Salmon w/Dill Chives and Coriander Rub



Egads! ~ I did a little coriander research, after I made the this rub, and was shocked to learn its family background:



Coriander is the seed of the same plant that gives us cilantro!  It’s from the same family, but having decidedly different flavors; with coriander being a light lemony, citrusy taste, while cilantro is soapy and pungent.


Fresh cilanto, corinader seeds and ground coriander


Julia Child loathed cilantro and so do I.  My nose can detect the odor of cilantro from across the restaurant, as I imagine it’s soapy taste.  I know many people who love it, but I consider cilantro the herb from hell.



There has actually been genetic research of cilantro, and it’s believed that the dislike of the herb is a partly inherited trait, linked to a variation in a gene associated with our sense of smell.  So ~ I’m blaming my cilantro loathing on my genes…
 
Coriander seed is the dried fruit of the coriander plant. It’s used primarily in Indian, Asian and Middle Eastern cuisines, Latin American also. When whole, coriander is used mainly in pickling and brining.  



When ground, it has a citrusy spicy flavor and can be added to pancake and waffle batters, sweet and savory dishes, vegetable dishes, stews, curries, marinades and rubs similar to my recipe here…



This is truly a great flavorful rub for salmon, adapted from a Cooking Light recipe.  Besides coriander, I added dill and chives (the recipe said use one or the other), and sesame seeds for a slightly nutty taste, with brown sugar sweetening the mixture just a bit.


Rubbed
Grilled


In a 2002 interview with Larry King, Julia Child told him she never ordered dishes with coriander.  She informed him, “I would pick it out and throw it on the floor.”  She would’ve stomped the life out of it, and I would do the same, Julia!



Bill grilled the salmon and we had a tasty dinner of it, brown rice and steamed asparagus!





What’s your take on coriander ~ cilantro?








Salmon w/Dill Chives and Coriander Rub

Adapted



Ingredients:



4 (6-ounce) salmon fillets

1 tablespoon olive oil

4 (6-ounce) salmon fillets

1 tablespoon each chopped fresh chives and dill

1 teaspoon ground coriander

1 tablespoon brown sugar

1 tablespoon black sesame seeds

½ teaspoon salt

½ teaspoon seasoned pepper



Method:



Brush salmon with oil.

Combine remaining ingredients and rub on salmon.

Allow to set for about 10 minutes.

Place salmon on grill under medium-high heat or in a non-stick skillet on the stovetop.

Cook until it flakes easily, about 12 minutes, turning once.





ENJOY!






Comments

  1. Pam, nice looking salmon. We absolutely love cilantro. I will admit, I have used very little coriander and I really can't even tell you how it tastes or smells. It is on my list to use a little bit more. Another spice I do not use but want to use more is cardamon. Just never grew up with the spice and that is the whole and only problem.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I grow cilantro and then use the leaves and then the coriander seeds. Though in some areas, they call the plant coriander as well. Doesn't matter what people call it, I love the stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fabulous salmon dish Pam. We both like cilantro and use it often. I've found the taste of cilantro sharp and distinctive but never soapy, but that's me. I know there are those that don't like it. In fact we had a guest say once (rather rudely) "what is in this that I don't like?"
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  4. I only recently realized the connection between coriander and cilantro. This salmon looks heavenly Pam. Thank you for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This salmon look georgeous Pam:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks to all of you! You either love it or hate it, I guess! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Pam, sorry I'm one of those people that actually love cilantro and coriander. Fantastic rub you put on the salmon, bet it turned out perfect. Happy week-end to you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well Pam, I have to say I LOVE the stuff - and your salmon looks wonderful - can't wait to try it!
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am a fan of both, but right now I'm craving your salmon with the coriander rub!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am sure this was good.
    Not a fan of either, overly.
    I don't care for the smell or
    taste of cilantro--a little
    of this goes along way and I don't
    do coriander at all.

    M : )

    ReplyDelete
  11. My mouth is watering, Pam. This is a great salmon recipe, I love that coriander rub.

    ReplyDelete
  12. My husband.. doesn't like it at all..I do ..
    Everything is such a matter of taste..
    We both love salmon though!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Pam, Looks like a great salmon entree! We just don't have fish enough at home... We've always been tentative about cooking it...a little fear of the unknown. We eat fish out a lot but we're trying to step it up at home as well. Thanks for the recipe! We finally got some decent rain down here this week. We're still 5.5 inches below normal. High 80's today... Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

    ReplyDelete
  14. I remember when I found out the connection between cilantro and coriander. It is hard to believe they are so different yet come from the same source. Your salmon sounds great.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Delicious and so summery! I love coriander seeds. They are so fragrant...

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  16. I like both, and I love salmon, so this looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Pam,
    I love both coriander and cilantro! Especially cilantro pesto, yummy deliciousness!
    Your salmon with the cilantro rub looks delicious! This is one meal that I know I would really enjoy!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

________________________

How am I supposed to relax in a world where “truffle” can mean either chocolate or fungus?
- from a cartoon by Dan Piraro
_______________

Hi!
I am happy to hear what you have to say, and appreciate your taking the time to stop by and leave a comment.
Keep Smiling,
Pam
_________________________