Asparagus with Toasted Black Sesame Seeds and Roasted Garlic Sea Salt



Asparagus season is here!



I see asparagus growing wild in the countryside around our area ~ it’s spindly, pencil-thin, and easily entangles itself in briars and grasses.  Through growing methods and knowledge, grocery store asparagus has a thicker stem and more edible flesh for cooking, not like wild asparagus at all.



There are records of asparagus being grown in ancient Rome and Greece.  Over 2,000 years ago, Egyptians cultivated asparagus for medicinal reasons, and it was apparently so revered, that they ceremoniously offered it up to the gods.



Aside from its delicious taste, it’s a popular veggie because of how speedily it cooks.  The saying, “as quick as you can cook asparagus” is an old Roman expression.  The Romans were so enamored of asparagus, that legend tells us they engaged a whole fleet of ships just for fetching it.



And, now for the recipe:  it’s a quick side dish filled with tasty flavors.  Garlic sea salt enhances the asparagus while roasted sesame seeds deliver a nutty flavor.  This is a delicious way to enjoy your asparagus and eat your veggies! 




Kudos to the asparagus gods!





Black Sesame Seed Asparagus



Ingredients:



1 pound asparagus

1 tablespoon olive oil

1 teaspoon white wine vinegar

½ teaspoon Morton Roasted Garlic Sea Salt*

½ teaspoon pepper

1 tablespoon black sesame seeds, toasted**


 Method:

Snap off woody ends of asparagus, rinse, slice into 2” pieces.
Fill a large saucepan with an inch or two of water, and bring to a boil.

Add asparagus, cover and cook for about 4-5 minutes, or until fork tender.

Drain well.

Combine remaining ingredients and toss lightly with asparagus.

3-4 servings







*This is a new item in the stores here; I think it’s great! 



**Toast black sesame seeds in a large skillet over medium-high heat and cover pan with a lid.  Some seeds will pop and the lid keeps them in the skillet.  Shake skillet after a minute, and then let heat for another minute or so, until there is a nutty aroma.  Pour seeds in a bowl until ready to use.






ENJOY!






20 comments:

  1. Thanks for another delicious recipe to add to my asparagus repertoire! It should be appearing in our farmers' market as soon as it opens.

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can always count on you to deliver the BEST of recipes! Asparagus is a favorite of ours. I'll have to look for the garlic sea salt!!
    Wishing you a fabulous day!!
    Shug

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love asparagus!

    Never tried with black sesame seeds..

    I will:)
    And then I'll check my teeth:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love to use dark sesame seeds and keep a jar on hand in the refrigerator. I've never seen wild asparagus, lucky you.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love asparagus Pam look delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pam, This recipe for asparagus sounds and looks great! We love asparagus...and we had some deep battered and deep fried just yesterday. Can't wait to try it prepared your way! Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very nice, I am going to try it ~

    ReplyDelete
  8. Asparagus is just now coming in in my neck of the woods. I could eat it every day! Yours looks perfect. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have never seen asparagus outside of the market/grocery store. How sad! I love it and will try making your version soon!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love asparagus although as a kid i hated them. This is a delicious dish!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks really good Pam. After about 20 years our asparagus seems to be playing out and will need to be replaced.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dear Pam, Thank you for that history. Imagine a whole fleet to get asparagus!!!
    Well, it is healthy and it is delicious!
    I like this version too. Have a nice day. Blessings, Catherine xo

    ReplyDelete
  13. This time of year I'm always looking for new ways to cook up asparagus. Your recipe looks both beautiful and delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Mr. Ken would eat this up!

    M : )

    ReplyDelete
  15. A new way to make asparagus! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Asparagus is so good! Our local season does not last long enough for me. Yum!

    Happy Mother's Day, Pam!
    ~Judy

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Pam,

    I'm back in the world of the blogs. Asparagus is one of my favorite veg's.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sounds delicious Pam, my asparagus patch is done for the year, but I can still pick up some in the grocery store. I love this veggie and your recipe sounds delicious!
    Roz

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love asparagus! It's one of my favorite vegetables. Funny because when I was a kid I hated it along with beets. That didn't stop my mom from buying it and putting it on my plate though. I guess she knew I'd grow to love it. Thanks for sharing your recipe. I'd love to try roasting it with the sesame seeds.

    ReplyDelete

πŸ’ πŸ’ πŸ’ πŸ’ πŸ’ πŸ’ πŸ’ πŸ’ πŸ’ πŸ’ πŸ’ πŸ’ πŸ’

The smells of slow cooking spread around the house and impart a unique warmth matched only by the flavour of the food.
~ Yotam Ottolenghi

πŸ’ πŸ’ πŸ’ πŸ’ πŸ’ πŸ’ πŸ’ πŸ’ πŸ’

Hi!
I am happy to hear what you have to say, and appreciate your taking the time to stop by and leave a comment.
Keep smiling!
Pam

πŸ’ πŸ’ πŸ’ πŸ’ πŸ’ πŸ’ πŸ’ πŸ’ πŸ’ πŸ’ πŸ’ πŸ’ πŸ’





Christmas cookies and happy hearts ~

that is the way

the holiday starts!




DINNER PARTY

DINNER PARTY
Jules-Alexandre Grun

ᴑᴏᴏ ʜᴏᴏ!!!

ᴑᴏᴏ ʜᴏᴏ!!!

United States 7.3.16

Flag Counter

Global Visitors 7.3.16

Flag Counter

ᴍΙͺΙ΄Ι΄Ιͺᴇ❣ 13 ʏᴇᴀʀs

ᴍΙͺΙ΄Ι΄Ιͺᴇ❣ 13 ʏᴇᴀʀs
May 5, 2004…

α΄α΄α΄α΄„Κœα΄‡Κ€ ❤ Κ€Ιͺᴘ ❤

α΄α΄α΄α΄„Κœα΄‡Κ€ ❀ Κ€Ιͺᴘ ❀
May 5, 2004 – Dec 16, 2014

THIS BLOG LAUNCHED OCTOBER 29, 2009

StatCounter

Total Pageviews