all sorts of recipes, from me to you

all sorts of recipes, from me to you…

Monday, April 7, 2014

Orange Roughy, Italian-style


This is a simple tasty dish with Italian flair, that's my twist on a Bush's Beans recipe.

The mild flaky fish, tomatoes and beans, plus seasonings, and a splash of red wine vinegar, makes for a delicious meal that's nutritious also.




There is no bean that is actually a "white bean."  Use your choice of beans, such as navy beans, cannelloni beans, pea beans, or Great Northern beans, which are smaller than navy beans, with similar taste and texture.

And, don't forget the thick slice of crusty bread for sopping up the juices! 

Orange Roughy, Italian-style
Adapted

Ingredients:

1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 cup green onions, sliced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 pound orange roughy fillets
Salt and seasoned pepper, to taste
1 tablespoon paprika
1 (14-ounce) can diced tomatoes
1 (15-ounce) can cannelloni beans (or any white bean), drained and rinsed
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
1 teaspoon dried basil

Method:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Heat oil in skillet over medium heat.
Add onions and garlic, cook until softened, stirring occasionally.
Meanwhile, season fish with salt and pepper and paprika.
Place in a baking dish.
Bake until fish flakes easily with a fork, about 15-20 minutes.
Add tomatoes to the skillet mixture and cook for 4 minutes.
Stir in beans, vinegar and basil.
Bring to a boil, simmer for 1 minute.
Plate fish and serve with bean mixture.
4 servings


ENJOY!





Pin It

19 comments:

From the Kitchen said...

Some of my favorite flavors in one dish! Just read in the new Cook's Illustrated that Bush's "white" beans were the best of those they tested. I didn't even know Bush did white beans!! The sun is peeking out. I'm going to do some raking of brown grass and hope to see green sprigs coming up!! Hope you have a sun-filled week.

Best,
Bonnie

The Happy Whisk said...

Looks good.

Nellie said...

Yum! Love orange roughy here!

Liz Berg said...

What a lovely idea for a fish topping! I'm a huge fan of canelloni beans. Beautiful, yummy AND healthy!

~~louise~~ said...

I'm not too sure about this combination of ingredients, Pam. However, it sure looks mighty enticing and since I do like each ingredient separately, I sure would be willing to give it a try! It sounds healthy and may just be delicious too! Thank you so much for sharing, Pam...

Sam Hoffer @ My Carolina Kitchen said...

I'm a big fan of beans and this looks delicious. I would probably chose tilapia as I don't see orange roughy very often any more.
Sam

La Table De Nana said...

You know..i've never added beans to such a dish..I like...

Amy said...

I'm not sure that I've ever had beans with fish before.... This looks like a delicious dish! Thanks so much for stopping by my blog. I'll be coming back again soon :-)

Grace said...

This is an interesting combination, fish and beans ~ Thanks Pam ~

Shug said...

I know not to ask if those are home grown onions with all the bad weather you all have had. This looks so tasty...
hugs

What's Baking?? said...

Love a plate if this yummy food. So tempting...

Becky said...

Pam,
I love Orange Roughy, but have never tried it with beans before. Looks like a great combo. Great Pic.

Velva said...

The white beans are a nice addition to the orange roughy- it looks delicious.

Velva

David said...

Pam, This is what I like to see... A fairly simple fish entree! We don't cook much seafood at home but this one looks possible even with our lack of confidence... Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

Anna and Liz Recipes said...

Yum Pam! We love beans and this recipe is sure to be a winner!
Great job!

Monet said...

We discovered orange roughy a few years ago...so good! Can't wait to make this recipe!

Katerina said...

Bold and super tasty! I love it!

Joanne said...

I love the simple seasonings served with this!

Dan Mikesell said...

I have got to try something other than Tilapia. This looks like a great start