all sorts of recipes, from me to you

all sorts of recipes, from me to you…

Monday, April 14, 2014

Cuban Picadillo Sloppy Joes plus Tetrad with a Blood Moon and a Happy Anniversary…


I’m envious of our good Canadian friends who vacation in Cuba frequently ~ this recipe is about as close as we will get to it!






Anyway, I love picadillo!  (Say peek-ah-DEE-yoh.)  It’s derived from the Spanish verb “picar,” which means to mince into small pieces.  The basic ingredients are ground beef, onions and tomatoes, with each Latin American country having its own rendition, but its heart belongs to Cuba.

What makes the Cuban-style hash especially appetizing is the addition of green olives, capers and raisins or currants ~ it’s a great mixture of salty and sweet, with different textures and various flavors, blending together to form the distinctive Cuban dish. 





I took it one step further, and turned the picadillo into sloppy joes.  This makes a lot:  if there is any left over, you are the lucky one, as it’s even better then!  It’s comfy, home-style cooking at its best!


Cuban Picadillo Sloppy Joes

Ingredients:

2 teaspoons olive oil
1½ cups onion, chopped
2 tablespoons garlic, minced
2 pounds 90% lean ground beef
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 tablespoon dried oregano
2 (15-ounce) cans crushed tomatoes, undrained
1/3 cup tomato paste
4 tablespoons red wine vinegar
1 teaspoon brown sugar
½ cup dried currants
½ cup green olives with pimento, chopped
2 tablespoons capers, rinsed and drained
Hamburger buns

Method:

Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
Add onion and garlic, sauté 3 minutes.
Add beef to pan, crumble and brown.
Stir in ingredients through brown sugar.
Reduce heat to low; simmer about 20 minutes, until liquid reduces, stirring occasionally.
Stir in currants, capers and olives, cook for 5 minutes.
Serve on toasted hamburger buns.
Makes 10-12 sandwiches


Buen provecho!



By the way…
 
Tonight and tomorrow, kicks off a tetrad:  the first of four lunar eclipses in a row ~ the only such quartet in a span of 28 years.   A full lunar eclipse in North America will occur, presenting a blood moon.  Mars will be closest to Earth for the year.  It’s around 1:00 a.m. CST, and will last 78 minutes.  I hope to see it!  Will you be watching?





And it’s our 47th wedding anniversary tomorrow!  Our anniversary, a total lunar eclipse, income tax day, what a day!

 HAPPY ANNIVERSARY, DEAR BILL!!!
   






Pin It

20 comments:

Gloria Baker said...

This look absolutely tempting and delicious dear really good and Happy Anniversary!!
xxxx

From the Kitchen said...

I love this dish! Haven't made sloppy joe's since the boys moved away but keep meaning to! Happy anniversary. Hope you have enough money left from paying your taxes to celebrate well!! =)

Best,
Bonnie

~~louise~~ said...

I love picadillo too, Pam and the notion of preparing it as Sloppy Joes just sends me overboard! (about as close as I will get to Cuba also, {sigh}...Thanks for sharing, Pam...

Nellie said...

What a tempting recipe! I must give it a try!

We will be asleep at this eclipse time. There is expected to be cloud cover here, anyway.

Sending you happy anniversary wishes! You are ahead of us by two!

Shug said...

Sounds like a BIG day is about to happen. Happy Anniversary to you guys!! I can't wait to see the blood moon...it is being talked about so much here in our area.
Not sure I've ever had a cuban dish...but it sounds and looks delish. was surprised to see it had raisens!!
Hope you have a beautiful day tomorrow on your Anniversary.
Shug

jose manuel said...

Sensacional el bocadillo.

David said...

Pam, My better half would love this dish! It's got all of her favorites included to kick it up a notch... Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

Katerina said...

Happy Anniversary Pam! This is a delicious Sloppy Joes!

Sam Hoffer @ My Carolina Kitchen said...

I know I would love the salty/sweet combination. Happy Anniversary to you both and congratulations on number forty-seven. We're not far behind you.
Sam

Big Dude said...

The Cuban Picadillo Sloppy Joes look delicious Pam. I have to read about the overnight events though.

GLENDA CHILDERS said...

Happy Anniversary, Pam. How nice of the moon to celebrate with you.

Fondly,
Glenda

SavoringTime in the Kitchen said...

I love a good sloppy joe and this Cuban-flavored version sounds delicious!

If I wake up tonight I'll have to peek out the window to see if I can spot the eclipse.

Happy Anniversary!

Ann said...

oooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...i can smell the deliciousness from here!!!
my mouth is watering!!!
thanks so much for sharing this~

Monet said...

Happy Anniversary. And my oh my, this looks so good. I love sloppy joes!

Gone-ta-pott said...

Now that's what I should of had for lunch today instead of my boring tacos I made.

Chris said...

Can you believe that I have never had picadillo before? But it sounds absolutely fantastic!

Catherine said...

Dear Pam, This does sound delish!!
I love dished like this flavorful and cozy.
Have a beautiful Easter weekend my friend.
Blessings, Catherine xo

kitchen flavours said...

It looks delicious, Pam! And turning it into sloppy joes is simply mouth-watering!
Happy Easter!

Carol Z said...

Belated happy anniversary wishes! Definitely need to try this recipe. Just my kind of dinner.

Abbe Odenwalder said...

Happy Anniversary, Pam! Love this picadillo and we saw the eclipse, too! Pretty cool, huh?