all sorts of recipes, from me to you

all sorts of recipes, from me to you…

Friday, March 28, 2014

Tangy and a little bit Sweet Balsamic Coleslaw ~ GO CARDS!!!



What is served alongside sandwiches in a little paper cup, always goes to family reunions and company picnics, and generally remains untouched by most people?

It’s coleslaw!   Why does coleslaw get a bum rap?






Coleslaw can be traced back to the ancient Romans, when dishes of cabbage, eggs, vinegar and spices were served.  Years later, the Dutch claimed land in New York, and grew cabbage along the Hudson River.  They shredded their cabbage for a salad and called it “koosla.”

Whether creamy with mayonnaise, sweet with pineapple or savory with bacon, I like about any version.  And, it doesn’t have to be overwhelmed with mayonnaise and sugar to be delicious; this version is the proof.

This vinaigrette combines balsamic vinegar with cider vinegar, sugar, and Dijon mustard for a smooth, tangy dressing.  It’s a colorful coleslaw that is good any time of the year.  For a particularly nutty flavor, use Savoy cabbage instead of green cabbage.






A little sweet ~ a little tangy, it’s delicious!
How about you, are you eating your coleslaw today? 


Tangy Balsamic Coleslaw

Ingredients:

1 small head green cabbage, shredded
½ small head red cabbage, shredded
1/3 cup sliced green onions
¼ cup chopped parsley

For the dressing:

¼ cup sugar or Splenda
¼ cup cider vinegar
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1 tablespoon canola oil
¼ teaspoon celery seed
¼ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon seasoned pepper

Method:

Pour shredded cabbage, onions and parsley into a large bowl.
In another bowl, whisk together the sugar, both vinegars, mustard, oil, and salt and pepper. 
Pour the dressing over the slaw and mix well.
Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours before serving.



ENJOY!


GO CARDS!!!

BEAT CATS!

TONIGHT!












Pin It

19 comments:

  1. This would be great at Easter too!

    I live in a tiny town outside of Montréal,Québec...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love káposzta (cabbage). Good stuff. But yes, it does get a bad rap. For sure.

    Nice to meet you. I've added you to my blog as well, and I look forward to learning more about you.

    Thanks for stopping by today. Cheers and boogie boogie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love coleslaw! It is the perfect touch for many menus!

    The Vols play Michigan tonight. Yikes! On Sunday it is the Lady Vols and Maryland. Yikes again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My husband loves coleslaw and I try to make several versions. I must try yours too. I agree it gets a bad wrap, but often it is way too sweet or has too much mayonnaise and is heavy.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  5. this looks wonderful Pam, thanks for stopping by! I love cole slaw.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pam,
    I usually only make cole slaw in the summer for cookouts, but your recipe looks good for all year round.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds good and I could use a variation. We had coleslaw for lunch today. I just mix lemon juice and a little Truvia with mayo and then add the cabbage and carrot mixture. I love it and it's so good for you! Happy weekend my friend! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks good and nice to meet you ~

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mildly sweet and tangy...that's my flavours. Your coleslaw looks really appetizing, Pam.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Pam, This is the way I like my coleslaw. Tangy with a vinegar base. Sorry about Louisville... Our Vols lost too. On the other hand, Michigan State, my family's university, won and is moving into the quarterfinals! Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

    ReplyDelete
  11. I LOVE coleslaw so no bad rap from me.

    Go Badgers :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love coleslaw Pam and your version sounds great. Hope you can make it to the Blogger event at Larry's.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sounds like a really good version Pam

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Pam , my family loves coleslaw and I know they will love this dish , the ingredients are delicious . Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I like just about any version of slaw...goes great with so many meals!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Scrumptious! I am a big fan of coleslaw.

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  17. I actually had cole slaw with lunch. I am a cabbage fan and I'd like to try the dijon mustard in the dressing.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh my it's official, Pam! It's Coleslaw time!!! I love that you included a taste of history with your delicious sounding recipe. Who knew:) Thanks for sharing, Pam...

    ReplyDelete

I'm happy to hear what you have to say, and appreciate your taking the time to comment. Thanks for stopping by and sharing your thoughts!

Keep smiling,
Pam