Heart-of-My-Heart Cookies for Valentine’s Day



No doubt about it, I love Valentine’s Day!



Maybe because it’s a fun diversion in mid-winter, or maybe because of goodies like these cookies!




I’ve tried countless sugar cookie recipes and this one, from Betty Crocker, is about the best I’ve made. It’s a simple recipe, I will be using again, for a great crunchy cookie.



The dough is easy to work with after being refrigerated a couple of hours.  If you refrigerate it over-nite like I do, let it set at room temperature an hour to warm up before shaping into hearts.








Oven-ready!


The best part of the cookie is the great flavor  ~~~  

I just wish I had the patience and the knack of decorating them that my MIL had!



You know the saying:  “Betcha can’t eat just one!”



Here’s wishing you all

the

Happiest Valentine’s Day!



Heart-of-My-Heart Cookies

Adapted



Ingredients:



1 cup butter, softened

1½ cups powdered sugar

1 teaspoon vanilla

1 egg

2½ cups flour

1 teaspoon baking soda

1 teaspoon cream of tartar

¼ teaspoon salt



Method:



In large bowl, beat butter, powdered sugar, vanilla and egg with electric mixer on medium speed, or mix with spoon.

Stir in flour, baking soda, and cream of tartar.

Cover, refrigerate for 2 hours or overnite.



Heat oven to 375 degrees.

Divide dough in half.

On lightly floured surface, roll each half ¼” thick.

Cut with 3½” heart-shaped cookie cutter.

On ungreased cookie sheet, place cutouts 2” apart.

If desired, sprinkle with colored sugars.

Bake 8 to 10 minutes or until slightly golden.

Remove from cookie sheet to cooling rack and cool completely, about 30 minutes.



Decorate with vanilla frosting, if desired and sprinkles.





Simple Vanilla Frosting



Ingredients:



¼ cup butter, softened

Dash salt

1 teaspoon vanilla

2 tablespoons milk

2 cups powdered sugar



Method:



In a medium size bowl, combine all of the ingredients.

Mix by hand or electric mixer until smooth and spreadable.
Makes 2 to 2½ dozen cookies





ENJOY!










16 comments:

  1. What pretty cookies. I know we can't eat just one:)

    Happy Valentine's Day Pam.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pam, love these cookies, look beautiful and cute!
    happy Valentine's day dear!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. looks wonderful pam happy valentines

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pam, Love sugar cookies with a bit of frosting! These look great. Happy Valentine's Day! Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sugar cookies are my favorite....I've always wanted to be able make them (look pretty) but no luck here. Maybe someday!!
    Happy Valentines day to you my friend...
    shug

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had to smile because my cookie decorating skills are awful. I'm glad for the recommendation on a good sugar cookie! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How pretty! They almost look too pretty to eat...almost! Happy Valentines day! xox

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello Pam... and thanks so much for visiting my blog and your nice comment... your cookies look delish!... Happy Valentines Day to you, xoxo Julie Marie

    ReplyDelete
  9. They are cute cute:-)
    I will keep the recipe..for the boys to cut out..:-)
    Hope you are having a lovely day:-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. The cookies are so cute!! What a fun Valentine's Day gift!! Thanks for sharing :)
    Best Crest Cleaners - janitorialserviceseattle.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. When first I saw this title, Pam, I thought of a very old song my father use to sing around the house...It went something like, Heart of My Heart when friends were dear again...it was a long, long time ago. As for those cookies, they look oh so pretty. I bet they taste yummy too. You did a great job of decorating. I usually have two left feet when it comes to decorating, lol...

    Thanks for sharing...

    ReplyDelete
  12. You can't beat a good sugar cookie! Happy Valentines day!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oooo, those look really good.
    I bet your Valentine's enjoyed
    them.

    M : )

    ReplyDelete
  14. Dear Pam,
    I hope your day was beautiful.
    The cookies look wonderful.
    Blessings dear. Catherine xo

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Pam,
    Your cookies looks wonderful! I'm all for crunchy cookies!
    Hope you had a fabulous Valentine's Day with your family!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Perfect for Valentine's Day - or any day, actually. Betty Crocker is an "old friend" of mine!:-)

    ReplyDelete

***************************************************************************
Eat, Drink and Be Thankful!
***************************************************************************
Hi!
I am happy to hear what you have to say, and appreciate your taking the time to stop by and leave a comment.
Keep smiling!
Pam
***************************************************************************




“He shoveled the bacon out on a plate and broke the eggs in the hot grease, and they jumped and fluttered their edges to brown lace and make clucking sounds.”

~ John Steinbeck, East of Eden



DINNER PARTY

DINNER PARTY
Jules-Alexandre Grun

ᴡᴏᴏ ʜᴏᴏ!!!

ᴡᴏᴏ ʜᴏᴏ!!!

United States 7.3.16

Flag Counter

Global Visitors 7.3.16

Flag Counter

ᴍɪɴɴɪᴇ❣ 13 ʏᴇᴀʀs

ᴍɪɴɴɪᴇ❣ 13 ʏᴇᴀʀs
May 5, 2004…

ᴍᴏᴏᴄʜᴇʀ ❤ ʀɪᴘ ❤

ᴍᴏᴏᴄʜᴇʀ ❤ ʀɪᴘ ❤
May 5, 2004 – Dec 16, 2014

THIS BLOG LAUNCHED OCTOBER 29, 2009

StatCounter

Total Pageviews