all sorts of recipes, from me to you

all sorts of recipes, from me to you…

Monday, January 13, 2014

Roast Chicken with Old-fashioned Dressing



Who wouldn't like golden roast chicken, especially with a couple of spoonfuls of dressing on the side?

Roast chicken that’s crispy on the outside, juicy and succulent on the inside makes for an uncomplicated easy meal. For me, it requires only three ingredients ~ butter, salt and pepper.





I like roast chicken with a basic dressing, just like Mom used to make way back when. Throughout the year, I save the ends and crusts of white, wheat and rye bread in a plastic bag in the freezer. Then, when needed, I use a coarse box grater, to make the breadcrumbs. 

This recipe is about warm comforting down-home food that’s good enough for company! 

And, if there’s one dish that makes me contented on a cold winter days like we’ve been having, this is it! 



Roast Chicken with Old-fashioned Dressing

Ingredients:

1 large roaster chicken, about 5 pounds
1 loaf of dried bread, grated
¾ stick butter
1 onion, finely chopped
1 cup finely chopped celery
1 teaspoon crumbled dried sage
1 teaspoon crumbled dried parsley
½ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon seasoned pepper
2 eggs, beaten lightly
¼ cup chicken broth, more if needed
2 tablespoons melted butter

Method:

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Melt butter in large stockpot and sauté onion and celery until soft. 
Add breadcrumbs, sage, parsley, salt and pepper and combine.
Remove from heat and let stand 30 minutes to cool.
Add eggs and mix lightly.
Add ¼ cup broth, and combine well, add more if needed.
Add only enough broth to hold stuffing together.
Sprinkle chicken cavity with salt and pepper.
Stuff chicken, packing it lightly with room to
expand.
Rub outside of chicken with melted butter and sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper.
Place chicken in roaster and bake at 400 degrees for 15 minutes.
Reduce heat to 350 degrees and bake for another 1½ to 2 hours or until meat thermometer inserted in inner thigh area registers 180 degrees and stuffing registers 165 degrees.
Baste every 15 to 20 minutes.
Let chicken rest for at least 15 minutes before carving.
Serves 5-7 people


ENJOY!








20 comments:

From the Kitchen said...

I would have never thought to use a box grater for making breadcrumbs! That will be filed under "helpful hints"! The chicken looks delicious! It is 42 degrees this morning. I'm outta here!

Best,
Bonnie

Gloria Baker said...

Look amazing Pam like all your delicious foo you always make!!!!
xxxx

Nellie said...

My very favorite meal! I don't seem to have an easy time finding chickens as large as I'd like to have, though. They are usually on the small side. Great recipe!

Big Dude said...

Good looking meal Pam and I could go for a plate right now. Your stuffing recipe sounds like what my mom made except she crumbled rather than grated the bread.

Shug said...

I've always wondered about this...I suppose this is the reason some call it stuffing. Being from Texas and the South....we fix it with cornbread and it is called Dressing.
I do use some breads, but mostly cornbread. I'm sure they both taste delicious.... Glad to know how to make stuffing.

Have a great evening...
shug

William Stoneman said...

Pam my ultimate comfort meal!! Thanks.

jose manuel said...

Que delicia, se ve fantástico.

Saludos

David said...

Pam, Roasted chicken with dressing (and a little chicken gravy)is one of my favorites. I like the dressing with a little spicy sausage in it from time to time also! Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

Sam Hoffer @ My Carolina Kitchen said...

Chicken and dressing is an all time favorite. It's going to get cold down this way and this would make me feel good, very, very good.
Sam

Monet said...

Talk about comfort food. A roast chicken tastes so good and it makes your house smell even better!

What's Baking?? said...

You are making me hungry Pam!

Rhodesia said...

Nothing better than a good roast chicken :-)) Have a good week. Diane

Catherine said...

Dear Pam,

One of my favorite meals. Blessings dear. Catherine xo

Becky said...

Pam,
We need all the comfort food we can get in this weather, and your Roast Chicken and Dressing fits the bill perfectly. My Mom used to call it dressing, too.

Monica said...

There is most definitely something special about roasting a chicken for your family and sitting down to that dinner. I've never made it with dressing and I bet it's beyond flavorful!

~~louise~~ said...

Hi Pam!

Oh my, Nothing beats a golden roasted chicken with old fashioned stuffing. I need to get us some chicken quick. I haven't made one in way too long!

Thank you so much for sharing, Pam...

La Table De Nana said...

What a treat.. a feast..:)

Tricia Buice said...

My mom used to use the grater to make dressing too. This looks absolutely amazing Pam!

Joanne said...

Total comfort food!!

laurie said...

I can't think of anything better than this!