Herbed Navy Bean Soup



The taste and creamy texture of navy beans is addictive to me.  So, in my thinking, navy bean soup is nearly a perfect food, especially when it’s so cold outside.  Now that I’m experimenting more with herbs, it only gets better!





Navy beans are easy to cook while being a great source of protein, minerals and B vitamins, not to mention they can stretch a dollar.



My soup starts with a chicken broth base to which chopped veggies were added.  A good blend of herbs for seasoning and little chunks of ham rounds it out.  You might include chopped parsley ~ I include celery leaves instead.




Now, for the recipe of this delicious soup:





Herbed Navy Bean Soup



Ingredients:



1 pound dried navy beans, sorted and rinsed

3 cups low-sodium chicken broth

1 cup water

1 large onion, chopped

2 carrots, sliced

3 green onions, green and white parts, chopped

½ cup celery leaves, chopped

3 garlic cloves, minced

½ teaspoon dried tarragon

½ teaspoon basil

½ teaspoon rosemary

1 cup ham steak, cubed (or smoked ham hocks)



Method:



Add beans, broth and water to large pan and bring to a boil over high heat.

Add remaining ingredients and bring to a boil again.

Reduce heat to medium-low.

Cook until beans are tender, 90 minutes to 2 hours.

To thicken, mash a few beans at a time to the side of the pan.

Stir well and serve.





ENJOY!!!







Comments

  1. Navy Bean Soup is such a belly warmer, Pam. Just what we need this time of year. I like that you used the celery leaves in the soup. I'm not crazy about celery but the leaves are just light enough to add a bit of celery flavor. I must remember that next time. I usually add thyme to bean soups but I'm liking the addition of Rosemary in yours:) Thank you so much for sharing, Pam...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ham beans and delicious herbs go together so well..

    I had a scone for lunch..this would have been far better:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is not my mama's soup beans - sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks fantastic for this chilly damp night we're having.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  5. Perfect for a cold winter day! I hope you are staying safe and warm, Pam!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pam, We love navy bean, lima bean and split pea soup! Yours looks like true cold weather comfort food... I had an excellent bowl of navy bean soup at a local restaurant tonight. It was so good that we ordered 2 bowls of it to go for later this weekend! Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a hearty comfort-filled soup!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Pam,
    My hubby would love this soup with the beans, herbs and ham. A great way to warm up after shoveling snow! My Mom used to make this soup, but beans don't like me, so I couldn't eat it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear Pam, Delicious!!! blessings, Catherine xo

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

________________________

Sandwiches are wonderful. You don’t need a spoon or a plate.
- Paul Lynde
_______________

Hi!
I am happy to hear what you have to say, and appreciate your taking the time to stop by and leave a comment.
Keep Smiling,
Pam
_________________________

Printfriendly


When you feel like eating boiled eggs,

if you have some truffles in the house,

put them in a basket

with the eggs

and the next day you will have the

best boiled eggs you have ever tasted in your gastronomic life.

--- M.Des Ombiaux



Popular posts from this blog

Tender and Delicious Italian-Style Baked Chicken Breasts

Succulent Slow-cooker Pork Loin in Gravy

Bubba’s Winning Homemade Summer Sausage

The Best Lemon Pound Cake ~ I’m Telling You the Truth!

Like on Facebook

Follow on Pinterest

Dinner Party

Dinner Party
Jules-Alexandre Grun

Since 2009