Southern-Style Cornbread Lightened Up



Cornbread is a favorite of mine and I found this lightened up version that’s delicious.  I’m not saying it’s better than the traditional cornbread, but it fills the bill for a cornbread craving!



This cornbread is moist and fluffy with a bit of tang from the buttermilk.  It’s adapted from a Cooking Light recipe; using stone-ground cornmeal to give it a great coarse sandy texture.  Simple, good and easy!


Southern-Style Cornbread Lightened Up 

Ingredients:

1½ cups stone-ground cornmeal
3 tablespoons flour
¼ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
¼ teaspoon baking soda
1 cup fat-free or low-fat buttermilk
Egg substitute equivalent to 1 egg
1 tablespoon canola oil

Method:

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
Coat and 8-inch square baking pan with non-stick cooking spray.
Add cornmeal and flour to a large bowl.
Whisk in salt, baking powder and baking soda.
Make a well in the center.
Combine buttermilk, egg substitute and oil in a small bowl and mix thoroughly.
Pour buttermilk mixture into well of dry ingredients and combine, do not over-stir.
Pour into prepared pan.
Bake 20 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
Cut into squares and serve warm. 

ENJOY!!!

Be sure to visit my friend, Linda’s blog, @My Kind of Cooking for great tips and delicious easy recipes.




Comments

  1. Love your cornbread Pam!! Look delicious!xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just bought cornmeal yesterday ... it must be a sign. :)

    Fondly,
    Glenda

    ReplyDelete
  3. I recently made a big pot of pinto beans and ham. I thought immediately a good side f cornbread would have been perfect.

    This looks so good!

    Velva

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a big pot of greens cooking and cornbread would be perfect with them. This looks great! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not sure what we would do around here (in East Texas0 without cornbread! Cornbread is a staple for the many beans, turnip greens and collards that everyone eats.
    Looks delicious!!

    Shug

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cornbread, yum! I am bookmarking this recipe. I like the Buttermilk ingredient, Pam. Thanks!
    ~Judy

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love cornbread any way I can get it. This sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love cornbread too, Pam. It is one of my all time favorites. Thank you for sharing. This healthy version looks particularly tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You're talking this ole southern girl's language with cornbread. Your recipe sounds delightful Pam and very similar to my mother's.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  10. I adore cornbread... and a healthier version isn't not a bad way to go. Will definitely be giving this a try!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The cornbread sounds good Pam, but the bean soup looks really good.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Pam, This is my kind of cornbread! Add strawberry preserves and consume... Thanks and Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

    ReplyDelete
  13. Cornbread is one of my favourites! This would be perfect with a bowl of chillis too! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yum, I love cornbread, lightened up or otherwise :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. though this is not the cornbread of my grandfather's childhood, i'll bet he'd still love it. if he'd been eating this one all of his life, he might not have that huge gut. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

________________________

How am I supposed to relax in a world where “truffle” can mean either chocolate or fungus?
- from a cartoon by Dan Piraro
_______________

Hi!
I am happy to hear what you have to say, and appreciate your taking the time to stop by and leave a comment.
Keep Smiling,
Pam
_________________________