all sorts of recipes, from me to you…


Monday, October 28, 2013

Cabbage in Mustard-Caraway Sauce


The distinct anise-like taste of caraway fuses perfectly with cabbage.  



Bill and I both like cooked cabbage and I was happy to see this recipe in the American Heart Association Cookbook.  The spicy mustard, yogurt and seasonings round out the sauce smoothly, making this cabbage a tasty side dish for most any meat.

Try this, if you’re a fan of cabbage too!

Cabbage in Mustard-Caraway Sauce

Ingredients:

8 cups coarsely chopped cabbage

For the sauce:

2 cups fat-free, low sodium chicken broth
½ - 1 tablespoon spicy brown mustard
2 teaspoons cornstarch
½ teaspoon caraway seeds
¼ cup fat-free or light plain yogurt
¼ teaspoon grated lemon zest
¼ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon pepper

Method:

Steam the cabbage for 5 minutes, until tender-crisp, drain, set aside.
Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan, whisk together the sauce ingredients.
Cook for 2-3 minutes on low, until thickened.
Add cabbage and stir until well coated.
Cook for 2-3 minutes, or until heated through, don’t overcook.

ENJOY!

Be sure to visit my friend, Linda’s blog, @My Kind of Cooking for great tips and delicious easy recipes!







14 comments:

  1. I love mustard with cabbage. I have a big fat head of cabbage in my fridge, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love cooked cabbage too Pam, this sounds delicious:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pam, This is a great change of pace from the 'normal' cole slaw recipes! Sounds great...thanks for the recipe and Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum....cooked cabbage...one of my favs. The rest of this crew gives it a thumbs down, so I eat it ever chance I get when we go out to a country style kitchen.
    adding the yogurt is new for me, but sounds delish...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really enjoy cabbage. This is a really nice side dish. I have planted twenty green cabbage plants and look forward to the harvest. I have saved this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like cooked cabbage too, but Chris does not, so I don't get it very often. Might have to make this one night when he's not around :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love cabbage! And have never cooked them with yoghurt before. Sounds good to me! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I enjoy cabbage in salads and cooked. This sounds delicious.

    Happy fall.

    Fondly,
    Glenda

    ReplyDelete
  9. We love cabbage and this sounds like it could be a hit here as well. Have a good day Diane

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am a HUGE cabbage fan. I'll be making this soon! Thank you for sharing such a delicious veggie dish. I hope you are having a happy start to your week!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dear Pam, This is a wonderful side.
    I hope all is well.
    p.s. Stop by my blog for a giveaway of 100 Cookie Cookbook.
    Blessings dear. Catherine xo

    ReplyDelete
  12. Apart from the distinctive smell of cabbage while it is cooked I really love it! This is a beautiful way to make it so full of aromas!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That does sound good. I love Greek non-fat yogurt, I almost use it exclusively instead of sour cream now.

    ReplyDelete

_____________________________________

"It's the onions. They're only supposed to sweat, but they fell down exhausted."

~~~ Mrs. Patmore, Downton Abbey (about a failed broth)

_______________________________________

Hi!
I am happy to hear what you have to say, and appreciate your taking the time to stop by and leave a comment.
Keep Smiling,
Pam