Turkey & Zucchini Lasagna



Here’s a perfect way to have your lasagna and eat it too ~ without feeling guilty!
That is, if you want lasagna with fewer calories, less fat and carbs, that tastes delicious.






Lean ground turkey makes this a low-fat, high-protein dish.  I used light ricotta cheese; low-fat cottage cheese could be used.




The “noodles” are made of zucchini, instead of traditional lasagna noodles.  The zucchini holds up well during baking.  And, it adds another vegetable to your daily quota. 


 



This is an adapted recipe from Guideposts.  It’s a simple recipe that’s just as good as the traditional dish, but much better ~ healthier ~ for us! 
Plus, it helps utilize all that good zucchini from your garden ~ or your neighbors’!

Turkey & Zucchini Lasagna 

Ingredients:

Olive oil cooking spray
1 small onion, chopped
½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 pound ground turkey breast
1 (28-ounce) can diced tomatoes
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon seasoned pepper
2 medium zucchini
1 cup light ricotta cheese
½ cup Parmesan, freshly grated

Method:

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
Spray non-stick skillet with cooking spray.
Place over medium heat and add onion and
red pepper flakes, cook until onion is tender.
Add turkey, breaking up large pieces, cook
until brown.
Add tomatoes and bring to a boil, reduce
heat, simmer until thickened.
Stir in oregano and pepper.
Let cool.
Slice zucchini lengthwise into 1/8-inch-thick strips.
Put 5 or 6 strips, overlapping slightly, in bottom of 8x8-inch baking dish.
Top with 1 cup of sauce.
Dot with ¼ cup of ricotta.
Repeat layers twice, alternating direction of zucchini.
Top with remaining zucchini and spray with cooking spray.
Sprinkle Parmesan over top.
Bake 50 to 60 minutes, until lasagna is bubbling and top is brown
Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
Serves 8

ENJOY!!!

Be sure to visit my friend, Linda's blog, My Kind of Cooking, for her great cookbooks, tips and delicious recipes!






Comments

  1. Pam,
    Your Zucchini Lasagna looks fabulous, healthy, but still delicious. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. pam! this zucchini lasagna look amazing I love zucchinis!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I believe this is the healthiest lasagna I've ever seen. Bravo Pam.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pam, For a minute there, I thought you were offering meatless lasagna! Scared me for sure... I was glad to see the ground turkey in the mix. Sounds great to me...a lighter version of what is often a truly heavy dish! Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like a good way to use up the zuke crop and get a healthier lasagna to boot.

    ReplyDelete
  6. this looks so good!!
    i'm going to make this !!!
    thanks for sharing this recipe!!
    have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a healthy and delicious lasagna! And this is a great way to use up the ample amounts of zucchini we have right now. Thank you for sharing Pam!

    ReplyDelete
  8. We all need more recipes using zucchini and this is a winner Pam. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sorry I have not been visiting. Not only have I been very busy, but our internet connection seems to have got even slower, not that I thought it was possible but it obviously is!! Every post I look at takes me about 15 mins and it is driving me nuts. This is a great recipe and with all the courgettes I have, a great way to use them up. Have a good day. Diane

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have heard of this recipe before and it seems to be healthier. Just may have to sneak this one in on my family crew and see if they notice!
    Hope you have a GOOOOD Week..
    Hugs to ya
    shug

    ReplyDelete
  11. A true veggies lasagna... I love this idea!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dear Pam, A beautiful and healthy dish.
    The zucchini does work well and it is an easy way to slip in an extra veggie.
    Hope all is well. Blessings dearest. Catherine xo

    ReplyDelete
  13. I must be truthful here. I know I
    would miss the origional version.
    I'm sure this is good and it is a
    great way to use up any zucchini
    one may have on hand.

    M :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

________________________

How am I supposed to relax in a world where “truffle” can mean either chocolate or fungus?
- from a cartoon by Dan Piraro
_______________

Hi!
I am happy to hear what you have to say, and appreciate your taking the time to stop by and leave a comment.
Keep Smiling,
Pam
_________________________