all sorts of recipes, from me to you

all sorts of recipes, from me to you…

Thursday, February 7, 2013

From Hungarian Pork Chops to Paprika to Flamingos



I like it when paprika shares the spotlight with other ingredients in a recipe ~ not only for the great color, but also the sweet spicy taste.





These pork chops are browned quickly in a skillet, and then simmered in a sour cream sauce loaded with paprika, sherry, ketchup, caraway seeds and more.  The aroma is outstanding while they simmer, ending with a tender mouthwatering chop!






Paprika is made from dried ground chile peppers, capsicum annuum, which originated in southern Mexico.  Christopher Columbus gets the credit for introducing the chile to Europe. 

These peppers reached the Balkans in the 1560’s and were called peperke or paparka.  The peppers quickly made their way to Hungary, now renowned for its paprika.  Kalocsa, Hungary is even home to The Paprika Museum, with the city celebrating its famous spice at the Paprika Festival each year in October. 



The Paprika Museum
Paprika history
Chile peppers hanging in museum
For sale
Paprika Festival


Western kitchens became familiar with paprika years later, in the mid-1900’s.  South America, Spain, Mediterranean regions, India, and California join Hungary as major producers of paprika.

 
Paprika is used as a coloring agent in foods and cosmetics. The flamingos in zoos have paprika included in their feed to keep their pink plumage bright and beautiful!






Serve these Hungarian pork chops with buttered egg noodles to soak up the scrumptious sauce, or mashed potatoes, or rice ~ about anything, really! 



Good sauce!

Starting to simmer



Hungarian Pork Chops

Ingredients:

4 pound boneless pork loin chops
¼ cup flour
Salt and seasoned pepper, to taste
2-3 tablespoons canola oil
1 cup sour cream
1 cup chicken stock, low salt
¼ cup dry sherry
¼ cup ketchup
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1½ tablespoons sweet or hot paprika, your preference
1 tablespoon caraway seeds

Method:

Season pork chops with salt and pepper.
Dredge in flour.
Heat oil in skillet and brown seasoned chops.
In a medium bowl, combine the sour cream with the remaining ingredients and pour over chops.
Cover and simmer gently over low heat for about 45 minutes to an hour, until fork-tender.
Serve

ENJOY!!!



Be sure to visit my friend, Linda’s blog, @My Kind of Cooking for great tips and delicious easy recipes! 






20 comments:

From the Kitchen said...

I'd love to sit down to a plate of these chops!! I had no idea that flamingos were kept colorful by ingesting paprika. Growing up, the only time we had paprika was sprinkled on deviled eggs. It wasn't until I met my lovely (now deceased) Hungarian cooking "mentor" that I learned to use that smokey goodness in other dishes.

Best,
Bonnie

Jenn Kendall said...

these are some fantastic pork chops! sooo much delicious flavor in this!

Becky said...

There is so much flavor in these wonderful chops, including the paprika. they are also nice and hearty for our cold snowy weather.

StephenC said...

Very interesting recipe - very appealing as well.

David said...

Pam, Great looking paprika pork chops! Love pork and this sauce will really kick up the flavors and get the taste buds rocking! Thanks for the recipe! Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

Shug said...

Who knew....about the flamingos?? Not me. How interesting.
I am definitely a pork chop eater..actually it's one of the very few meats that I like.
Gonna try this out..
shug

Karen said...

I love chicken paprikash, and I bet this sauce is just delish over pork chops... will have to try it.

Bernideen said...

Oh these do look like yummy comfort!

Gloria said...

Look delicious Pam and what lovely pictures!!

Big Dude said...

Those are some seriously smothered chops Pam and as a big fan of peppers, I'm sure I'd love them especially with the egg noodles along side.

bellini said...

Who knew that flamingos are fed paprika. I know that I would definitely enjoy the paprika in these pork chops.

Ann said...

mouth-watering yummyness!!!!
thank you for sharing this recipe!!!

Kitchen Riffs said...

I never knew zoos put paprika in their flamingo feed! Anyway, really informative post, and super recipe. I hope Hungarian food! Good stuff - thanks.

teresa said...

how cool, i had no idea about the flamingos. the porkchops look awesome!

Linda Burgett said...

Great post! I love all the history about paprika! And you know how much I love pork recipes! YUMMY! :)

Dining Alone said...

Paprika is my favorite seasoning! When we go to Europe I go straight to the market to get Paprika chips as we don't get them here in the US. Now I need to go to the museum :)

Food, Fun and Life in the Charente said...

Great post. I love the photos and the history. As for the recipe, yum yum Keep well Diane

laurie said...

Interesting post...and the chops look amazing!

Jenn said...

Those chops look decadent!!! And I love that you are featuring paprika like this! I adore it.. whether it's Hungarian sweet or smoked or hot... mmmmmm... I use it as often as possible!

Chris said...

I love this! I agree with you, paprika for flavor is better than just color. My favorite paprika ever was when we made our own two years ago in the dehydrator. So much flavor!