all sorts of recipes, from me to you

all sorts of recipes, from me to you…

Friday, December 28, 2012

Maple Syrup-Roasted Tomatoes for NYE



Appetizers ~ Canapes ~ Tapas ~ Dim sum ~ Hors d'oeuvres…

"...many of the great cuisines of the world -- Chinese, Japanese, Middle Eastern, Spanish, French and Italian, just for starters -- have long recognized that dawdling over small servings of many different dishes, sharing tidbits and discoveries, not only stretches out a pleasant social evening but bonds friends together in a very emotional way. In fact, the very word "companion" comes from the Latin com panis, or "with bread," meaning the person you share meals with -- friendship defined by dining...The most familiar versions are Middle Eastern mezze and their Spanish derivatives tapas; Chinese dim sum (meaning, sweetly, "touch the heart"); French canapes and hors d'oeuvres (themselves derived from the Russian zakuski); and Italian antipasti. In Vietnam, such drinking dishes are called "do nhau" -- literally, "little bites," and sounding not unlike "doughnut." The Thai, who might be the world's masters of outdoor gourmet dining, call them "kanto." Indians refer to samosas and other such little fried finger foods, cheerfully enough, as "chat."
---"Bite-Size Cusine," Eve Zibart, Washington Post, Sept. 4, 1998



These tiny tomatoes are marvelous straight out of the oven.  Roasting enhances their natural sugar and juices; adding the maple syrup intensifies their sweetness.  This recipe is adapted from Saveur. 





With a supply of toothpicks, this will be a tasty appetizer for you to serve on New Year’s Eve just as they are; or, topping baguette slices slathered with a little garlic butter and freshly grated Parmesan cheese, or simply spread with goat cheese.

Other than an appetizer, they are perfect on salads, pastas, pizza, or even on your scrambled eggs for breakfast.  This could be your go-to appetizer that takes little time, and ingredients.  A hit for your crowd!



Maple Syrup-Roasted Tomatoes
Adapted

Ingredients:

16 cherry or grape tomatoes, halved
2 tablespoons maple syrup
2 tablespoons olive oil
¼ teaspoon dried thyme
2 cloves garlic, minced
Salt and seasoned pepper, to taste

Method:

Heat oven to 400 degrees.
Arrange tomato halves cut side up on an aluminum foil-lined baking sheet.
Whisk together remaining ingredients and drizzle over tomatoes.
Bake for 20 minutes, then stir and add a couple of tablespoons of water if they appear too dry.
Return to oven and bake for another 20-30 minutes until tomatoes are browned on bottom and begin to collapse.

They're tasty little bites!


Be sure to visit my friend, Linda’s blog, @My Kind of Cooking for great tips and delicious easy recipes! 







Pin It

18 comments:

StephenC said...

I love the look of these tomatoes. I don't have (and don't want to buy right now) maple syrup. What do you think of a dab of molasses and/or brown sugar? (You know me, I might not see your reply unless you can be troubled to write to my email address: scrout1944@msn.com

Happy Overeating

Pam said...

Stephen, either one would work, just in case you see this...

Tracy Wood said...

Oh Pam! These look so great! I love roasting tomatoes, but I have never thought of adding a touch of maple syrup! YUMMY

Cathy at Wives with Knives said...

I love roasted tomatoes and the addition of a bit of maple syrup sounds perfect. A leisurely dinner with family is the best thing I can think of. Happy New Year, Pam.

Rita Huneault said...

I have made roasted tomatoes last summer; so good, but I love the idea of adding maple syrup. Myhusband says it makes everything taste even better.
Rita

Shug said...

You never seize to amaze me with all of your wonderful recipes.

Joanne said...

I love having lots of small bites and these tomatoes sound perfect for bruschetta!

kitchen flavours said...

These look gorgeous! I love roasted tomatoes and never had them with maple syrup before! A must-try!
Happy New Year, Pam!
Wish you and your family A Wonderful 2013!

SavoringTime in the Kitchen said...

These sound so delicious with the maple syrup! I love roasted tomatoes.

David said...

Pam, Great little adaptation for the ubiquitious cherry tomato! Maple syrup...who'd of thought that would work! Thanks for the recipe...and Have a Happy, Healthy and Prosperous New Year! Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

Karen said...

Oh yes, please... on a baguette!

Chris said...

These would also be great cooked on a wood plank on the grill and served strait off of it. Thanks for the idea!

Linda Burgett said...

WOW! What a great recipe! You can use it so many different ways. I will be making it soon. Thanks!

Dining Alone said...

What an awesome combo of sweet and savory, I can think of a lot of uses for those tomatoes!

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

Exquisite! Those must taste wonderful.

Best wishes for 2013!

Cheers,

Rosa

katiez said...

They're beautiful! I love small bits...
Happy New Year!

Tracy Wood said...

Pam, I am stopping by to tell you that I made these last week and they were EXCELLENT! I can't get enough tomatoes! I am going to share the recipe on my blog and link back here, if that's OK with you??

I would also like to invite you to pop over to my blog and participate in my first Link-Up. Share a favorite meatless meal....actually, these tomatoes would be perfect!!

Couisine Marocaine said...

Bonjour,je viens de parcourir votre blog,j'ai beaucoup aimé....Je suis tombée sur votre blog il y a quelques mois (en cherchant, justement, la "vraie" recette Et tous ces plats ,vous en avez des recettes !!!!!!! bonne journée la recette que j'ai ne me satisfait pas ,je suis très preneuse !! merci par avance
j'ais déjà traité un site comme ca
recette creme anglaise
recette patisserie
recette quiche lorraine
recette couscous
Couscous recipe
Recette Thermomix
Recette cookies
Recette crepe
gateau au yaourt
Recette moelleux au chocolat
Dessert rapide
Recette tiramisu
Recette paella
Recette punch
Recette pancakes
Recette crumble
Je viens de tester ta recette, elle est parfaite. Je vais bientôt la publier sur mon blog !! :) Merci pour cette super recette.