all sorts of recipes, from me to you

all sorts of recipes, from me to you…

Thursday, May 24, 2012

Spicy Jicama Chips

It’s a “Mexican potato” that is in season year-round, looks like a turnip; has either tan, brown or gray skin, with a  crisp juicy, refreshing, slightly white, flesh on the inside, resembling an apple.  It’s as easy as a potato to peel and I’ve discovered, it’s just as good roasted as it is raw.  It’s jicama ~ Spanish: hee-kah-mah.


Photo credit:  Cooking Light

Jicama is traditionally served raw, dunked in chili powder, lime and salt to boost its mild flavor; or in a salsa or salad.  I’ve only had jicama raw, in a salsa, so I had a big surprise when I bit into a slice of roasted jicama!


A friend, Yvonne, gave me this recipe and I’m glad she did.   Jicama is quick and easy to roast, and retains its crispy crunch and sweetness when it comes out of the oven.  Thinly slice it, dredge with a spicy mixture and roast it to a crunchy chip-like texture.  Roasted jicama is a great substitute for potato chips!  





Here are some jicama tips:


Choose jicama with smooth, thin unblemished skins, a slight shine is an indication of freshness.

Select small or medium tubers’ very large ones are often woody and bland and may have a fibrous layer under the skin that will have to be removed when peeling.

Refrigerate jicama in a paper bag (never in plastic) for up to 2 weeks.

Grate jicama to add to slaws, salsas, sandwiches and tacos.

Jicama is not loaded with nutrients, but is high in fiber, low in calories and sodium, and packed with Vitamin C and rich in potassium.

Diced jicama is excellent steamed or sautéed with other vegetables or added to soups, stews, and such.

Serve chunks of raw jicama with tropical fruits like mango, papaya and pineapple.

Jicama is considered as one of the four elements that are used for the “festival of dead”, which is celebrated by Mexicans on November 1st every year. During this festival, “jicama dolls” are constructed from paper.





Here’s the recipe:



Spicy Jicama Chips

Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
Peel 2 small jicamas and cut into paper-thin slices with a sharp knife.
Blot well with paper towel.





In a small bowl, mix together:
2 teaspoons olive oil
1 teaspoon chili powder
½ teaspoon garlic powder
½ teaspoon seasoned pepper
¼ teaspoon salt

Dredge jicama with chili powder mixture.
Spread evenly in baking pan sprayed with cooking spray.
Roast until edges are browned and crisp, about 20-25 minutes.
Serve with your favorite salsa.



ENJOY!!!


Be sure to visit my friend, Linda’s blog @My Kind ofCooking for great tips on Tuesday’s and good and easy recipes every Friday!



Pin It

23 comments:

  1. Excellent!! I am so glad you posted this recipe. We love jicama and always looking for a new way to eat it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. jose, garcias! Es yummy!

    Susan, thanks! I hope you really like this if you try it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never tasted Jicama. I will search for it in my area. Roasted sounds and looks so yummy, Pam!
    ~Judy

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've only had jicama in salad. I never thought of making chip out of it. I will have to try this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Judy, I hope you find it and give it a try. It's different and good.

    Kristin, then you should really like this! It's an easy way to have jimaca!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh yum! I would love to try this as I never had jicama before. Thank you for sharing, Pam!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pam, An intersting twist as to how to serve/use jicama! Great idea... Thanks for the recipe! Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, that sounds so good - I'll add it to my menu this next week and it will be something new and exciting for us to try! Thanks for sharing!
    ~Amy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sweet Pam I awarded you the One Lovely Blog Award! Hop on over to my blog for the badge :) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  10. A new one on me! NEver heard or seen them! You have peaked my curiousity to find them now! thanks Pam

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oooh, these sound wonderful, Pam! Have a great weekend~

    ReplyDelete
  12. I look forward to trying this ... I have always loved jicama.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love jicama--this sounds yummy.
    Hopefully I can find small ones, our store always has big ones.

    Melinda

    ReplyDelete
  14. This looks wonderful! Have not tried crisp jicama before, thanks for sharing! I just know that I would really love this!

    ReplyDelete
  15. CCS, I hope you do, it's good!

    Dave, thanks! Have a great holiday weekend!

    Amy, I felt the same way, something new and exciting to try! Thanks for the visit!

    Grubarazzi, you said it all! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I must try these. I love jicama. I love it in salads or making jicama slaw. I never thought to roast it. I'll bet they are addicting!

    ReplyDelete
  17. A great use for jicama! Looks amazing!I bet the flavor is incredible! I am a new follower! Have a fabulous weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Pam, I love jicama salad, I've never cooked it. This recipe sound like a good one to try. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  19. It is good to have friends that share their recipes! I have never made Jicama chips. I will be trying this recipe when I get back home.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Pam....
    this is why I love coming here...you teach me so much about foods!
    I have never heard of this before..sounds good..looks good!
    Can't wait to see the next NEW recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Ph Pam, I enjoy eating jicama but have yet tried anything like this before. I normally braised it with minced meat. Yours sounds even better. Truly mouthwatering. Thanks for sharing it.
    Hope you're having a great day, dear.
    Blessings
    Kristy

    ReplyDelete

I'm happy to hear what you have to say, and appreciate your taking the time to comment. Thanks for stopping by and sharing your thoughts!

Keep smiling,
Pam