all sorts of recipes, from me to you

all sorts of recipes, from me to you…

Monday, August 15, 2011

Stuffed Cuban Pork Tenderloin





We definitely have a fondness for Cuban food resulting from our first visit to Key West years ago.   While vacationing, we enjoyed our first Cuban sandwich at the Roof Top Café and were instantly hooked on the great flavors!

Our Canadian friends make us envious by telling us about their trips to Cuba ~ about the beauty of Cuba and the delicious spicy cuisine.  However, until Americans can easily travel there, Miami and Key West are about as close as we can venture to Cuba so all I can do is recreate those spicy flavors in a sandwich or roast for now.

This recipe for Stuffed Cuban Pork Tenderloin in Cooking Light magazine grabbed my attention and I knew I had to try it.  It’s tangy with just the right amount of spice.  I followed the recipe except for omitting 1/3 cup of cilantro and adding dried oregano.  I’m just not “hooked” on cilantro at all.  Anyway, this roast is tender and just melts in your mouth.  We really like how flavorful this pork is from the first bite to the last. 





Off the subject ~ I’d like to share with you the view out my back door this morning.  As I am writing this, the sliding door is open to a cool breeze and the only sounds to be heard are the birds chirping and the gas from the hot air balloon.  There’s nothing like early morning peace and quiet and a cup of strong black coffee!








Now, back to the pork:












Stuffed Cuban Pork Tenderloin
Adapted

Ingredients:

1 (1-pound) pork tenderloin, trimmed
2 tablespoons whole-grain Dijon mustard
3 thin slices Swiss cheese, halved
1/3 cup chopped bread-and-butter pickles
1 teaspoon dried oregano
¼ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Cooking spray

Method:

Preheat grill to medium-high heat.

Cut a lengthwise slit down the center of the tenderloin two-thirds of the way through the meat. Open halves, laying tenderloin flat.
Place tenderloin between 2 sheets of plastic wrap; pound to 1/2-inch thickness using a meat mallet or heavy skillet.
Spread mustard evenly over pork and sprinkle with cilantro.
Arrange cheese and pickles over pork in a single layer.
Roll up, starting with long side; secure pork at 1-inch intervals with twine.
Combine salt, pepper and oregano and sprinkle over pork.

Place the pork on a grill rack coated with cooking spray.
Grill 22 minutes or until a thermometer registers 155°, turning after 11 minutes.
Remove from grill.
Let stand covered for 5 minutes.
Cut into 12 slices.

Que rico!  Buen apetito!





Visit my friend Linda’s blog @My Kind of Cooking for great tips, recipes and cookbook giveaway. She’s judging “goodies” at the Iowa State Fair now!






Pin It

23 comments:

  1. Scared to death of that balloon but it must be a blast for those not afraid to fall lol... I love this stuffing its just amazing looking and perfect inside there, I usually make such a mess you did a great job with this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ooooh but that looks so delicious! I love the look of it! and yes nothing like a hot cup of coffee and a fantastic view!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic idea Pam. Cuban sandwich is a big favorite and I have a freezer full of pork tenderloins at one of which will get used like this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How cool - it's like a Cuban sandwich and a tenderloin all in one! I love the flavors of the Cuban sandwich too so this is definitely something I'll be trying asap. Thanks!

    @}----Rosie

    ReplyDelete
  5. YUM! It looks like a Cuban sandwich all in the pork tenderloin. We can get Cuban food most anywhere here on the SW coast of Florida too. We're lucky! :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stan is not a big cilantro fan either. I swap parsley for cilantro in many of my recipes that call for cilantro. I am still in Iowa (home of the Pork Chop on a Stick) and this recipe would be perfect for me and my fellow Iowans!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The mustard flavoring the pork tenderloin from the inside must taste wonderful! Yum! I agree - strong black coffee in the AM is the best. :)
    ~Judy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow interesting flavor combo! This looks fantastic =)

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is exactly how I love my pork too;) And if you could have a look through my kitchen window yesterday morning ,we had the first snow here since 1939:))

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this idea...a Cuban sandwich without the bread... delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Claudia, me too! I'd never do that! Balloons used to fly over frequently but not so much anymore; they're beautiful. Glad you like the pork!

    Jeannie, thanks! Have to have that coffee in the morning!

    Larry, you'll love it! I think the next time I'll try it with dill pickle slices instead of the bread and butter.

    Mr. Bill, thanks so much! I bet you'd love it!

    Rosie, I hope you give it a try! Thanks for stopping by!

    Lyndsey, I'm soooo jealous! You not only have great fresh seafood available, you have the delicious Cuban food too. I need to move down your way----especially for the winter!!! lol

    jose manuel, gracias! Es muy bien!

    Emily, thank you! Have a good day!

    Linda, yes, parsley is a great substitute. I'm sure you're having a blast in Iowa. What fun!

    JG, yes! The mustard is perfect for the pork. Yes, love that coffee!

    Healthy and Homemade, thank you! It's good!

    Dzolli, great! You have to make it. That's incredible with the first snow in your area of New Zealand in all those years. I'm sure it was exciting, esp. for the kids. It will be here before long and I'm in no hurry for it! Thanks for stopping by!

    Jenn, you got it! No bread needed with this! Thanks for the visit!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Pam, Great idea and a great combo of ingredients...simple but flavorful! We love pork tenderloin and this is a nice twist to our normal preparation... Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks, Dave! It was so tender and really delicious. I will be making it again before long!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This does sound good! We love pork tenderloin here and this sounds like a differently delicious way to prepare it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. SavoringTime in the Kitchen, thanks! It is different, hope you try it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Pam look absolutely delicious and special!! gloria

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow, this looks so mouth watering and flavorful! Love the mustard with the pork, too! Another one for the Pam file! :) Thanks for the wonderful recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  18. We LOVE cubano sandwiches and this tenderloin version rocks. I am totally making this!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. If grill it an option would you sear meat in skillet and then put in oven-? What would you suggest on temp and cook time?

    ReplyDelete

I'm happy to hear what you have to say, and appreciate your taking the time to comment. Thanks for stopping by and sharing your thoughts!

Keep smiling,
Pam