all sorts of recipes, from me to you

all sorts of recipes, from me to you…

Friday, March 18, 2011

White Bean Soup with Andouille Sausage and Spinach



I swoon over white bean soup and this recipe for it is fantastic! Bean soup was at the top of the list of my favorite meals when I was young and still is today.  When I was a kid, I loved to be at Grandma’s for Saturday supper since she served bean soup; generally with a ham bone, every Saturday evening year round ~ along with cornbread and iced sweet tea.

Sometimes, I like bean soup jazzed up and spicy.  So, this time I cooked it with andouille sausage.  Bill bought links of it at our great Italian meat market the other day and it has been driving me crazy; smelling the aromatic flavors every time I opened the refrigerator so I could hardly wait to cook it in this soup.  The rich spicy flavor of the sausage is Cajun all the way and a great addition to the beans.  And since I like spinach almost as much as Popeye does, I included a whole bag of it in the soup. 

It’s a tasty soup for supper any evening, plus the dried beans are a great source of protein and easy on your food budget also. Cooking it in a slow cooker makes it so easy with not having to stir it periodically.   And of course, bean soup demands fresh baked corn bread ~ a perfect meal in my way of thinking.  The bean soup is possibly even better the next day!


White Bean Soup with Andouille Sausage and Spinach

Ingredients:

1 pound dried great northern beans
½ pound andouille sausage links, halved lengthwise and sliced crosswise
1 large onion, chopped
2 carrots, sliced thin
½ teaspoon dried thyme
8 cups low-sodium chicken broth
9 ounces fresh spinach, roughly torn
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
Salt and pepper to taste

Method:

In 6 quart slow cooker, combine the beans, sausage, onion, carrots and thyme.
Add broth and stir to combine.
Cover and cook until the beans are tender, on low for 7-8 hours or on high for 4-5 hours.
Skim fat off top.
Before serving, add the spinach leaves and cover.
Cook until the spinach is tender, about 15-20 minutes.
Add the vinegar and salt and pepper.
Serves 6


If you are a white bean soup fanatic like me, you will love this soup.  It is absolutely perfectly delicious, I am not kidding!!!




Be sure to visit my friend, Linda’s blog @My Kind of Cooking for great tips, recipes and cookbook giveaway! 





Pin It

37 comments:

  1. This looks and sounds delicious! I'm bookmarking this one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, I swoon over white bean soup too! :D I like your spiced up version. Is andouille very spicy? I have to be careful when I use chorizo, my husband doen't like it too spicy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bean soup with So many veggies in ...loved the flavors of soup as well as the presentation..yumm

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a nourishing dish! I am definitely a fan of white bean; but I never eat them often enough. What a handy recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmm, this looks good. We're still in 'soup weather' here. I agree that a dish like this tastes even better the next day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I guess it is time to make bean soup! The andouille sausage is a great addition.

    Have a great weekend!
    Linda

    Giveaway
    Link

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great stuff. Just 1 quibble. I'm too lazy to cook dried beans and don't find it necessary in order to achieve a really good dish. Did I say 1 quibble? Gave away my slow cooker when we moved. Don't miss it at all.

    ReplyDelete
  8. TKW, hope you try it!

    Lyndsey, Andouille is probably not as spicy as chorizo but I think they have an entirely different taste. Andouille is smoked; can be eaten as is and is a little tangy. I hope this helps. Someone else could probably have a better answer.

    Sanyukta Gour(Bayes), thanks so much and have a good day!

    Brittany, thanks! It's good too!

    Karen, yes with the next day. It's a little thicker and very flavorful.

    Linda, thanks and you have a great weekend also!

    Diane, hope you try it and like it as much as we do!

    Stephen, thanks! Looks like 2 quibbles to me. LOL!!! I just got the slow cooker after not having one for years. I don't use it often but like it when I do. It makes this dish easy with not having to check on it often. Try this with jarred cannellini beans!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love white beans too and my husband loves Andouille sausage. This sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I do like white bean soup - they eat brown beans here in the south, but I grew up on white ones in WV. I have newly made sausage and some kale in the fridge that I think should work fine.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Pam, thanks that was helpful. It certainly is worth a try!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Pam, I loved this dish. Have a nice weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great soup...I love andouille sausage.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love soup the next day..it always seems to taste better to me too!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I, too, love white bean woup and can't wait to try this one.

    Fondly,
    Glenda

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love to find bean soup recipes that don't have ham in them. I hate ham. Blech. Thanks for posting this :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Looks fantastic, I love bean soups! Looks so good and flavorful! On my list, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  18. You can not beat a white bean soup with sausage! Love it! Also love the idea of the corn bread and sweet tea right along side it! Wonderful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Susan, thanks and glad you like it!

    Larry, I love brown beans and black too if I could just convince Bill of the same. Your sausage would be great with the beans and kale.

    Lyndsey, great. Hope you're having a great weekend!

    Marta, thanks and the same back at ya!

    Bo, good! It's great to see you back!

    laurie, great minds think alike!

    Glenda, it's perfect for these chilly days here.

    Tiffiny, lol!!! You and my older son definitely have something in common! He feels the same way about ham.

    Carol, thanks and glad you like it!

    Design Wine and Dine, I so agree with everything you said. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a wonderful dish - but then again you always make great stuff!
    Have a great weekend :-)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Pam! What a hearty and delicious looking bowl of soup! I love adding a little bit of meat to my bean soups. Just a little bit adds so much flavor. And like you, I love spinach. Bring on those greens! Thank you for sharing your creativity with me! I hope you have a blessed Sunday. You make me smile :-)

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'm a big fan of white bean soups as well as this one looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  23. This soup is loaded with flavors Pam! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Martha, thanks so much!

    Monet, thank you! I love spinach in soup and can enjoy it with or without meat, but the andouille gives it a kick. You have a blessed Sunday also.

    baking.serendipity, glad you like it also!

    Katerina, thanks! This is my favorite soup!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I have never heard of white bean before. Just wonder where to get it in my place here.

    ReplyDelete
  26. wow, this does look good. I don't cook with beans very often, and this looks really delicious, time to include more beans in my meals. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  27. This looks like a really hearty and healthy soup. I love beans and sausages together.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Printed recipe in hand...this will be made very soon at our house...YUMM-O!

    ReplyDelete
  29. We fell in love with andouille sausage when we were living down south. That and tasso ham. I can find the andouille here but not tasso. Your white bean soup sounds delicious!!

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  30. Oh my goodness you my friend got my attention with this dish. Wow just your description alone of the aroma of the sausage in the frig had me right there. lol
    Darn this looks so good and it does not sound hard to make at all. I have to try it.
    Your so kind to leave such a nice comment about my writing. Honestly honey I can not begin to thank you enough
    Love ya
    Maggie

    ReplyDelete
  31. wow great soup and love the way you kicked it up a bit

    ReplyDelete
  32. Right out of college I moved to Nashville and learned the treat of white beans and corn bread. Still like the combination and think this looks terrific.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Now that looks absolutely great and delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  34. I do love Andouille sausage! This soup sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  35. oh yum. that looks and sounds amazing...and it is so windy today, so I need this!

    ReplyDelete

I'm happy to hear what you have to say, and appreciate your taking the time to comment. Thanks for stopping by and sharing your thoughts!

Keep smiling,
Pam