It was love at first bite when I started cooking with my air fryer about a year ago, and it continues to amaze me how easy it is to operate and how delicious and crisp the food is.
I’ve made a variety of foods in it from a whole chicken to vegetables to frozen french fries. Food cooks faster in it, browns better and crisps up on the outside perfectly.
This time I air fried catfish. Panko, the light and crispy Japanese bread crumbs, is one of the secrets to creating crispy catfish in the air fryer. I have also used cornmeal instead of Panko and the results are just as delicious and crispy. Substitute your favorite herbs and spices for the seafood seasoning to vary the fish.
The air fryer saved a plethora of calories and grams of fat by not frying the fish. And one of the best things - there was no fishy odor wafting through the house!
It’s great to know that we can enjoy our favorite fried fish in a healthy manner...
It was a big hit with Bill and I, and the air fryer is definitely a keeper!
Light and Crispy Fried Catfish a la Air Fryer
- 1 cup Panko bread crumbs
- 1 teaspoon Old Bay Blackened seasoning
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 teaspoon each salt and seasoned pepper
- 2 (6 ounce) skinless catfish fillets, patted dry
- Preheat air fryer to 390°.
- In a shallow dish, combine Panko and seasonings.
- In another shallow dish, whisk together egg, salt and pepper.
- Working with 1 fillet at a time, dip in egg, shaking off excess, then dredge in Panko mixture, pressing gently to adhere.
- As they are dredged, place fillets in a single layer in air fryer basket.
- Air fry for 10-14 minute or until coating is golden brown and fish flakes easily with a fork.
- Serve immediately.