Old-Fashioned Biscuits Just Like Grandma Used to Make


The mere suggestion of homemade biscuits, conjures pictures of sweet grandmas and fragrant aromas wafting from the oven.  People love everything about biscuits, a hot oven, a light touch, and lard…





Why should you bake biscuits with lard?  Because you’ll have the most delicious rich biscuits ~ soft on the inside, crusty on the outside ~ that you can imagine!  Lard is commonly used in many cuisines around the world as a cooking fat, or as a spread similar to butter in Europe and North America. 

Unfortunately, lard has gotten a bad rap for years --- it’s not as bad as you may think.  The Jungle, Upton Sinclair’s 1906 book, might’ve had a lot to do with it when, in a scene from the book, the workers at a meat-packing plant fall into boiling vats of rendering lard.  It played such a large part in turning people against lard, that an entire pro-lard ad campaign was launched to undo its damage.

Full-page ads ran in all the newspapers picturing healthy, smiling, happy people praising lard...  




 


Actually, while lard is anything but “healthy,” it contains less cholesterol and saturated fat than butter, and no trans fat, unlike most vegetable shorting.  

As Julia Child said, “Everything in moderation…including moderation,”  it truly does make the best pie crusts and biscuits.




On Grandma's farm in Ohio, she fried with lard and baked all of her pies, breads and biscuits with lard.  On our farm down the road, Mom was a Crisco and margarine sort of lady. I cook with a little butter or olive oil, rarely cook or bake with lard, except for when I make these biscuits…

Lard has very little pork flavor, it’s not bacon grease.  It makes crispy fried foods and tender flaky baked goods without leaving a trace of flavor behind.  

In my book, lard is a good source of cooking fat, but I draw the line at eating it smeared on a slice of bread, so I'll keep on making these little bites of goodness…

These biscuits are easy to make, and with a few simple steps the results are tender and delicious.

I’m not saying my biscuits are perfect, no way are they, but slathered with butter, they make me smack my lips and help myself to another one…

Yield: 8 to 10 biscuits

Old-Fashioned Biscuits Like Grandma's

These biscuits are definitely made the old-fashioned way - with lard.
prep time: 30 MINScook time: 12 MINStotal time: 42 mins

INGREDIENTS:

  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 tablespoon baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/3 cup lard
  • 2/3 cups buttermilk

INSTRUCTIONS

  1. Preheat oven 450° with the oven rack in the center.
  2. In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt.
  3. Cut in lard until it resembles small peas.
  4. Add buttermilk, stirring gently with a fork, to make a soft dough.
  5. With floured hands, knead dough gently 4 times in the bowl.
  6. Put dough on lightly floured surface, and roll or pat the dough to about 1/4" to 1/2" thick.
  7. Cut with a floured 2" cutter.
  8. Place cut-out biscuits about 1" apart on ungreased baking sheet.
  9. Lightly brush with butter if desired.
  10. Bake for about 12 minutes, until biscuits are golden brown.
  11. Serve warm



 Enjoy!  




22 comments:

  1. what lovely biscuits Pam, looks absolutely yummm! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Gloria! Glad you like them! Hugs!!

      Delete
  2. Well my first attempt at commenting didn't work__sorry! I am a firm believer in using lard for biscuits, though I have never tried it in pie crusts. I keep it in a zip lock bag in the freezer and it last forever, which is nice since I only make biscuits a couple of times a year. My grandmother would be so disappointed to hear that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anne! Glad you commented! Lard is great in pie crust, very flaky. I am going to try it your way and freeze the lard. I seldom make biscuits also, and my grandmother would be disappointed to hear that too. Thanks for your method of doing it and I hope you give the pie crust a try! Thanks, take care

      Delete
  3. The biscuits must be particularly flaky and delicious with lard. I don't eat margarine, but no problem with lard as long as in a small portion. These biscuits look very flaky and delicious, Pam.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are, Angie! I don't eat margarine either, I like the real thing-butter! Thanks for the visit!

      Delete
  4. yes girl! Don't judge me, but I recently tried honey on my biscuits for the very first time and OH MY GOSH.. delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, way to go with the honey, Leslie! Glad you like it! Yum!

      Delete
  5. Nobody can ever beat Grandma's cooking LOL These look really yummy. Have a great week Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You said it, Diane! Grandmas can cook! Take care

      Delete
  6. they look delicious and I love good homemade biscuits.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Larry! I do too, don't think I've met a biscuit I didn't like. ☺

      Delete
  7. Beautiful homemade biscuits, Pam. I always use vegetable shortening in my pie crusts but I've never tried real lard. I'll have to look for it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Susan! Lard is great for pie crust, flaky and tender. Thanks for the visit!

      Delete
  8. I love adding lard to my pie crusts, so why not biscuits. We have a local butcher that renders their own lard. I buy it around Thanksgiving, so I'll make some biscuits then, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you like it, Liz! Lucky you with the butcher! That would be great for the holidays. Thanks!

      Delete
  9. There is nothing better than grandma's biscuits! Awesome :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Tricia! You're right! Have a wonderful day!

      Delete
  10. Pam, We just returned from a couple of weeks in Scotland and Ireland so I'm playing catch up. Lard...my favorite thing cooked with lard are fried fish shore lunches prepared by fishing guides on little islands up in northern Ontario. We both love a good biscuit though so this recipe is right for us. The south is biscuit country, one of it's many pluses! Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dave! I bet you had a fabulous trip! We've been to a lot of European countries, but unfortunately, never made it to Scotland and Ireland. It has to be beautiful in both countries! That fish sounds good too! Take care

      Delete


How am I supposed to relax in a world where “truffle” can mean either chocolate or fungus?
- Dan Piraro
________________________

Hi!
I am happy to hear what you have to say, and appreciate your taking the time to stop by and leave a comment.
Keep smiling!
Pam

POPULAR POSTS ON THIS BLOG


“Mámá was fond of saying that nothing tastes as good as skinny feels—an aphorism I was pretty sure she'd cribbed from the thinspiration sites she subscribed to online—but I believed that anyone who said such things had never tasted chili-cheese fries with melted cheddar, fresh ground beef, and Tapatio sauce.”

~ Nenia Campbell


DINNER PARTY

DINNER PARTY
Jules-Alexandre Grun

ᴡᴏᴏ ʜᴏᴏ!!!

ᴡᴏᴏ ʜᴏᴏ!!!

United States 7.3.16

Flag Counter

Global Visitors 7.3.16

Flag Counter

ᴍɪɴɴɪᴇ❣ 13 ʏᴇᴀʀs

ᴍɪɴɴɪᴇ❣ 13 ʏᴇᴀʀs
May 5, 2004…

ᴍᴏᴏᴄʜᴇʀ ❤ ʀɪᴘ ❤

ᴍᴏᴏᴄʜᴇʀ ❤ ʀɪᴘ ❤
May 5, 2004 – Dec 16, 2014

THIS BLOG LAUNCHED OCTOBER 29, 2009

StatCounter

Total Pageviews