all sorts of recipes, from me to you…


Monday, March 20, 2017

Healthy Cod Fish Bites


From the days of the Vikings, the Early Middle Ages, cod was essential in enabling them to sail across the ocean.  


Photography,Viking Museum, Oslo, Norway


They dried freshly-fished cod in the cold North Sea winds, until it became hard as a stick, and could be easily preserved and carried on their Atlantic voyages.  

On the boats, they broke “stockfish” into pieces and chewed on it.  It was definitely not a culinary delicacy, but it did serve as a great source of proteinRemarkably, cod contains 18% protein, which rises to almost 80% when dried.  

Cod has always been a good quality and fairly inexpensive fish that is available throughout the year, but like other species, it may be overfished.  It’s a mild buttery tasting fish that is adaptable to virtually all methods of cooking ~ but I draw the line at drying it!



 Drying cod at Å, Moskenesoy, the southernmost tip of the main Lofoten Archipelago in Norway, 
known for its dramatic scenery, with peaks like the Svolværgeita pinnacle jutting up into the sky, 
with the Himmeltindan Mountain nearby. 



Forget about the frozen fish sticks in the grocer's freezer section, and opt for these nuggets, they’re so much better, and your whole family, kids and adults both will enjoy them!

Make a crisp savory coating of Panko bread crumbs, salt and pepper, and paprika, mixing garlic in for a little kick. 




I especially like them made the healthy easy way in my Power Air Fryer, but the oven works well also, for cutting calories without sacrificing flavor.





This is a speedy easy weeknight dinner that you can feel good about eating.






Crispy crunchy goodness with a dollop of tartar sauce!


Cod Fish Bites

Ingredients:

1 pound cod
2 large eggs
3 tablespoons milk
1 cup panko bread crumbs
1 cup flour
½ teaspoon black pepper
¼ teaspoon sea salt
½ teaspoon paprika
½ teaspoon garlic powder

Method:

Slice fish into 2” pieces.
Mix the eggs and milk together in a shallow bowl.
Place panko, flour and remaining ingredients in a large plastic food storage bag and combine well.
Dip fish into egg mixture.
Place fish in bag with panko and flour and shake gently to cover fish.
Place fish in fry basket and into Power Air Fryer.
Cook for 12 minutes at 350° setting, flipping once.
Or, place fish on baking sheet coated with cooking spray and bake at 400° for 10-15 minutes, until fish flakes easily and panko is golden brown.
Serve with tartar sauce
Printable recipe


Enjoy!


30 comments:

  1. Besides salmon, cod has to be my another favourite. These cod bites look very crunchy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Angie and have a great day!

      Delete
  2. Pam, We had some terrific cod filets, lightly breaded, the other night. I had one leftover that I had for breakfast this morning on top of an English muffin and topped with 2 easy-over eggs! Yum! Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yum! That sounds good, Dave! Now I know what to do with cod leftovers. Take care

      Delete
  3. Seasoned perfectly and way better than frozen fish sticks. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right, Karen! Much better! Take care

      Delete
  4. Protein is the name of the game - and fish protein is the best.
    Cod fish with the right spices and bread crumbs - makes for a most delicious dish.
    Great pictures of drying cod and your method of preparing the cod
    bites!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Duta! It's probably the best protein, cod is delicious! Not crazy about the dried version though. Thanks for the visit!

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. I know you like them! Thanks, son!

      Delete
  6. absolutely delicious cod recipe ! I love this Pam !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Gloria! They were good!

      Delete
  7. Your photos are wonderful!

    Did you read the book "Cod" by Mark Kurlansky? What a wonderful history. So sad that the supposedly endless supplies of this fish have been overfished almost to extinction.

    best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mae! I just purchased it for my Kindle, sounds very interesting! When I was reading about cod for this post, I became engrossed with the Europeans coming to America, their connection with the fish, and I see that is covered in the book. Sad that the Atlantic cod is close to extinction, but sounds like cod from Iceland area is not. Seems overfishing is a huge problem! Thanks for the book mention! Take care

      Delete
  8. That sounds just perfect to me but cod is getting expensive here. They say there is a shortage and it is over fished! Have a good week Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Diane! Too bad that it's expensive there by you. It's a great mild fish. Take care

      Delete
  9. Wow, the coating looks scrumptious!!! I think I might be able to get Bill to eat this!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yum. I love fish - all fish! This sounds incredible

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Leslie! Fish is a good thing!

      Delete
  11. Great looking fish and meal Pam

    ReplyDelete
  12. Funny I was just watching Bourdain in Portugal surrounded by salt cod. I have to cook with that one day. In the mean time I will enjoy these cod bites instead.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Growing up in Brasil salted cod was very common and yes, I do miss it...I am loving your cod bites as I can use my air fryer. Thanks for the recipe Pam!
    I hope you have a great week :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I LOVE this post! I made homemade fish sticks a few years ago and loved them. But nobody else loved them as much as I did - so oh well. I love cod too and your write up about dried fish. We have actually eat dried fish in Iceland. Oh yuck. Not my thing for sure. Fish jerky - ewwww. Haha!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think this is a beautiful way to have fish especially when picky little ones are giving you faces about fish!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Cod is such a great fish! I almost never used the dried, salted cod, but it's really good. This looks better, though! Really good stuff -- thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  17. These are delicious! I don't make fish at home enough and I really should because we enjoy it a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  18. this gal's not a fish lover, but i'd definitely try your cod, especially when made using the air fryer--those things are so neat! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. We really enjoy cod as a break between salmon and trout. Especially with some delicious homemade tartar sauce :) Your bites look delicious!

    ReplyDelete

_____________________________________

"It's the onions. They're only supposed to sweat, but they fell down exhausted."

~~~ Mrs. Patmore, Downton Abbey (about a failed broth)

_______________________________________

Hi!
I am happy to hear what you have to say, and appreciate your taking the time to stop by and leave a comment.
Keep Smiling,
Pam