Perfect Potato Salad for the 4th of July!





Summer holidays and potato salad, always boiled down to the name “Aunt Frances," not only my Aunt Frances, but Bill’s Aunt Frances also.  




They were the “go to ladies” for potato salad back then, but unfortunately I never got either of their recipes and so am always on the hunt for the perfect potato salad recipe, and this one I’ve got for you today is close.

This recipe, slightly adapted here, was in the Chicago Tribune by Leah Eskin, in her “Home on the Range” food column.  

By the way, she has a great cookbook, Slices of Life, that’s not only filled with recipes, but a generous helping of her life stories that happened on her way cooking and baking when she was young, and later for her own family. 

Back to this recipe, it strays a little from traditional potato salad and makes the most of summer, with its surprising good taste.  

I would’ve never thought of including peas in potato salad ~ it’s a perfect match, accented by mayonnaise combined with sour cream, dill, lemon zest and Dijon mustard, with lots of chopped red onion thrown in and garnished on top with sliced olives for Bill, the potato salad conniseur!




It’s not a sweet dish, just savory and delicious, that’s good warm, but is just as delicious when chilled. 

This is my new go-to potluck dish 
for summer here in the 
Midwest ~
we do love a good potluck!


Potato Salad w/Peas
Printable recipe

Ingredients:

3 pounds red-skin potatoes
1 cup frozen peas
1 cup chopped red onion
½ cup mayonnaise
½ cup sour cream
½ teaspoon dried dill or ¼ cup snipped dill fronds
2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
½ teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
Sliced green olives, for garnish, optional

Method:

Boil:  Settle potatoes in a large pot.  Cover with cold, salted water by 1 inch.  Bring to a rolling boil, turn down to a low boil and cook until potatoes are easily pierced with a skewer, about 25 minutes.

Cut:  When potatoes are cool enough to handle (but still warm), cut into 1-inch cubes. Pile into a large bowl.  Sprinkle in peas (no need to defrost) and red onion.

Mix:  Whisk together mayo, sour cream, dill, mustard, zest, and salt and pepper to taste.  Pour this dressing over potatoes.  Mix gently with a soft spatula.  Arrange sliced olives over top, if desired. 

Serve:  I like this still warm, but it's good at any temperature; keep cold for picnics. 

 
8 Servings



Enjoy!





















Celebrate
and have a safe
Happy 4th!






24 comments:

  1. I am constantly striving for the perfect potato salad! My mother put peas and hard-boiled eggs in her's. Happy 4th of July!!

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bonnie! I thought about the hard-boiled eggs too late, it would've been great with them. Happy 4th!

      Delete
  2. My favorite potatoe salad has almost all the ingredients mentioned in your recipe. It's indeed delicious. We like it cold.
    Enjoy 4th of July celebration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Duta! We like it cold also most of the time. Take care and have a great weekend!

      Delete
  3. Sounds delicious Pam !
    Hope you have a nice 4th july !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Gloria! We love the 4th! You take care and have a great weekend in your neck of the woods!

      Delete
  4. This sounds like a great potato salad! Never have thought to add peas in mine! Happy Fourth of July!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nellie! Me too until now. Happy 4th to you!

      Delete
  5. Pam, I hope that you and yours have a terrific 4th of July weekend! My wife and all of our friends would love this potato salad but as for myself, I never could understand the attraction of cold potatoes in any format. Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, David! I definitely get you with the cold potato salad. Here's wishing you and yours a great July 4th weekend! Take care

      Delete
  6. I think potato salad is in our Midwest blood, Pam :) Love the addition of peas in this version!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like a good recipe. I think I like ALL potato salads -- with mayo or vinaigrette or mustard, with onion or no onion, with hard boiled eggs or not, with peas or celery or pickles or parsley or anything. Today I tried Marcella Hazan's recipe for a potato salad with capers, olives, and anchovies: not to every taste, but I thought it was great.

    best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mae! I usually add pickles, but capers sounds great, not so sure about anchovies though. There are so many variations but I really liked the addition of peas in this, more savory. Take care

      Delete
  8. I make my potato salad much like this recipe.. but I have never added olives , what was I missing!!!! Olives are my favorite!!!!!! have a great 4th!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Leslie! Good to see you! Ha! Kind of funny with the olives; Bill thinks they're a must on potato salad. Happy 4th!

      Delete
  9. Sounds like a terrific potluck addition - I bet it's one of the first ones eaten! Happy 4th of July to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Beth! It's a great summertime dish. Happy 4th your way!

      Delete
  10. Always good to have new additions to the file.
    Never had potato salad with peas though--interesting.

    I have a recipe up if you want to add another to your file.

    Happy 4th!!

    M : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Melinda! I'd never had it with peas either, but will from now on, it's good! Happy 4th!

      Delete
  11. a good looking potato salad recipe. Happy 4th to you and your family.....It's raining here, but we are not going to complain...much needed rain. Enjoy this day and blessings to you all...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Shug! Stay dry. :-) It's cool here but going to warm up tomorrow. Happy 4th to you!

      Delete
  12. This recipe sounds fabulous! I hope you have a great 4th!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Pam,
    Was a busy few days, now I can enjoy your post. Well I must say that your Potato Salad w/Peas recipe looks and sounds scrumptious! I have had olives in a potato salad before but never peas..so this is a first. I printed this one out and will be using this soon. Love the combo of ingredients and it is not a hard one to prepare. Thanks for sharing this one, ps I also had an Aunt Frances. I hope that your July 4th was awesome and God Bless the USA! Have a great rest of the week dear friend...
    Hugs Dottie :)

    ReplyDelete

***************************************************************************
How am I supposed to relax in a world where “truffle” can mean either chocolate or fungus?
- Dan Piraro
***************************************************************************
Hi!
I am happy to hear what you have to say, and appreciate your taking the time to stop by and leave a comment.
Keep smiling!
Pam
***************************************************************************

POPULAR POSTS ON THIS BLOG


“Mámá was fond of saying that nothing tastes as good as skinny feels—an aphorism I was pretty sure she'd cribbed from the thinspiration sites she subscribed to online—but I believed that anyone who said such things had never tasted chili-cheese fries with melted cheddar, fresh ground beef, and Tapatio sauce.”

~ Nenia Campbell


DINNER PARTY

DINNER PARTY
Jules-Alexandre Grun

ᴡᴏᴏ ʜᴏᴏ!!!

ᴡᴏᴏ ʜᴏᴏ!!!

United States 7.3.16

Flag Counter

Global Visitors 7.3.16

Flag Counter

ᴍɪɴɴɪᴇ❣ 13 ʏᴇᴀʀs

ᴍɪɴɴɪᴇ❣ 13 ʏᴇᴀʀs
May 5, 2004…

ᴍᴏᴏᴄʜᴇʀ ❤ ʀɪᴘ ❤

ᴍᴏᴏᴄʜᴇʀ ❤ ʀɪᴘ ❤
May 5, 2004 – Dec 16, 2014

THIS BLOG LAUNCHED OCTOBER 29, 2009

StatCounter

Total Pageviews