Italian Sausage w/Onion and Jalapeño Chowchow


In the nick of time, I discovered this recipe yesterday, before our evening meal…



The weather has been a little unusual here lately, in the low 70’s, so it’s still grilling season until the deck is empty in another week or two, making way for snow.

Bill grilled delicious spicy Italian sausages last night and I made the recipe that I saw here on Nee's blog and here on the Food and Wine site, to accompany it.
  
I may be a little lazy ~ I adapted the recipe slightly by sautéing Vidalia onions and jalapeños in a large skillet, instead of using skewers, and charring them on the grill; then, cooked the sauce in the same skillet.  


It’s a year-round relish to side with sausages cooked indoors, especially since heartier food in this neck of the woods gets a bit humdrum toward the end of winter.  

This chowchow is a chunky tangy tart-sweet relish:  I can think of a lot of other uses for it ~ hot dogs, sloppy joes, burgers, omelets, a topping for whitefish or salmon, or shrimp, it could be mixed with tuna salad, chicken salad, or pasta, or stirred into rice for a little kick, you get it…
 
Onion and Jalapeño Chowchow
Adapted 
Printable recipe  

Ingredients: 

2 tablespoons olive oil
2 Vidalia onions, large chop
2 jalapeños, seeded and chopped
½ cup cider vinegar
¼ cup plus 2 tablespoons brown sugar
¼ cup grainy mustard
¼ cup Dijon mustard
¼ teaspoon caraway seeds
¼ teaspoon turmeric
1 teaspoon cornstarch dissolved in 2 teaspoons water
Salt and pepper, to taste
3 pounds Italian sausages

Method:

Heat oil in a large skillet.
Sauté onions and jalapeños until crisp-tender, about 6 minutes.
Transfer to a plate and set aside.
In the skillet, combine vinegar, sugar, both mustards, caraway seeds and turmeric.
Bring to a simmer, add onions and jalapeños, and cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, until the liquid is reduced, about 10 minutes. 
Stir cornstarch and water together, add to skillet, and stir mixture until slightly thickened.
Season with salt and pepper.
Serve with sausages.

Note:  The chowchow can be refrigerated  for up to 1 week.  



ENJOY!



Comments

  1. The chowchow sounds like a great go-with for the sausage.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Pam , I like your twist on the chow-chow and sausage , I love the heat , Everything looks so deliciously good . Thanks for the shout-out . :) Nee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nee! You're welcome! Thank you for the recipe!

      Delete
  3. Pam, My wife would love that chow chow! I could eat 3 or 4 of those spicy Italian sausages. They are a staple at our house year around,,,grilled indoors or outside! Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you like this, Dave! We love those sausages too and it's great with chowchow! Take care!

      Delete
  4. Looks yummy! Really makes me want dinner early :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Medeja! That's my job, to make you hungry! :-)

      Delete
  5. Hi Pam,
    Looks so delicious, Nee's recipe is good as well...I think that this is a terrific meal, so tasty and the jalapeno gives it that kick...Thanks Enjoy your day!
    Dottie :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dottie! Yes, they're both good recipes! Jalapeños rule! Have a great weekend!

      Delete
  6. It is unusually warm here today too. Cool you are still grilling and love the Chowchow, great flavors and heat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I like the heat! Thanks for the visit!

      Delete
  7. How yummy! My mom used to make chow-chow and can jars and jars of it. My father's favorite - looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tricia! Sounds like a lot of people like it---this is the first time I've made it. Take care

      Delete
  8. It's always bbq weather down here! Love your chowchow recipe, Pam. I am totally drooling over those sausages!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lucky you, Barbara! Glad you like the chowchow and sausages. They were soooo good!

      Delete
  9. Hi Pam, never heard of chowchow before, sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cheri! Oh, it's a really great relish for meat, etc. Take care

      Delete
  10. Mr. Ken will be so excited with Chow Chow recipe, he loves it!

    M : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great, Melinda! Hope Mr. Ken likes it when you make it! :-)

      Delete
  11. Dear Pam, Looks delicious!!! I love everything!! xoxo Catherine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Catherine! Hope all is well your way. Hugs!

      Delete
  12. Chow Chow sounds like a great way to enhance your sausages! I like the sound of the name, too. I was curious and learned that there were recipes for a relish with this name as far back as the 18th century!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mae! That's interesting! No wonder relishes are so good, they've been around almost forever! Thanks for the info and have a great weekend!

      Delete
  13. I seriously would lick whole bowl of onion chowchow clean!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, Angie! I wanted to do that myself! :-) Have a fun weekend!

      Delete
  14. I LOVE onions and jalapeno. OMG. So goooood.

    Happy Weekend and boogie boogie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ivy! Your avatar cracks me up and is perfect for the season. I'm actually a little scared of bats, so hope he stays right where he is! :-)

      Delete
  15. Chow chow sounds delicious! I have had it before, I think, on a visit down south, but never made it my self. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, laurie! It's so easy to make and so many varieties of it, hope you try it! Have a great weekend!

      Delete
  16. The weather is getting cooler here, too, but I'm hoping I can talk my husband into barbecuing again this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am finally getting some peppers and tomatoes from the garden. Your "chow chow" title grabbed me immediately. I like your modifications here. Easy is always better, don't you agree?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Debra! Yes, easy works for me! Lucky, lucky you, with the veggies from your garden! Enjoy!

      Delete
  18. my fiance had never heard of or tried chowchow before he met me, but he loves it now, and rightly so! great version!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Mmmmmm I like the sound of that. Hope you are both well, take care Diane

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

________________________

Sandwiches are wonderful. You don’t need a spoon or a plate.
- Paul Lynde
_______________

Hi!
I am happy to hear what you have to say, and appreciate your taking the time to stop by and leave a comment.
Keep Smiling,
Pam
_________________________

Printfriendly


When you feel like eating boiled eggs,

if you have some truffles in the house,

put them in a basket

with the eggs

and the next day you will have the

best boiled eggs you have ever tasted in your gastronomic life.

--- M.Des Ombiaux



Popular posts from this blog

Tender and Delicious Italian-Style Baked Chicken Breasts

Succulent Slow-cooker Pork Loin in Gravy

Bubba’s Winning Homemade Summer Sausage

The Best Lemon Pound Cake ~ I’m Telling You the Truth!

Dinner Party

Dinner Party
Jules-Alexandre Grun

Since 2009