Baked Pork Chops w/Apples and Cabbage



This dish is delicious with the sweetness of apples harmonizing with the cabbage and pork; absorbing all the good flavors.




It can be a one-pot meal if that’s what you like, or after browning the chops, assemble all in a baking dish.

I prepared the pork and accompaniments in an ovenproof paella pan; cast iron would be fine too.  To avoid drying out, it may be necessary to add more stock during baking.  However, do not add too much; or, excluding the pork, all will turn to mush.




It’s a good dinner for this time of year, and I will be adding a little caraway seed the next time!

Oh, mashed potatoes on the side would be a wonderful thing!


Baked Pork Chops w/Apples and Cabbage

Ingredients: 

1 tablespoon butter
3-4 boneless loin pork chops
1/3 cup unsalted chicken stock
3 tablespoons cooking sherry
1 tablespoon packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon seasoned pepper
1 medium onion, sliced
1 small head cabbage, large chop
2 large Honeycrisp apples, cored and sliced

Method:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Heat a large oven-proof skillet over medium-high heat, add butter, swirling until it melts.
Add pork chops to pan and cook for 3 minutes per side, until browned.
Remove from pan and set aside.
In skillet, stir together next 5 ingredients, through pepper.
Add onion, cabbage and apples, combining well.
Return chops to skillet, cover and transfer to oven.
Roast for about 1 hour, until apples and cabbage are tender and pork has reached desired doneness.
Add more liquid, if needed, as it bakes.


ENJOY!








Comments

  1. I love these porks chops with apples Pam, many times I dont eat pork chops, the men would love this plate!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Gloria! The apples are great!

      Delete
  2. Dear Pam, I do love pork. I like it cooked in every variety!! The pork with apples brings back good memories. My mom always made pork with apples and if she did not use the fresh apples it was applesauce on the side. Looks good! Stay well and happy and warm. xoxo Catherine p.s. I keep looking for the spring!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Catherine, thanks! I like pork also, prepared about any method. Glad this brought back good memories for you. Stay warm! Here's to Spring!

      Delete
  3. I NEED sweet w/ pork chops:)
    Bet this is good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great minds think alike (KINDA)....your recipe looks much better than mine. I didn't add apples to my pork chops and I cooked Kale instead of cabbage. Hope your weather is getting better...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks warm and delicious and reminds me a bit of German fare.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pam, Good eats, that's for sure! I love pork chops...all pork for that matter. This dish is even halfway healthy if I leave out those mashed potatoes on the side! I'm ready for dinner now... Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Pam,
    This dish looks very comforting. I love pork with cabbage and apples. Such a great combination and each ingredient compliments the other. As Catherine said, we always had pork with apples/applesauce. I love your choice of the Honeycrisp apples. They are so yummy! Thanks for sharing this recipe, your photo is very mouthwatering...Have a great week...
    Dottie :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh my gosh! My grandma use to make something like this ~ forgot all about it :) thanks for the reminder Pam!!! Love cabbage...you are right, this would be a fantastic meal during this cold weather spell we are having...mmmmmmmm! ingredients are going on the grocery list for tomorrow!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks good. I sautéed apples and pears today, but a little cabbage would be a great addition. Thanks for the nudge. It's been on my mind for the last few weeks, but have forgotten to buy it. Keep cozy!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Perfect, Pam! Now I know what to add to my grocery list! We haven't had pork chops in a long time!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds really great! Pork and apples is yummy adding cabbage makes it even nicer :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. I always bake my chops with cinnamon and apples.. and I have never thought to add my other favorite ~ cabbage!!! Yum. Thanks for the recipe Pam. Happy Tuesday!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Pork and apples are a classic pairing! Sounds like a tasty meal!

    ReplyDelete
  14. My husband was just asking to have pork chops soon! They sounds delicious cooked this way!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Looking at your photo, I could practically taste this dish! A great combination to serve any time.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yum! Pork chops are great with apples- this looks delicious! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love the idea of adding sweetness of the apple to pork dishes...yours look so delicious...thanks for sharing the recipe Pam...
    Hope you are having a fabulous week :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Caraway seed would be perfect with this! And what a terrific dish! Really good recipe -- thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is a great winter meal! I've been getting lots of cabbage from my CSA, and cooking it with apples sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

________________________

Sandwiches are wonderful. You don’t need a spoon or a plate.
- Paul Lynde
_______________

Hi!
I am happy to hear what you have to say, and appreciate your taking the time to stop by and leave a comment.
Keep Smiling,
Pam
_________________________

Printfriendly


When you feel like eating boiled eggs,

if you have some truffles in the house,

put them in a basket

with the eggs

and the next day you will have the

best boiled eggs you have ever tasted in your gastronomic life.

--- M.Des Ombiaux



Popular posts from this blog

Tender and Delicious Italian-Style Baked Chicken Breasts

Succulent Slow-cooker Pork Loin in Gravy

Bubba’s Winning Homemade Summer Sausage

The Best Lemon Pound Cake ~ I’m Telling You the Truth!

Dinner Party

Dinner Party
Jules-Alexandre Grun

Since 2009