Spritz for Christmas

 They’re a buttery crisp dainty little cookie ~ they’re Spritz cookies!


The sweet little cookie was new to me when I met Bill.  His mother always made a “ton” of them this time of year.  And, it would not be Christmas here, if I didn’t bake them.

Years ago, I used the old Mirro aluminum cookie press:




Then, graduated to this one:


 
And now, I use this one great tool with a push button: 


The electric cookie press works like a charm, once you get the hang of it.  It’s an automatic one-touch operation that takes practice, practice, practice to get the feel of how to control the amount of dough released.  Then, it’s easy to create great cookies and cleaning is easy also.  Plus, it does much more, with discs for making cheese straws, filling deviled eggs, pasta shells and pastry.  It’s a winner!

Here’s the cookie recipe I use, from Betty Crocker’s Cookbook, circa 1978:

Spritz Cookies

Ingredients:

1 cup butter, softened
½ cup sugar
2¼ cups flour
½ teaspoon salt
1 egg
1 teaspoon almond extract or vanilla

Method:
Heat oven to 400 degrees.
Mix butter and sugar.
Mix in remaining ingredients.
Place dough in cookie press; form desired shapes on ungreased cookie sheet.
Bake until set but not brown, 6-9 minutes.
Immediately remove from cookie sheet to rack to cool.
Decorate as desired or not.
Makes about 5 dozen

Note for decorating:   
Dab cookie with small amount of light corn syrup, with a toothpick or small brush, before sprinkling with colored sugar; the sugar will then adhere to the cookie.

ENJOY!


Disclaimer:  Cuisinart, or no third party, is involved with this post; the content is solely my opinion.



Comments

  1. I love spritz cookies, my mom use to make them, not every Christmas but often enough that I remember them as "the" Christmas cookie. thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww these look beautiful Pam!
    I remember my mom made cookies with this:))

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had the Mirro too! Broke my trigger one like your middle one.the first time I used it..!.It is so true how you need practice!
    A tree can end up like a lump:)
    I didn't make any last year and yet they say Christmas to me..Nice to hear The Cuisinart one is good..w/ practice:)
    Yours are very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful to see this post, Pam. Tim's gram gave me her old gun and these little
    buggers are on my to-bake list. Though I'll most likely be making a vegan version.

    Still, excited to give it a go.

    Happy Christmas. Love that you're back to posting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such wonderful Christmas cookies. I remember using the first tool with my mother.
    Great cookies for the holiday table. xo Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is THE Christmas cookie that I grew up with. You're so right, it's just not Christmas without it! I still use the old Mirro hand crank one. Maybe I need to upgrade. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Years ago, I tried spritz cookies, with not much success. Perhaps I need one of these new machines.:-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh what great memories you bring back Pam...I remember these wonderful cookies and I'm so happy I now have the recipe to make them!! They are so beautiful!! Thank you for sharing!!! Hugs, Mary

    ReplyDelete
  9. My niece has fallen in love with these cookies and found an "antique" one and hasn't stopped making cookies since.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  10. I used to have one of those things with a trigger, wonder where it went to with all our moving?? These sound very yummy. Take care and have a good Christmas and New Year. Diane

    ReplyDelete
  11. They look like perfect Christmas cookies.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I LOVE Spritz cookies! Your are just Beautiful, Pam! I, for some odd reason, can NOT get them to come out right! I will definitely give your recipe a try though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Donna! How are you? It's great to see you here! Hope you like this easy recipe. Merry Christmas!

      Delete
  13. Oh yum! Spritz Cookies! I haven't made these in such a long time. Your cookies look so good, Pam!
    ~Judy

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Pam....I am so excited to have this recipe...I sure need to make some for my youngins. I think they are adorable and better yet...they are so tasty!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I remember these! I think we had something like your second
    picture. Great trick for keeping sugar on cookies!

    M : )

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lovely cookies! and very interesting gadget! Have not seen it before, did not even know there's an electric one!
    Would love to grab a few of your cookies from the plate1

    ReplyDelete
  17. We haven't made the next step of cookie press evolution yet but I love all of the Cuisnart stuff we have. I'll have to check this out before we bake next week.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I still use the second one :) It takes some practice getting used to the timing but it still works great! I probably use the same recipe too. Spritz really say it's Christmas to me.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I still use the first one!! Your cookies are beautiful! Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I have never had good luck making spritz cookies....I can not get the hang of using a cookie press...but I may try this one because I love spritz cookies...I count on other people to give them to me...LOL...I like anything Cuisinart makes....Merry Christmas!! now on to your candy recipe...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

________________________

Sandwiches are wonderful. You don’t need a spoon or a plate.
- Paul Lynde
_______________

Hi!
I am happy to hear what you have to say, and appreciate your taking the time to stop by and leave a comment.
Keep Smiling,
Pam
_________________________

Printfriendly



I want to enjoy my life, and food is a big part of it.

~ Gwyneth Paltrow





Popular posts from this blog

Tender and Delicious Italian-Style Baked Chicken Breasts

Succulent Slow-cooker Pork Loin in Gravy

Bubba’s Winning Homemade Summer Sausage

The Best Lemon Pound Cake ~ I’m Telling You the Truth!

Dinner Party

Dinner Party
Jules-Alexandre Grun

Since 2009