all sorts of recipes, from me to you…


Monday, December 1, 2014

Salmon-dill Loaf



I’m a great fan of salmon, cooked, or not, any which way.  Bill, not so much, which makes me come up with different methods of cooking it.




OK, so it’s not a pretty thing coming out of the can and doesn’t look much better cooked.  It’s because of that slimy gray skin and freaky-looking bones…

Before Bill eyes those bones and aims for the garbage, I devour them.  For that reason, growing up, I made a point of being in the kitchen when Mom was opening a can. 

The bones soften up when cooked and are a good source of calcium.  And you won’t notice the skin after it’s cooked.  If it bothers you, your cat or dog will love it.




This makes for a simple, easy, inexpensive meal.  It’s a salmon loaf that’s healthy, and makes a good sandwich leftover also!


Salmon-dill Loaf

Ingredients:

15-ounces can salmon, drained with skin removed
6 ounces can water chestnuts, drained and diced
1 egg, beaten
½ cup celery, diced
½ cup Vidalia onion, diced
¼ cup ketchup
½ teaspoon dried dill
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
½ teaspoon seasoned pepper
2-3 dashes hot sauce, optional
4 Lemon wedges

Method:

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Spray a baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray.
Combine all ingredients, except lemon wedges, in a large bowl.
Transfer mixture to baking sheet, and form a loaf.
Bake until top is lightly browned, about 35-45 minutes.
Serve with lemon wedges.

ENJOY!






21 comments:

  1. We are salmon fans here. Thanks for sharing this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a confession! First, my mother did a salmon loaf that was very similar to yours. I loved it. Then some year's back, I became a culinary snob! It's true! I took her recipe and made it using fresh salmon that I poached in a carefully prepared court bouillon. Guess what?
    Her recipe with the canned salmon was better. Now there's almost always a can or two of salmon in the pantry. I have abandoned my snobbish ways in the kitchen.

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too funny, Bonnie! I'm sure I've been guilty of that a time or two. Guess that proves that sometimes the plain old-fashioned way is best! Have a good week!

      Delete
  3. Pam, We like salmon patties but we've never tried to make a salmon loaf. Thanks for the idea! I know that my better half will experiment with this one... 65 degrees here in east Tennessee today. I mowed for probably the last time until late March. Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Are you rubbing that in, Dave? It's all of 19 degrees here this afternoon, and that is as high as it will go this day. Enjoy your warm weather!

      Delete
  4. I've never had this but sounds very good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We all need more salmon and this sounds great. Dill is great with salmon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It sounds very good, and I love salmon, so thank you so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Salmon is one of my favs. It does look very odd in the can....but it sure is some tasty stuff. I like this recipe..sounds delish!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love salmon, therefore this loaf sounds and looks delicious Pam...thanks for the inspiration!
    Enjoy your week :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. We love salmon Pam!
    And this plate look amazing!
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am right there with you, Pam. I grew up with canned salmon since the fresh for rarely available. Would love to sit at your table for this dish.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am always looking for quick and delicious salmon recipes. I used to love Salmon patties as a kid:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm a big salmon fan and it sure is nice to have a can on hand for easy recipes such as this one.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  13. My mother always used canned salmon also so I got used to snatching a few of the bones too. Sometimes I'll poach my own fresh salmon for recipes like this. It sounds really good!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Dear Pam, I would certainly enjoy this. I hope all is well. xo Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  15. I haven't tried salmon loaf! But it looks so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  16. We make a salmon dip with canned salmon. Works perfectly,and has such great flavor. And I'll bet this loaf is wonderful, too. Love the recipe! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This looks good! Would be great as a sandwich filling for white breads!
    I love canned tuna and salmon! :)

    ReplyDelete

_____________________________________

"It's the onions. They're only supposed to sweat, but they fell down exhausted."

~~~ Mrs. Patmore, Downton Abbey (about a failed broth)

_______________________________________

Hi!
I am happy to hear what you have to say, and appreciate your taking the time to stop by and leave a comment.
Keep Smiling,
Pam