all sorts of recipes, from me to you…


Friday, December 19, 2014

Caramel-Coconut Cookies



Many of you ~ like my family ~ go bananas for anything chocolate.  Not me ~ I go bananas for caramel and coconut!




These rich cookies are crunchy on the outside and creamy, maybe a little chewy toward the center, a perfect combination to me.  The recipe belongs to Better Homes and Gardens, and I liked it so much, I doubled it:  all the more to share.  They’re easy cookies to make and good for the season.


Ummm, caramel!

N’uff said:  If you like the two, you’ll be addicted to these!  Just make them, and you’ll see…

Caramel-Coconut Cookies

Ingredients:

½ cup shortening
½ cup butter, softened
½ granulated sugar
½ packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
¼ teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon baking soda
1 egg
2 tablespoon milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
1¾ cups four
36 vanilla caramels, unwrapped*
¼ cup milk
¼ cup shredded coconut, toasted

Method:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
In a large mixing bowl, beat shortening and butter with electric mixer on medium speed for 30 seconds.
Add both sugars, baking powder, salt and baking soda.
Beat until combined, scraping sides of bowl occasionally.
Beat in egg, the 2 tablespoons of milk, and vanilla until combined.
Beat in as much of the flour as you can with the mixer. And stir in any remaining flour.
Drop dough by level measuring tablespoons 2-inches apart onto prepared cookie sheet.
Bake for 9 minutes, until edges are slightly browned.
Transfer to a wire rack.
Meanwhile, in a bowl, microwave caramels and the ¼ cup milk on high until melted and smooth, stirring every 30 seconds.
Spoon caramel mixture onto cookies.
Sprinkle with toasted coconut.
Transfer to a rack and cool.
Makes 40 cookies

*I use Werther’s Baking Caramels, they’re wrapped in wax paper and easy to use for baking!


ENJOY!







14 comments:

  1. Morning Pam......another great cookie recipe! My niece was looking for a recipe for a cookie exchange... I think this one will be perfect for her to use and I'm guessing they will be the hit of the party!! Thanks so much for sharing. I think of you often when I watch the weather reports...... Stay warm and dry...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Morning, Shug! Hope she likes this one if she tries it. Same here with the weather, yours is definitely much better this time of year, although it's all of 30 degrees this morning, with snow flurries forecast for later. Take care

      Delete
  2. I love chocolate, but alas it is not a friend to me. These look great and I also love caramel. thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, these are good Melynda! Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  3. Lovely caramel cookies!! Look amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Crunchy on the outside and chewy on the inside described a perfect cookie to me. Merry Christmas to you and your family Pam.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love those, looks great. And like you, I go nuts for coconut. In fact, I just pulled coconut and oat flour chocolate drops from the oven. They're cooling.

    And caramel. What's not to love?

    Happy Happy Baking!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My latest recipe is from Better Homes and Gardens too :) I also dearly love caramel. These little gems look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  7. These look so good- I love caramel too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm with you on that combination Pam! I'd swim in caramel if it were possible! We're heading for the Midwest for Christmas this year, so wherever you're at, I'll think of you as I fly over the region! May you have a Merry and delicious Christmas!
    xo
    Roz

    ReplyDelete
  9. Pam, Another great cookie recipe! My wife loves coconut and she'll kill for caramel... Thanks, Take Care and Merry Christmas! Big Daddy Dave

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful cookies!

    Happy Holidays dear.

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  11. i'll take caramel or coconut over chocolate any day, and the two together? get outta town! there's no contest. what a great batch of cookies!

    ReplyDelete

_____________________________________

"It's the onions. They're only supposed to sweat, but they fell down exhausted."

~~~ Mrs. Patmore, Downton Abbey (about a failed broth)

_______________________________________

Hi!
I am happy to hear what you have to say, and appreciate your taking the time to stop by and leave a comment.
Keep Smiling,
Pam