The Ultimate Stuffing for Thanksgiving



I’m back at blogging!  Thanks for all your concerns; everything is fine here, and I hope it is by you.  I just wanted a break, giving me extra time to pursue other interests.  

Now, on to this great dish for your Thanksgiving dinner table.


I’ve tried a variety of stuffing recipes over the years, but this one from a chef friend is our favorite and I’m sticking with it.  It’s a recipe here on my blog that begged to be reposted. 

Italian sausage, Honeycrisp apples, dried cherries, orange liqueur provide savory sweet flavors for the stuffing.  Even try a mixture of dried fruit.  This recipe makes a lot of stuffing ~ lucky you, should there be leftovers.

Here’s hoping you give it a try and enjoy it as much as we do!

Ultimate Stuffing

Ingredients:

cups dried cherries, dried cranberries or golden raisins*
1½ cups orange liqueur, divided (I use Triple Sec)
½ cup butter
2 cups celery (and leaves) chopped
1 large Vidalia onion, chopped
1 pound Italian sausage, casing removed
1 (16-ounce) package stuffing mix (I use Pepperidge Farm)
1 cup pecans, chopped
4 Honeycrisp apples, peeled, cored and chopped
½ cup butter, melted
2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
4 teaspoons chopped fresh sage, or 1 teaspoon dried
Salt and pepper, to taste

Method:

Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
Place cherries (dried fruit) in a small saucepan and cover with 1 cup orange liqueur.
Bring to a boil, remove heat and set aside.
In a large skillet, melt butter over medium heat.
Sauté celery and onion for about 10 minutes.
Transfer to a large mixing bowl.
Using the same skillet, cook sausage until crumbled and brown, drain well.
Place sausage and stuffing mix in bowl with celery and onions.
Stir in cherries and liqueur mixture, pecans and apples.
Mix in melted butter, broth and remaining ½ cup orange liqueur.
Stuffing should be completely moistened.
Season with sage, salt and pepper.
Butter and fill a 15” x 10” baking dish with stuffing.
Cover with buttered foil and bake till heated through, about 1 hour.
Uncover and bake until top is crisp, about 15 minutes.
Serves 8-10

* Use any mixture of dried fruit you like:  cherries, cranberries, raisins, dates, etc.

This is truly ultimate stuffing!


ENJOY!





Comments

  1. Look absolutely delicious Pam!
    Im happy you come back again:))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pam, Wow! This stuffing recipe has it all! We tend to be less adventurous...sage, celery and spicy Italian sausage. My wife would love yours more than our 'usual'. Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds unique and delicious Pam.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pam,
    This is the kind of stuffing that I like, but my hubby wants the traditional one, mushrooms, sage celery. No exceptions. I might make a small batch for me. Thanks for sharing is marvelous recipe.
    Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Howdy Pam, welcome back! I really want to make this stuffing, but Jim insists we stuff the bird. Do you think the recipe would be as successful baked inside?

    ReplyDelete
  6. With Honeycrisp apples, sausage, pecans and Triple Sec, it must be delicious. No need to save this just for Thanksgiving. It would be great with chicken too.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks, everyone!

    Corgidogmama, Yes, I stuff the bird with it too. It works both ways, stuffed or in the pan.

    ReplyDelete
  8. With a little gravy, this could be a meal in itself. Stuffing/dressing is my favorite part of the Thanksgiving meal.

    Our temperature has now climbed to 21 degrees!

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Welcome back to blog land! And what a great recipe to share,it looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Welcome back Pam!!!

    Now that's what I call stuffing! Actually, more like a meal, lol...

    Thanks so much for sharing, Pam...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Girl.....I am soooo glad you are back!! I have missed you!! This recipe sounds so tasty....of course, here in the South...we have Dressing...where you all have stuffing!! I might just surprise my crew and serve stuffing one Thanksgiving!! They would probably love it!! Glad you are back in time to share with us...all of your delicious Holiday recipes...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your stuffing sounds fantastic! I wish I could get away with adding dried fruit...the hubby would balk. But I know I'd love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Welcome back, Pam.
    The stuffing looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Such a nice stuffing with those cherries in there. We don't have vidalia onions in Australia (damn) but I can make do. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love all the fruit in your stuffing. I use apples and that's it! The dried cherries are a grand touch. I don't cook Thanksgiving this year but will find some excuse to make this (Polar Vortex blues?).

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is a delicious stuffing and your site has very good recipes too!
    Thanks for popping by and nice meeting you :-)
    Alida

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your stuffing or what I would call dressing sounds terrific.

    ReplyDelete
  18. We all need a break once in a while! Glad to see you back and your stuffing sounds wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hello Pam, this Ultimate Stuffing looks yummy-licious ... with mixture dried fruits, apples, pecans, sausage, sage ... thanks for sharing ^-^!

    ReplyDelete
  20. This stuffing looks delicious. I love the different fruits mixed with Italian Sausage. Mmm good.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Welcome back! Your stuffing recipe sounds devine.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hello Pam, first of all, I want to thank you so much for visiting my blog! It is a great pleasure to meet you! This recipe is a wonderful mix of sweet and savory, and it brings back a lot of nostalgic memories of my Thanksgivings spent in the USA as a child...I wish you my best and I will be coming back soon...Cheers, Mary

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi Pam, nice to meet you. Love your header picture. Good to see you back in blogland.

    Interesting stuffing recipe, sound very delicious. Thanks for sharing your wonderful recipe.

    Have a nice day, regards.
    Amelia

    ReplyDelete
  24. That's an amazing stuffing recipe! Love the triple sec in it. :)
    The more goodies in a stuffing, the better I like it!
    Thanks for stopping by my blog...glad you are back.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Damn deliicous stuffing!!!
    i'm afraid i can't stop diggin....

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hi Pam,
    Glad to see that you're back!
    The stuffing sounds good!
    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Glad to see you back! And you've brought us a fantastic stuffing recipe for our Thanksgiving feasts. I love any type of sausage in stuffing. This looks excellent -- thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  28. triple sec in stuffing, what! this sounds truly sophisticated and delicious, pam! unique too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. Yep, am loving this. I am a sucker for savory dishes with dried cherries!

    ReplyDelete
  30. sounds wonderful and have a great thanksgiving

    ReplyDelete
  31. Love the addition of cherries in this stuffing! So creative than the regular same-old, same-old recipes! I'm glad that you're back blogging, Pam! I, too, have been absent from work demands. It's nice to re-connect again!
    Happy Thanksgiving!
    Roz

    ReplyDelete
  32. Hi Pam, what a great recipe, love all the flavors, especially the dried cherries!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Yesssssss!!! Welcome back!!!
    This stuffing sounds crazy delicious! I was thinking about a little something different this year.. and this stuffing just may be it! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  34. I could eat the whole pan of this. I would do it with cornbread -- I'm a dry stuffing fan -- and be content for days.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Yay! You're back! I missed you Pam, and glad to see you are back so I could wish you and your family a very happy and blessed Thanksgiving holiday.
    Your stuffing sounds wonderful. xo, Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  36. I can see why this would be your favorite stuffing recipe…loaded with lots of goodness, oh my!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

_________________________

"We plan, we toil, we suffer – in the hope of what? A camel-load of idol’s eyes? The title deeds of Radio City? The empire of Asia? A trip to the moon? No, no, no, no. Simply to wake just in time to smell coffee and bacon and eggs."
~ J.B. Priestly
_________________________

Hi!
I am happy to hear what you have to say, and appreciate your taking the time to stop by and leave a comment.
Keep Smiling,
Pam
_________________________

Popular Posts