all sorts of recipes, from me to you…


Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Molasses Coffee Marinated Pork Chops



Molasses ~ coffee???  That's an offbeat combination that got my attention!
 
Molasses coffee marinade

We both love strong coffee and like the full-bodied taste of molasses, so I knew I had to give Alton Brown’s recipe a try.  This is the first recipe of his that I’ve made, and I well be checking out more of them now, after knowing how tasty this one is.


Marinating          
Ready for the grill


The brewed coffee in the recipe accentuates the smoky, sweet, sort of bitter flavors in molasses, mingling with apple cider vinegar, ginger and Dijon mustard.  The marinade transformed the pork into hearty tender juicy chops after Bill grilled them!


Grilled and ready to eat!



It’s my new favorite marinade that’s easy to make, and could be used on any cut of pork, maybe even chicken…

As strange as it sounds, it’s very amazingly delicious and I’m looking forward to making it many times!




Molasses Coffee Marinated Pork Chops

Ingredients:

1 cup cool strong coffee
6 ounces molasses
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon kosher salt
½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
½ teaspoon ground ginger
6 sprigs thyme
4 (6 to 8-ounce) bone-in, 1-inch thick pork chops

Method:

Place all of the ingredients in to a 1-galon zip top bag, and shake to combine.
Place in the refrigerator to marinate for at least 2 hours or up to overnight.
Preheat grill to medium-high.
Remove the chops from the marinade.
Transfer the marinade to a small saucepan and place over high heat.
Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium-high and boil gently, stirring often, until reduced to ½ cup liquid, 12-15 minutes.
Meanwhile, grill chops to your liking before serving with the glaze.


ENJOY!








12 comments:

  1. Another pork dish I must try. I find it amazing what flavor coffee brings to certain dishes.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! those chops look wonderful and I would never think of coffee and molasses together except for dessert. But I must try this marinade. thanks so much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pam, Very interesting marinade! The chops sound great... We liked Alton Brown's restaurants when we lived in Chicago, so its a natural for us to try out one of his recipes. Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've always been intrigued with the notion of cooking with coffee, Pam. Add some molasses and I am really in awe!

    I will definitely be adding this to my cooking with coffee pinterest board, Pam! I'm sure it taste amazing!!!

    Thank you so much for sharing...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Coffee marinade sounds amazing! So interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think I'd love this recipe too! Sounds unique and delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Really? I would have never put those two ingredients together yet those chops look delicious! I'm putting this in my marinade file--maybe for the last grilling of the year?

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would never have thought to mix this combination! I know one thing....those pork chops looked good just sitting there in the marinade...I'm guessing they were delicious!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That combo sounds great...we have been eating alot of pork lately, always can use a new recipe!

    ReplyDelete

_____________________________________

"It's the onions. They're only supposed to sweat, but they fell down exhausted."

~~~ Mrs. Patmore, Downton Abbey (about a failed broth)

_______________________________________

Hi!
I am happy to hear what you have to say, and appreciate your taking the time to stop by and leave a comment.
Keep Smiling,
Pam