Smashed Baby Purple Red and White Potatoes



Due to their hue of royalty and lineage, purple potatoes have long been looked upon as the food of gods.  Over 7,000 years ago, purple potatoes were reserved for Incan kings in their native Peru.  



Maybe back then, they saw beyond their violet skin and flesh and suspected the health benefits of the purple potato.  They’ve been a staple in the Peruvian diet ever since. 



Whatever the hue of potatoes, they are a wonderful thing, and this recipe proves how delicious potatoes can be. First of all, the purple red and white baby potatoes are boiled in simmering water until you can easily smash them with your fist.  Then drizzle them with olive oil, balsamic vinegar and seasonings on a baking sheet, pop them into the oven to bake crisp.




The edges where you smashed them will be crisp and brown, while the insides will be soft and creamy.  This is definitely comfort food ~ it’s all about the delicious flavors and the chunky texture; perfect for dinner on a stormy day like yesterday!





Smashed Baby Purple Red and White Potatoes



Ingredients:



Cooking spray

1½ pounds baby purple red and white potatoes

¼ cup olive oil

1 teaspoon butter

2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar

4 cloves garlic, minced

½ teaspoon dried thyme

1 tablespoon dried parsley

½ teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon seasoned pepper



Method:



Preheat oven to 450 degrees.

Cover potatoes with water in a saucepan and bring to a boil.

Reduce heat to simmer and cook until potatoes are tender, about 20 minutes.

Drain well and set aside.

Meanwhile, preheat over to 450 degrees.

Whisk together remaining ingredients in a small bowl.

Coat a baking sheet with non-stick cooking spray.

Place the potatoes in a single layer on the baking sheet and smash each potato lightly with your fist.

Spoon the olive oil mixture over each potato.

Bake until potato edges are crisp and brown, about 25-30 minutes.

4 servings





ENJOY!







Comments

  1. Pam, I love these potatoes! When we lived in Chicago we'd buy a small bag of those little mixed types of potatoes including the purple ones, then Laurie would season them and roast them. Smash, butter and eat them all up! I haven't seen those mixed varieties down here in East Tennessee...but now I'll start looking harder! Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

    ReplyDelete
  2. Potatoes are a favorite around here....However....I've never seen the purple potatoes before! I guess I need to be more observant when shopping groceries. I always go to the same old foods! I really must explore my food options..
    hugs,
    shug

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Pam!
    Unbeknowest to me, I didn't realize purple potatoes have been around so long. For some reason I thought they were a product of scientific play. Live and learn I suppose:)

    I have seen those mixed bags of potatoes before but have shied away from the purple ones because of what I thought. Now, I have the go ahead to buy me a bag and and use my fists! Doesn't get much better than that!

    Thank you so much for sharing this info and recipe, Pam I can't wait to get smashing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. They look delicious pam! I don't think that I have ever bought or eaten a purple potato. Guess I will have to be on the look out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The potatoes sound delicious Pam and I like the balsamic use. I thought purple potatoes were a recent man-made invention - thanks for the history info.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had no idea purple potatoes had been around so long either. All kinds of potatoes are welcome at our house and I love the idea of smashing them for crispness.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love purple potatoes. And just last night I did a smashed potato dish. Not purple or blue though. We do nilot get those very often where I live niw, but common from where I lived before. Good stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Pam:

    I'm catching up on my delicious blogs this morning. We have those purple potatoes as often as I can find them (we consider ourselves royalty). I've oven roasted them but never your way. Next time, I'll use your recipe because they look delicious!

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well, you said the word POTATO and I was there!
    We are growing red and yukon gold this year. Haven't seen the purple ones yet.

    This sounds delicious.

    M :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dear Pam, I never had purple potatoes. I love potatoes and these look so delicious. I will look for them and try this.
    I hope all is well and have a good weekend.
    Blessings dear. Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love these purple potatoes and these look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey, Pam. This method is one of my favorite ways to cook potatoes. I've just gotten a bee in my bonnet to do this and then turn them into a potato salad.

    ReplyDelete
  13. OMG, those look delicious! I can't wait to go in search of some! I love baking my potatoes with olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Sometimes I toss onion in too! Yum!

    Have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

________________________

How am I supposed to relax in a world where “truffle” can mean either chocolate or fungus?
- from a cartoon by Dan Piraro
_______________

Hi!
I am happy to hear what you have to say, and appreciate your taking the time to stop by and leave a comment.
Keep Smiling,
Pam
_________________________