Scalloped Potatoes, Mom’s Way ~ ~ ~ Mine Too



Thankfully, I had no problem finding Velveeta recently:  remember the “Cheesepocalypse” Kraft confirmed in January ~ before the Super Bowl parties?




I just had to have some scalloped potatoes!   I love love them, just the way Mom made them with Velveeta, and Bubba agrees 100%.  They’re probably “au gratin,” but they’re scalloped to us.

The leftovers even leave me drooling, so I always make extra, ensuring that Bubba gets his fare share of leftovers also, because we know leftover scalloped potatoes are the best!

A thick creamy cheese sauce of just milk, butter, Velveeta, and seasonings, smothering a plethora of thinly-sliced potatoes…


Creamy sauce...

It doesn’t get much richer than this as it bakes into a mouth-watering irresistible dish!  Not too mention the aroma while baking!

Julia would most likely turn her nose up at this, but we’d eat her share!


Oven-ready



Mom’s Scalloped Potatoes

Ingredients:

¼ cup butter
¼ cup flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon pepper
2½ cups milk
2 cups Velveeta cheese, cubed
8 cups thinly sliced Russet potatoes, about 8 medium potatoes
Cooking spray

Method:

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
Melt butter in large saucepan over medium-low heat.
Stir in flour, salt and pepper and whisk well.
Slowly pour in milk, blending well as it’s poured.
Add cheese and stir until melted.
Take off heat and set aside.
Peel and slice potatoes thinly.
Coat a 2-quart baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
Add potatoes to baking dish.
Pour cheese mixture over potatoes.
Gently stir a little so that sauce coats potatoes.
Bake at 375 degrees for about 1 hour to 1 hour 15 minutes, until the top is browned. 
Remove from oven.
Let stand for 10-15 minutes before serving.
8-10 servings

ENJOY!

My fave...




26 comments:

  1. One of the top ten dishes in the world and the absolute best use of potatoes ever!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My boyfriend is Velveeta OBSESSED! I think he'd die of happyness if I made him this for dinner :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmmmm, those look good, Pam. You seem to be a fabulous cook!

    Thanks so much for stopping by my blog and commenting, too! Come anytime. Would love to have you. Susan

    ReplyDelete
  4. p.s. Love your header and became your latest Follower. Hope you'll Follow my blog, too. Susan

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks delicious Pam - I always hone in on recipes with the word "mom's" in them

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMY Pam Im mouth watering
    still I dont lunch so IM hungry!!!
    Look delicious!!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nothing like a comfort food recipe from mom. I made scalloped potatoes for Easter...for the first time in years!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Pam, This is pure basic comfort food! I could easily eat a couple big helpings of these scalloped potatoes. Of course, I'd add Tabasco... Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is real comfort food Pam. I didn't realize Velvetta was in short supply.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love potatoes and I love Velveeta, so I'll definitely be making this. Thanks, Pam, for sharing the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  11. No chance of Velveeta cheese here but I bet they taste good with any cheese, yum yum. Keep well Diane

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have never used Velveeta for scalloped potatoes..I bet it's nice and creamy..yum!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I guess I will never loose my Yankee roots for scalloped potatoes. I love them and there is nothing better than made with Velveeta. And I add a big scoop of Miracle Whip too!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love family recipes! My mom just used milk, flour and seasonings in her scalloped potatoes and lots of onions. Now I'm craving scalloped potatoes :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love them too - and yours look fabulous!
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Pam, new to your wonderful blog. Love this recipe, with all it's comforting goodness. Potatoes are my big weakness, the more cheese the better.

    ReplyDelete
  17. We love cheesy potatoes at my house. These sound reall good- Mom's recipes are always best :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. We had cheesy potatoes for supper tonight. With bits of ham, onion and corn. So flippin' yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Au gratin or scalloped...really doesn't matter...I just love cheesy potatoes! It looks so comforting and delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love cheesy potatoes. I'm seriously craving a big bowl of these now!

    ReplyDelete
  21. We love potatoes and with cheese, even better! This looks yum!

    ReplyDelete
  22. This sounds like my Mom's scalloped potatoes! You are right - it is the very best. Thanks for reminding me Pam.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Cheesy creamy Potatoes, Yum! :)
    ~Judy

    ReplyDelete
  24. These potatoes look delicious:) love the Velveeta cheese. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Not sure that I can find Velveeta cheese in NZ (substitute?) but they look good!

    Ciao
    Alessandra

    ReplyDelete

***************************************************************************
Eat, Drink and Be Thankful!
***************************************************************************
Hi!
I am happy to hear what you have to say, and appreciate your taking the time to stop by and leave a comment.
Keep smiling!
Pam
***************************************************************************




“He shoveled the bacon out on a plate and broke the eggs in the hot grease, and they jumped and fluttered their edges to brown lace and make clucking sounds.”

~ John Steinbeck, East of Eden



DINNER PARTY

DINNER PARTY
Jules-Alexandre Grun

ᴡᴏᴏ ʜᴏᴏ!!!

ᴡᴏᴏ ʜᴏᴏ!!!

United States 7.3.16

Flag Counter

Global Visitors 7.3.16

Flag Counter

ᴍɪɴɴɪᴇ❣ 13 ʏᴇᴀʀs

ᴍɪɴɴɪᴇ❣ 13 ʏᴇᴀʀs
May 5, 2004…

ᴍᴏᴏᴄʜᴇʀ ❤ ʀɪᴘ ❤

ᴍᴏᴏᴄʜᴇʀ ❤ ʀɪᴘ ❤
May 5, 2004 – Dec 16, 2014

THIS BLOG LAUNCHED OCTOBER 29, 2009

StatCounter

Total Pageviews