all sorts of recipes, from me to you

all sorts of recipes, from me to you…

Monday, January 6, 2014

Lazy Man’s Ribs and Brrrrrrr!!!!!!



I’m telling you, it’s so cold in Chicago-land this morning, that our neighbors’ snowman is begging to come inside to get warm…




Our thermometer here in Cary, registered -15 degrees this morning.  That’s 15 degrees BELOW 0, with a wind chill of -40 degrees! 

Not to mention the 30” of snow we’ve had so far this winter, with about a foot of it on the ground now. 

Ice is cracking on the roof ~ the sound is akin to a gun being fired from above ~ a loud, very quick bang.  An eerie, eerie, creepy scary sound, for those of you not familiar with it --- particularly when it happens during the middle of the night.  

But the sun is shining… These ribs were definitely the comfort food that was needed here.  My younger son, Matt, gave me The Taste of Home Cookbook, for Christmas.  It’s packed with great recipes:  Lazy Man Ribs, by Allan Stackhouse, Jr., being one of them.  




 

It has to be about as close to perfect for a rib recipe that I have come across.  He says some friends have suggested he bottle the sauce and sell it to the public.  I get that, as the sauce is so distinctive ~ a savory, tangy sauce!

It looks like a lot of ingredients below, but do not omit or substitute ingredients, especially the molasses and liquid smoke.  I will gladly make this sauce for pulled pork, chicken and so forth.  These ribs are easy to make, juicy, falling off the bone tender, and in 2 words:  sensationally scrumptious!  








Lazy Man’s Ribs
 Adapted 

Ingredients:

3 pounds pork baby back ribs, cut into eight pieces
2 teaspoons Cajun seasoning
1 medium onion, sliced
1 cup ketchup
½ cup packed brown sugar
1/3 cup orange juice
1/3 cup cider vinegar
¼ cup molasses
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon barbecue sauce
1 teaspoon stone-ground mustard
1 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon garlic powder
½ teaspoon Liquid Smoke

Method: 

Rub ribs with Cajun seasoning.
Layer ribs and onion in a 5-qt. slow cooker.
In a small bowl, combine the ketchup, brown sugar, orange juice, vinegar, molasses, Worcestershire sauce, barbecue sauce, mustard, paprika, garlic powder and Liquid Smoke.
Pour over ribs. Cover and cook on low for 5-6 hours or until meat is tender.

5 Servings


Deeelicious!!!


Hope you’re warm and cozy wherever you are!






Pin It

24 comments:

  1. Hi Pam, Winter has finally come to East Tennessee as well. We woke up this morning to maybe a half inch of snow on the grass and roof tops. It is cold, currently 19 degrees and going down to the low single digits tonight. By Wednesday, we'll be back up into the 40s for our high with 60 degrees predicted for Sunday. As for ribs, these look good but we're spoiled! We get all of our ribs from Big Dude...bigdudesramblings.blogspot.com/. Can't beat them and there is no work on our part! Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your ribs sound like the perfect comfort food for the terribly cold weather you are having. I made my husband promise me I would never have to be cold again, so you know how much I dislike the cold weather. I really feel for everyone up your way.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would absolutely love these!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dave, I checked out your blog! I believe you might be near my "neck of the woods!"

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pam,
    We have almost identical temps as you, even though the sun is shining now. Your ribs would certainly warm up our kitchen. The sauce sounds amazing. We'll have to try this one soon. Stay warm!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We had what you had..then the temps skyrocket to the 40's today with rains..tumbling back down to 0 as I type..
    Ribs look WOW..My daughters 3 boys love them..I am going to Pin so she will have the recipe too..
    Stay warm..

    ReplyDelete
  7. Now if only I new where we could buy liquid smoke. I have never seen it in any of the countries where I have lived! Keep warm Diane

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just heard on the news about your -40 degrees! Holy cow! I can almost smell those ribs cooking right now. I'd say y'all need some "stick to your ribs (no pun intended)" food right now.

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  9. sensationally scrumptious! - you can hardly beat a recipe that delivers that kind of satisfaction and it should hit the spot in this cold weather - especially if you have a fire to eat them in front of.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh YUM! Looks fabulous and I could drink that sauce! Thanks for the great recipe!

    The weather is crazy. It's going down to 18 degrees here tonight for the first time in 20 years! But -15 sounds scary! :) Stay warm, cher!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Stay Warm! It is getting cold here in NC, too...although I am from NY so it really isn't all that cold:-). I am all for lazy man recipes and these ribs sound delicious. TOH always has such great recipes and ribs would do well in a slow cooker.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gosh....that must really be COLD. We are in the teens here, and it seems so very cold...but I'm not going to complain about the teens when many of my friends are in the minus degrees.
    Now....this is what I call comfort food. Perfect meal for my family for tomorrow....
    Stay warm and dry...stay safe.
    Shug

    ReplyDelete
  13. The ribs sound outstanding.. and I love that you don't have to put much effort into them!!

    I will say, this is the time of the year that I am very grateful to live in the desert!! The cold I've been hearing about from my family in the Midwest is a bit too much for me. I'll take the 110 summers to ensure I don't have to have -30 winters!! lol Stay warm!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yum! These look amazing. I love ribs. Unfortunately my husband won't eat ribs and I don't have a slow cooker. I can only enjoy this vicariously through your blog. I appreciate being able to do so!

    ReplyDelete
  15. When we drove to pick up our grandsons for the day yesterday, it was -17 on our car! They said it was colder here than the South Pole :) Thankfully, we're going to warm up a little at the end of the week.

    These ribs look so tantalizing - tender and flavorful. I can't wait to try them!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Dear Pam, It is not quite as cold as where you are but as I write this it is 8 degrees with a wind chill of 15 degrees below!! It is just so cold!
    I don't blame the little snowman for wanting to go inside!
    I just love ribs. They are the type of food that makes everything better and you really can get into eating and enjoying with your heart.
    A delicious recipe.
    Blessings dear and please stay warm and safe.
    Catherine xo

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love your snowman picture! I also love the sound of these ribs. I can just imagine the smell in your house as they cook long and slow in the crock pot. We will have to give them a try. Believe it or not, we are pretty cold here in North Florida too. But nothing like what you are experiencing. Stay warm Pam.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hang in there my dear and you chose the perfect meal for these freezing days!

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a delicious sauce for your ribs! Pam, they must be so tender in the slow cooker! It's been frigid in MA, but today we saw temps in the 30's. Woohoo!
    ~Judy

    ReplyDelete
  20. We just had spareribs and sauerkraut on new years day but I'm sure my husband is going to want ribs again soon. I can't wait to try your version…the sauce sounds terrific.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Is there a substitution for the stone ground mustard?? It's pouring down rain and windy as can be.. I have everything else but forgot about the mustard.. AKKKKK

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi Pam,
    I have been reading the news about how cold some places are right now.
    Hope the weather improves and keep warm!
    The ribs looks smashing!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thanks to all of you for your nice comments. It's sunny and warmer here today, 28 degrees now and the palm trees are swaying! :-)

    Marianne, I hope this is in time. You can substitute the stone ground mustard with Dijon or any brown mustard. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I really appreciate this recipe. I'm not a rib smoker or BBQ'er because I don't know what I'm doing. I'll be trying this recipe very soon. Pinned.

    ReplyDelete

I'm happy to hear what you have to say, and appreciate your taking the time to comment. Thanks for stopping by and sharing your thoughts!

Keep smiling,
Pam