all sorts of recipes, from me to you

all sorts of recipes, from me to you…

Tuesday, January 21, 2014

A Healthy Splash of Bourbon in the Acorn Squash



Having grown up in Louisville, I’ve been along the Kentucky Bourbon Trail more than once, and know a healthy splash of bourbon can’t hurt.

Without doubt, bourbon jacks up the taste of acorn squash.  This dish is the perfect balance of sweet and savory, thanks to the heavenly flavors of butter, maple syrup and bourbon, floating together in the squash cavities. It’s delicious and goes well with pork, ham or turkey.
 




The distinctive flavor of bourbon sends this squash over the top.  What a way to eat your veggies!


Bourbon Baked Acorn Squash


Ingredients:

1 acorn squash
1/3 cup maple syrup
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
¼ cup bourbon
2 tablespoons butter, melted
Salt and seasoned pepper, to taste

Method:

Preheat oven at 375 degrees.
Cut squash in half and set cut-side up on baking dish.
Mix remaining ingredients in a small bowl.
Pour into squash cavities.
Brush edges with mixture.
Bake 45 minutes to 1 hour, until fork tender, basting once during baking time.
Serve


ENJOY!







14 comments:

From the Kitchen said...

We still have a few acorn squash and butternut squash from last fall. We also have some bourbon. Sounds like a good combination.

It has been snowing here since 8 p.m. last night. It stopped and now the sun is out but the temperature is 12 degrees and more snow on the way. Time to make soup!

Best,
Bonnie

JG said...

I like the combination adding flavors to the Acorn Squash, too! Pam, I haven't baked Acorn Squash in a long time, because I find it difficult to cut into it. Do you have any tips for cutting in half?
~Judy

Big Dude said...

Looks like a fine way to take acorn squash up several notch and kill any thing that shouldn't be in it :-)

David said...

Pam, We do cook an acorn squash from time to time with the same ingredients that you used...except for the addition of the bourbon! Thanks for the idea! We still haven't had measurable snow here in East Tennessee but it looks like you're getting more of that white stuff today... Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

Shug said...

Great flavors mixed together here. This is one tasty, healthy dish. Great food to warm the tummy on a cold Winter's day.

Sam Hoffer @ My Carolina Kitchen said...

A splash of bourbon makes everything taste better. Very healthy and comforting dish.
Sam

Nellie said...

This sounds delicious! I hope you are staying safe and warm!

Pam said...

Thanks, all!

Judy, they're surely not easy! Most of the time, Bill does it as he's the one with the strong arm. If I cut it, I use a butcher knife, cut half way through, flip it over and cut the other side. Wish I knew a clever solution!

Pam said...

Bonnie, I've been listening to the news about your snow. We were lucky with this one, only and inch or two, but bitter cold. Keep warm and take care.

Dave, I would gladly ship tons of snow to you, there's more than enough on the ground here. It's all of 9 degrees this afternoon. Miss it, don't you?

Velva said...

I can see why a little bourbon could jazz acorn squash...Nice!!!

Velva

SavoringTime in the Kitchen said...

I can imagine how wonderful bourbon must taste with squash but it's something I've never tried. I have an acorn squash waiting to be used and I will try bourbon when I make it!

Jenn S said...

What a great idea! This would probably be the only way I could get Chris to eat acorn squash!! lol

Francesca said...

Hello, my name is Francesca and I'm Italian. I stumbled upon your blog and I liked it because there are so many things belkle. I have joined your supporters. If you go too foul. Thank you.

Catherine said...

Dear Pam,, That sounds great! I am sure the taste is wonderful.
It is a great way to jazz up the taste.
Keep safe and keep warm.
Blessings dear. Catherine xo