all sorts of recipes, from me to you…


Monday, December 16, 2013

Chewy Chocolate Caramel Bars


Unwrapping all those caramels is the hardest part of this recipe ~ that’s when your assistant comes into play, like Bill did for me.  The rest is easy, peasy!




To tell the truth, I didn’t follow directions very well with this recipe.  The bottom is a sturdy oatmeal base, and then it should be topped with melted caramels, followed by chocolate chips spread over all.

I inadvertently melted the chocolate chips with the caramel, and I’m guessing it didn’t matter.  In fact the bars might be even better, as they turned out creamy smooth and delicious, bursting with that great caramel chocolaty flavor.

You’ll either need a chain saw or a strong man like my hubby to cut the cookies into bars ~ it’s a bit of a fight to get that first bar out of the pan!  I suggest lining the pan with parchment paper, enabling you to remove the whole slab from the pan, before slicing into bars. 

They’re a heavenly delightful mouthwatering sweet chewy bar, best cut small…



Chewy Chocolate Caramel Bars

Ingredients:

¾ cup melted butter
1 cup flour
1 cup oatmeal
¾ cup packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
¼ teaspoon salt
32 caramels, unwrapped
1 tablespoon butter
3 tablespoons milk
1 (6-ounce) package chocolate chips (about 1-cup)
½ cup chopped nuts, optional

Method:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
In small mixing bowl, combine butter, flour, oatmeal, brown sugar, baking soda and salt, mix well.
Put ¾ of oatmeal mixture in an ungreased 9” x 13” pan, pressing evenly over the bottom of the pan.
Bake for 10 minutes.
In a saucepan, combine the caramels, butter, and milk and heat, stirring until the caramels are melted.
Pour caramel mixture over the baked crust and sprinkle with chocolate chips and nuts.
Top with remaining butter-oatmeal mixture. 
Bake for 15 minutes more. 
Cool and cut into bars.


Delightfully divine chocolaty caramelized bars!



Be sure to visit my friend, Linda’s blog, @My Kind of Cooking for great tips and delicious easy recipes!






9 comments:

  1. Pam... Chocolate and caramel, my wife's favorites, especially in combination! This is a 'bad' time of the year for treats and temptations... Candies, cookies, comfort food...and we love it all! Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do things like that too:)

    Seems they are delish anyways!
    Happy Holidays:)

    I used to amke very similar ones..they were called caramel nut brownies.. I'd say.. oh 30 yrs ago:) a neighbour had given me the recipe..I remember unwrapping all teh caramels:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. How delicious they sound! I haven't bought caramels here in a very long time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a strong man, so looks like I can handle this with his help.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great looking bars! Caramels and choc are so perfect together!
    Perfect for the coming festive celebration.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I see they have oatmeal which means they are a health food--right? Whatever, they have all of my favorite ingredients. It's snowing again. I deserve them.

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yea, I don't think you can go wrong with this recipe..even if you don't follow the directions to the T :) These sounds wonderfully delicious!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. My mouth is watering..... Have a great week Diane

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, heavenly days!
    Those look yummy.

    M :)

    ReplyDelete

_____________________________________

"It's the onions. They're only supposed to sweat, but they fell down exhausted."

~~~ Mrs. Patmore, Downton Abbey (about a failed broth)

_______________________________________

Hi!
I am happy to hear what you have to say, and appreciate your taking the time to stop by and leave a comment.
Keep Smiling,
Pam