all sorts of recipes, from me to you…


Monday, November 18, 2013

Ultimate Stuffing


The title says it all!


We may talk turkey at the Thanksgiving table but, what we really crave is stuffing or dressing, as I grew up calling it.  No Thanksgiving meal would be complete without a great stuffing.  It is definitely my favorite part of the dinner.

Regardless, what you call it; stuffing or dressing, this dish is chock-full of good flavors.  This recipe from a friendly chef, begged to be posted again, because it is delicious!
I hope you try it and agree!

Ultimate Stuffing 

Ingredients: 

cup dried cherries, dried cranberries or golden raisins*
1½ cups orange liqueur, divided (I use Triple Sec)
½ cup butter
2 cups celery, chopped
1 large onion, chopped
1 pound Italian sausage, casing removed
1 (16-ounce) package stuffing mix
1 cup pecans, chopped
4 Honeycrisp or Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and chopped
½ cup butter, melted
2 cups chicken or vegetable broth
4 teaspoons chopped fresh sage, or 1 teaspoon dried
Salt and pepper, to taste

Method: 

Place cherries in a small saucepan and cover with 1 cup of orange liqueur.
Bring to a boil, remove from heat and set aside.
In a large skillet, melt ½ cup butter over medium heat.
Sauté the celery and onion for about 10 minutes.
Transfer to a large mixing bowl.
Using the same skillet, cook the sausage until crumbled and brown. 
Drain well.
Combine the sausage and stuffing mix with the celery and onion mixture.
Stir in the cherries and liqueur mixture, pecans and apples.
Mix in melted butter, water and remaining ½ cup orange liqueur.
The stuffing should be completely moistened.
Season with sage, salt and pepper.
Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
Butter a 15” x 10” baking dish and fill with stuffing.
Cover with buttered foil and bake till heated through, about 1 hour.
Uncover and bake until top is crisp, about 15 minutes.
Serves 8-10

 * Use a mixture of dried fruit you like:  cherries, cranberries, raisins, dates, etc.

It is the ultimate!

Be sure to visit my friend, Linda’s blog, @My Kind of Cooking for great tips and delicious easy recipes. 

Take a minute, and go here to enter a great giveaway from Hickory Farms!  It’s filled with delicious goodies you’ll like!







19 comments:

  1. Yum, love all of the fall flavors in your dressing Pam, especially the apples and the orange liqueur. Thanksgiving will be here before we know it.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Golden Raisins + Apples caught my attention. The more I read, the more I liked, Pam. Yum!
    ~Judy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, my! This definitely takes stuffing to a whole new level!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Nellie!

    Mr.Ken would love it for
    the stuffing.

    M :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a great stuffing filled with fall flavors-very nice!

    Happy Thanksgiving to you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pam, My wife would love this stuffing but I prefer the old tried and true version with spicy Italian sausage, onion and a bit of celery. I will admit that you have many more flavors and textures going for your stuffing though... Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Pam! The stuffing is ideal for the coming Thanksgiving! Looks perfect to me! My blog has become 5 years old and I am hosting a giveaway check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds very good and packed full of flavor.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear Pam, Stuffing is the ultimate part of the meal for me!! I love it.
    This sounds great.
    Can't believe we are sharing Thanksgiving recipes!! Where do the days go?!
    Blessings dear. Catherine xo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds great!
    Thanks for sharing, Pam!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Pretty doesn't count. Taste does. This sounds delicious!!

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your stuffing sounds terrific! Wish the hubby would let me experiment with our usual...maybe a small version is in order :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. This look delicious, Pam. And, we call it dressing at our house. :)


    Fondly,
    Glenda

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the addition of cherries in this stuffing, Pam. A nice change from cranberries!

    Thanks for sharing...

    ReplyDelete
  15. Now I'm in the mood for Thanksgiving! This seriously looks TOO good. Thank you for sharing Pam!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sausage and apples in dressing sounds divine. Pinned. Thanks for the recipe Pam.

    ReplyDelete
  17. There definitely are wonderful ingredients used in here... I don't think my stuffing is ever the same. I may have to try this one this year... so many stuffing recipes, so little time :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Cherries, what a GREAT idea. I love that flavor and have never thought about adding it to my dressing. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

_____________________________________

"It's the onions. They're only supposed to sweat, but they fell down exhausted."

~~~ Mrs. Patmore, Downton Abbey (about a failed broth)

_______________________________________

Hi!
I am happy to hear what you have to say, and appreciate your taking the time to stop by and leave a comment.
Keep Smiling,
Pam