all sorts of recipes, from me to you…


Friday, August 30, 2013

Faux Potato Salad



Cauliflower disguised as potatoes…


This “potato salad” is low in fat and carbs, so it’s a great choice for low-carb dieters and diabetics alike. 
   
Cauliflower, having few calories, and being a creamy vegetable, is a perfect substitution for potatoes and rice.  Other than cauliflower, this salad is filled with a great mix of ingredients ~ olives and dill pickles, carrots, radishes and celery for good flavors, textures and colors.

It’s healthy and a tasty side for grilled meat or fish!

Faux Potato Salad

Ingredients:

1 medium head cauliflower, broken into florets
1 carrot, chopped
1 celery rib, chopped
2 hard-cooked eggs, chopped
4 green onions, chopped
¼ cup green olives, sliced
¼ cup thinly sliced radishes
¼ cup chopped dill pickle
¼ cup low-fat mayonnaise
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
¼ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon seasoned pepper

Method:

In a large saucepan, add cauliflower and bring to a boil, cook until tender.
Drain and rinse with cold water, pat dry and place in a large bowl.
Add ingredients through dill pickle and toss.
In a small bowl, mix the remaining ingredients:  mayo, mustard, salt and pepper. 
Add to cauliflower mixture; toss to coat.
Refrigerate until serving.

It’s a keeper!



Be sure to visit my friend, Linda's blog, My Kind of Cooking, for her great cookbooks, tips and delicious recipes!






16 comments:

  1. What didn't I think of that?!! We love cauliflower--well, we like all the ingredients in this salad. I wish I had some already made to enjoy in this heat.

    Have a great weekend.

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a delicious way to use cauliflower and cut way back on calories. It's one of our favorite veggies and I can't wait to give this a try...this weekend in fact! Have a great holiday, Pam.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Pam,
    This is a beautiful and delicious way of using cauliflower. I love eating cauliflower, anyway they are done, and these looks delicious.
    Thanks for sharing.
    Hope you have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pam..I love this idea!! You are so great for finding this and sharing. This just might make me eat "potato salad" a little more often!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pam, Makes good sense to me. I've never been able to understand or appreciate cold potatoes...but I like the idea of using cauliflower instead! Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Pam....you're making my taste buds sing!! We are having a BBQ at our church on Monday and this recipe would certainly fit right in! (Could you ship me a big bowl of it) lol !!! I do think this would be a great dish for me to take...
    Have a great Holiday weekend...
    hugs,
    shug

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a terrific idea Pam and so much more carb friendly than potatoes. Hope you are having a great Labor Day weekend.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great idea. I have zucchini up to my eyeballs. I suppose I could make this using it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is a great idea! I love the substitution of potatoes with cauliflower!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is a very waist friendly dish Pam.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've never been fond of potato salad. Cauliflower Salad looks delicious - thanks, Pam!
    ~Judy

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is a nice alternative to using potatoes. Cauliflower has grown to provide a lot of alternatives with cauliflower steaks too.

    Nice.

    Velva

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Pam! This is a great idea! We love cauliflower, but I've never thought of using it in the place of potatoes. Thank you for sharing! I hope you had a wonderful weekend, and I hope you have an even better start to your week.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Fun idea that looks delicious.


    Fondly,
    Glenda

    ReplyDelete

_____________________________________

"It's the onions. They're only supposed to sweat, but they fell down exhausted."

~~~ Mrs. Patmore, Downton Abbey (about a failed broth)

_______________________________________

Hi!
I am happy to hear what you have to say, and appreciate your taking the time to stop by and leave a comment.
Keep Smiling,
Pam