all sorts of recipes, from me to you…


Monday, April 8, 2013

Salad of Mesclun Greens with Grapes and Feta Cheese



Crisp, juicy sweet grapes, savory feta cheese, and colorful greens ~ this salad is a splendid starter!




It’s a refreshing salad with lots of good flavors and textures.  Feta cheese delivers a tang to the salad; however, if you’re a fan of blue cheese, swap it for even more bite. 

Years ago, I learned from my mother, the oil to vinegar ratio for making a vinaigrette dressing; and now, after making it for years, I rarely measure the ingredients. 

The perfect ratio is 3 parts oil to 1 part acid (vinegar or lemon.)  Reverse that ratio, and you will be puckering up!  And, depending on the level of acidity, the ratio may have to be adjusted so ~ go by what tastes good to you!



To take the edge off the acidity, I usually add a touch of sugar to the dressing, whether it is white sugar, honey, jam, or even Splenda.  Embellish it with fresh herbs, if you wish.

This colorful simple salad satisfies me for a main course!


Mesclun Salad with Grapes and Feta Cheese

Ingredients for dressing:

6 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons red-wine vinegar
½ teaspoon Splenda, optional
Salt, to taste
Seasoned pepper, to taste

Prepare dressing by whisking in a bowl or shaking in a jar, all ingredients until blended.

Salad:

8 cups mesclun salad greens
1 head radicchio, thinly sliced
2 cups (1-pound) halved seedless red and green grapes
¾ cup crumbled feta cheese

To prepare salad:

Just before serving, toss greens and radicchio in a large bowl. 
Drizzle dressing on top and toss to coat.
Divide the salad among 8 plates.
Scatter grapes and cheese over each salad.
Serve immediately.
8 servings



ENJOY!!!




Be sure to visit my friend, Linda’s blog, @My Kind of Cooking for great tips and delicious easy recipes! 







14 comments:

  1. Perfect! And the past few days have shown promise of salad weather (we'll have soup all summer though). Yesterday it was almost 70. Nice today but the wind is wild! Hope you are enjoying this good weather too!

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now so long as I use spinach instead of lettuce I just might convince my husband that salads really are good. Perfect as it is for me though. Have a good week Diane

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice salad. We have always used the same ratio and only very rarely do we have a bottled dressing in the house.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is definitely my kind of salad, Pam! Looks yummy.
    ~Judy

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love feta on my salads! I usually make sure I have some just for that use! Love this salad too.. simple and refreshing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pam, I'm not usually a fan of fruit in my salad...but this version sounds very nice indeed! Feta cheese and grapes sound like they belong together... Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love fruit in my salads and your dressing would be perfect on any salad.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Perfect for my low-calorie diet that I am on. Always looking for a good salad.
    Enjoy your day.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a pretty salad Pam. I would have never thought to use grapes and feta together, but I bet they are fabulous.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  10. This looks delicious! I like my dressings about half an half, I love vinegar :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. We eat a lot of salads here and this would be a wonderful one to add to the weekly mix! Love feta cheese too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fruit salads is always welcomed here but these would be a favorite with feta cheese! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a tasty salad! I love how there's a good mix of sweet and salty in here!

    ReplyDelete
  14. How funny, Pam, I use a jar to mix & store my vinaigrettes, too. Adding about a teaspoon of honey also helps bind the oil & vinegar together.

    This is such a refreshing salad!

    ReplyDelete

_____________________________________

"It's the onions. They're only supposed to sweat, but they fell down exhausted."

~~~ Mrs. Patmore, Downton Abbey (about a failed broth)

_______________________________________

Hi!
I am happy to hear what you have to say, and appreciate your taking the time to stop by and leave a comment.
Keep Smiling,
Pam