Catfish Simply Pan-fried



I seldom fry foods any more, but last night, we were hungry for some fried catfish.




To me, the perfect fried catfish has one essential ingredient ~ cornmeal.  It adds great texture and crunch.  However, Bill disagrees and tends to prefer catfish dusted with flour.  This time, we met in the middle and I used a coating of half cornmeal, half flour.  The catfish was delicious and made us both happy!

I like the distinct taste of catfish, and if only I had some hush puppies…




Pan-fried Catfish

Ingredients:

4 catfish fillets
1 cup buttermilk
½ cup flour
½ cup cornmeal
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon seasoned pepper
¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
½ teaspoon garlic powder
Vegetable oil

Method:

In a large bowl, soak catfish in enough buttermilk to cover, for one hour and drain well.
Mix dry ingredients in a bowl.
Pour oil in a cast-iron skillet heat until oil is hot.
Dredge fish in flour mixture.
Gently place fillets in hot oil.
Pan-fry for 3-4 minutes on each side, or until golden brown and fish is flaky.
Fry the fish in batches, adding more oil if necessary, until done.
Remove from oil and drain on paper towel-lined plate.
Serve hot with tartar sauce.

Simply delicious!!!


Be sure to visit my friend, Linda’s blog, @My Kind of Cooking for great tips and delicious easy recipes! 








Comments

  1. My very first catfish came right out of the Mississippi River back about 30 years. I've been hooked ever since.

    ReplyDelete
  2. However you "dress" catfish, I like it! Our favorite Thai restaurant does catfish with a delicious sauce that contains sweet and mildly hot peppers. The sauce also has a sweetness to it. First they fry the fish until the outside is crisp. Delicious! My southern mother would side with you on the cornmeal.

    I'm off to turn my face to the sun before it disappears. Have a good weekend.

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pam, Those catfish filets are just terrific looking! My mouth is watering... Thanks for the recipe. I just hope that our efforts turn out as beautiful as yours did! Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sandie at Chatty Chrone's directed me here and I'm so glad. We love catfish and we fix it with the same breading, both cornmeal and flour.
    However, I need to use your trick of soaking it in buttermilk first. Can't wait to try it that way.
    Thanks for the tip.
    BlessYa

    ReplyDelete
  5. Se ve estupendo, que bueno.

    Saludos

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like to use part flour, part cornmeal, too. Bet this was great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great compromise. Your catfish looks perfect!
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh yes,,fried catfish. Brings back memories of my childhood in Iowa.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hmmm....love the way how you did with the catfish. Normally, the Malaysian will use it to make black bean soup or flour coated to deep fried.
    Enjoy your weekend.
    Kristy

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh...and some even used it to make curry. Slurpppp...

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just had real fried catfish for the first time a couple of months ago, I have been craving it ever since. This looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's just darn hard to beat catfish breaded with meal and pan fried.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sounds like a good compromise and looks like a delicious meal!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm with you on the cornmeal!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Dear Pam, That looks very delicious.
    I like a good piece of fried fish.
    Blessings dear. Catherine xo

    ReplyDelete
  16. After trying several different combinations for the coating, I do the half and half also! We love our catfish here at the Compound. Thanks for leaving a comment on my blog.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

________________________

Sandwiches are wonderful. You don’t need a spoon or a plate.
- Paul Lynde
_______________

Hi!
I am happy to hear what you have to say, and appreciate your taking the time to stop by and leave a comment.
Keep Smiling,
Pam
_________________________

Printfriendly



I want to enjoy my life, and food is a big part of it.

~ Gwyneth Paltrow





Popular posts from this blog

Tender and Delicious Italian-Style Baked Chicken Breasts

Succulent Slow-cooker Pork Loin in Gravy

Bubba’s Winning Homemade Summer Sausage

The Best Lemon Pound Cake ~ I’m Telling You the Truth!

ʟɪᴋᴇ ᴏɴ ғᴀᴄᴇʙᴏᴏᴋ

Dinner Party

Dinner Party
Jules-Alexandre Grun

Since 2009