all sorts of recipes, from me to you…


Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Baked Pasta with Roasted Red Peppers Tomatoes and Sausage



I wasn’t around then    but I’m guessing the tribe ate one-dish meals back in prehistoric days.  Whatever food they had on hand, was thrown into one pot and cooked over a fire to feed them.



This is a great casual meal if you like sweet sausage, roasted red peppers, tomatoes and mushrooms combined with pasta.  The sausage is not cooked and crumbled as usual; simply sliced into bite-size pieces and sautéed first with onions and garlic.  You can roast the red peppers yourself, or buy a jar as I do.




It doesn’t get much easier! It’s a “no fuss” meal that tastes delicious, and it’s perfect comfort food while it’s still chilly here!

The bad thing is ~~~ I neglected to take photos after it was sprinkled with cheese and baked!  You’ll just have to imagine it…


Baked Pasta with Roasted Red Peppers Tomatoes and Sausage

Ingredients:

1 pound penne rigate pasta
2 pounds sweet Italian link sausage, cut into 1-inch chunks
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 large onion, chopped
2 (26-ounce) jars marinara sauce
1 (15-ounce) can petite-diced tomatoes, undrained
1 jar roasted red peppers, drained
½ cup red wine, or water
1 pound button mushrooms, sliced
1 tablespoon sugar
1 tablespoon Italian Seasoning
½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon seasoned pepper
2 cups mozzarella cheese, shredded
1 cup Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, freshly grated

Method:

Cook pasta according to package directions until almost al dente, drain well, set aside.
In a large skillet or saucepan, sauté onion, garlic and sausage until sausage is no longer pink.
Stir in next 10 ingredients, through seasoned pepper, and blend well.
Simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Stir in cooked pasta and mix well.
Coat a 15 x 10-inch baking dish with nonstick spray.
Layer half of the pasta mixture in baking dish.
Sprinkle 1-cup mozzarella over top.
Spread remaining pasta mixture over all.
Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes, or until warm throughout.
Top with remaining cup of mozzarella.
Cover with foil.
Bake for another 10-15 minutes, until cheese is melted.
Sprinkle with Parmigiano reggiano.
Let stand for 5 minutes.
Serves 10-12


Serve it with Caesar salad and garlic bread, it will be a hit for your crowd! 
♥~♥~♥


Be sure to visit my friend, Linda’s blog, @My Kind of Cooking for great tips and delicious easy recipes! 








18 comments:

  1. You have to stop copying me. I'm cooking penne today to go with tomatoes, leftover okra, and kielbasa. Like minds ....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stephen, you always have the best and I do my best at trying to read your mind!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have cooler weather coming in tonight. 80 degrees yesterday and 40 tomorrow. This will be a good recipe to try out on my family.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not sure those red peppers would make it into the pot :) Love these kind of dishes - so easy and so good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would have no trouble sitting at your table. Looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Vaya pinta tan deliciosa.

    Saludos

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks delicious and one I will be trying!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I jump on recipes that have the words "red pepper" in them - this sounds awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You had me at roasted red peppers..yum!

    ReplyDelete
  10. YUM! I make a dish very similar to this and we love it!! Wish I had some right now.... nothing like a good pasta dish for breakfast :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. All of my favorite flavors.... I love sausages and peppers with pasta! Never thought about baking it all.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Baked pasta dishes has to be in the top 5 of my comfort foods, this looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my, this is fantastic! I love the flavor of sweet Italian sausage and everything in this casserole, Pam.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The yummy flavors in this pasta dish make it something my family would love!

    ReplyDelete
  15. looks really yummy... Thank you for sharing this.
    Modular Kitchen Collection

    ReplyDelete
  16. This looks absolutely wonderful! What a great, simple recipe. love it.
    Modular kitchen collection

    ReplyDelete

_____________________________________

"It's the onions. They're only supposed to sweat, but they fell down exhausted."

~~~ Mrs. Patmore, Downton Abbey (about a failed broth)

_______________________________________

Hi!
I am happy to hear what you have to say, and appreciate your taking the time to stop by and leave a comment.
Keep Smiling,
Pam