all sorts of recipes, from me to you

all sorts of recipes, from me to you…

Thursday, March 7, 2013

Overnight French Toast...



As I’m cooking and eating dinner, I’m on to “what do you want for breakfast?” 

I never thought I would, but I’ve turned into my mother ~~~ It’s always about the next meal…

And for me, the next meal is the best meal, my favorite meal:  BREAKFAST!







It makes me happy when there’s a “crowd” around for breakfast; I like to cook a big one for everyone.  And for these breakfasts, I sometimes lean towards serving a casserole dish like this one.

This recipe is put together the night before, and then popped in the oven the next morning. It’s a sweet treat for breakfast that pleases everyone with its good flavors and its bit of crunchiness.







Top it with whatever floats your boat ~ fresh fruit, confectioner’s sugar, or whipped cream; I myself, like it with a pat of butter and maple syrup. 

With a side of crisp bacon, it’s heavenly!  And, maybe a fried egg---over easy, whole-wheat toast, hash browns, a couple of sausage patties, a bear claw, some melon, or berries, and my home-made cherry jam… 

Are you hungry yet???




Overnight French Toast

Ingredients:

12 (3/4-inch) slices Tuscan or French bread
5 eggs
1¼ cups milk
¼ cup half and half
2 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons maple syrup
½ teaspoon cinnamon
2 teaspoons vanilla
¼ teaspoon salt

 Method:

Arrange bread in a 9-by-13-inch baking dish that has been coated with cooking spray.
Do not crowd bread.
In a large bowl, beat remaining ingredients.
Pour over bread.
Cover and refrigerate overnight.

In the morning:
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Turn bread slices over to make sure they are coated well with egg mixture.
Bake for 15 minutes.
Turn over and bake for another 15-20 minutes until golden brown.
if not brown enough, broil for a minute, if you desire.
Serve with maple syrup, confectioner’s sugar or fresh fruit.
Serves 6


Tell me ~~~ have you turned into your mother?



Be sure to visit my friend, Linda’s blog, @My Kind of Cooking for great tips and delicious easy recipes! 







Pin It

26 comments:

  1. OH MAN, want! Breakfast is my favorite too. I love something like this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That would be my father. He always accused us of thinking about the next meal!! We have an overnight French toast recipe that we love making for a crowd. Your's looks delicious.

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Que estupenda receta, me gusta.

    Saludos

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jennifer, woo hoo, for breakfast!

    Bonnie, here's to your father! Now I want to know your recipe.

    jose manuel, me gusta tambien!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, I know I haven't turned into YOUR mother. LOL This recipe makes me think of a variation that I'll email you about.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stephen, thank goodness! I'll check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am also always thinking of the next meal, not sure if it is a good or bad habit! I will surely try this out it sounds amazing. Thanks Diane

    ReplyDelete
  8. Diane, thanks! Glad I'm not the only one!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes! I am hungry... and that is heavenly!

    ReplyDelete
  10. oh..goodness..can we have a sleepover?
    there is nothing i'd love more than to have someone make this for me..along with bacon,melon.............!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. oh,ps..i'm close to being my mom in that i say things she said..but i will never the woman she was..she is my hero!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. oh,goodness...and your jam...and hash browns!!
    oh..you really need to do a sleepover!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am on my way to your house, what time is breakfast? I only make big breakfasts when we have company. With just my husband and I at home, it is easier to make eggs and bacon. But the next time I have visitors over night, this will be their breakfast!

    ReplyDelete
  14. mmm...looks so juicy, soft and delicious! I love french toast but have not had one for ages. It's about time to make some :-). Thank you for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  15. HUAU.....Pam each day better!

    Well, go on!!! with your beautiful ideas.

    Thanks for Shearing with us.

    Your Fan from Portugal...

    JS

    ReplyDelete
  16. As you know, I cook breakfast for all the grandkids each morning, before they head out school. They start arriving around 6:45 and it thrills my heart to know they will soon be heading to school with full tummies. I am always looking for new breakfast foods and I know this is one that they will love! Just can't beat a good breakfast...makes the day start out good...
    Great recipe!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Pam, Letting the French toast sit overnight has to add lots of flavor! Sounds great... Also, thanks for asking. I'm healing well... Sorry about your 10" of snow! It will be 64 here tomorrow with sunshine. Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

    ReplyDelete
  18. Pam I love french toasts too and yours french toasts look amazing and deelicious!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh my gosh, that looks so good. I haven't had french toast in years. That's one of my favorite breakfasts with eggs and bacon.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love that this makes for such a stress-free morning!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I am definitely hungry, it is breakfast time for me :) I have not had french toast in years.

    ReplyDelete
  22. NO! My Mom and I are such opposites! But I am always thinking of my next meal and I wish for it to be this french toast! It looks so crispy and delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  23. YES! I look like my mom and now I find I'm acting like her, too! I love overnight French toast and your cinnamon version looks divine, Pam!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Overnight french toasts have been hit and miss for us. Sometimes they over-puff when we bake them and sometimes just too gooey. I think that is because there are so many variables (width, depth of the pan, airiness of the bread used, etc).

    ReplyDelete
  25. Pam, this would be wonderful for breakfast on Easter Sunday! It looks delicious and it certainly is easy to do. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  26. I don't often eat a big breakfast but when I do, I want it to be a good one. This would be perfect for when you're serving breakfast to a group like we do when we're on vacation with friends. It sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete

I'm happy to hear what you have to say, and appreciate your taking the time to comment. Thanks for stopping by and sharing your thoughts!

Keep smiling,
Pam