all sorts of recipes, from me to you

all sorts of recipes, from me to you…

Monday, March 4, 2013

Baked Tilapia with Bell Peppers and Red Onions



I’m really not keen on seafood at all, and would opt for beef every time; however ~~~ the powers that be, tell me I should include fish or seafood on the menu a couple of times a week.



cartoon by Charles Barsotti








That’s when I turn to tilapia, chiefly because there is a limited variety of fish in the stores here in the “burbs” of Chicago.  Not only is tilapia readily available, it’s fairly inexpensive, and is an indistinctive fish that takes kindly to doctoring up, versatile like chicken.

This recipe for tilapia appeals to me because of the bell peppers and the lively sauce spreading the fish.  Use whichever bell peppers you prefer for a colorful dish. Spicy stone ground mustard and balsamic vinegar are the base for the sauce along with a little olive oil and lemon juice.  








This is a healthy dish packed with good flavors!


Baked Tilapia with Bell Peppers and Red Onions

Ingredients:                   

Tilapia, 4 filets
1 small red onion, sliced
½ red bell pepper, sliced
½ green bell pepper, sliced
2 tablespoons olive oil
3 tablespoons stone ground mustard
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1 tablespoon lemon juice
¼ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon seasoned pepper

Method:

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
Spray baking sheet with cooking spray.
Arrange tilapia on baking sheet.
Place peppers and onions over fish.
Stir together remaining ingredients.
Spoon over fish and vegetables.
Bake for about 15 minutes until fish and vegetables are tender.


ENJOY!!!



Be sure to visit my friend, Linda’s blog, @My Kind of Cooking for great tips and delicious easy recipes! 






Pin It

15 comments:

Big Dude said...

Good looking fish Pam. We have a piece of grouper thawing for supper tonight.

Mary Spilman said...

Looks great. I'll be making this on Friday (and doubling the veg). have a great day.

http://www.casaenlacocina.com/

Cheryl @ TFD said...

I just bought some tilapia the other day and was trying to decide how to fix it. This recipe looks like just the thing to try...thanks!

StephenC said...

When I was on tour the only kind of fish we could find was groupie (bah, dah, bing). Yep, tilapia is a decent fish. See if you can find swai in the frozen fish section. It's a delicate white fish which can be quickly flash sauteed (1 1/2 min per side - how quick is that?).

Food, Fun and Life in the Charente said...

We never see Tilapia here but it is a fish I always enjoyed. Take care Diane

Pam said...

Larry, I like grouper but have only have it in the South, not available here at all. Bet your dinner will be a good one tonight!

Mary, thanks! Hope you like it!

Cheryl, I hope you do make it and like it too!

Stephen, lol! I've heard of swai and have looked for it, to no avail. Now I will have to talk to the fishmonger about stocking it! It sounds perfect, thanks!

Diane, that's too bad it's not available by you. I really like it too, not a strong fishy taste and versatile.

Sam @ My Carolina Kitchen said...

We love seafood and eat fish several times a week. Tilapia is an excellent option and often on sale in our store. This is beautiful Pam. I bet you love fish now.
Sam

Bernideen said...

This sounds delightful!

Joanne said...

That sauce sounds like the perfect way to spruce up tilapia!

Jenn said...

As you know, we eat a lot of tilapia around here too.. Chris isn't a huge seafood fan, so it's about the only thing I can put in front of him that he won't turn his nose up to :) Love this recipe.. simple and delicious!

Linda Burgett said...

I am sharing this recipe with my Mom. They eat a lot of Tilapia and would love the flavors in this dish.

Monet said...

This fish looks delicious, Pam! I love tilapia, and I'm always looking for new recipes. Thank you for sharing!

Leslie said...

Yum Pam!!! I love tilapia and eat it atleast 4 times a week. I've never made it with peppers though... but I will. I think I will have this for lunch tomorrow. Sorry for being such a crappy blogger lately. Hope all is well.

Dining Alone said...

Tilapia is one of my 'go-to' seafood choices too, I usually grab some at Trader Joes. This looks like a great way to enjoy it!

Chris said...

You are a woman after my own heart because I say if God intended for man to eat a lot of fish, he would have made it taste like bacon.