Asparagus with Pine Nuts and Cranberries



Usually, I like asparagus steamed and served with just a touch of butter and salt and pepper.  For guests, especially at Easter, I like it gussied up a little.




Some folks claim that pine nuts have a mild pine taste; to me they are sort of sweet and nutty.  Whatever the flavor is to you, it pleasingly complements other flavors, particularly after toasting.  If you prefer, substitute slivered almonds for the pine nuts.




Slightly tart and tangy cranberries round out the dish, making it a delicious side dish which goes along nicely with ham, turkey, and salmon, just to name a few.

This asparagus is simple and quite elegant.  I hope you like it too…


Asparagus with Pine Nuts and Cranberries

Ingredients:

1 pound asparagus stalks, trimmed
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1/3 cup pine nuts
1/3 cup dried cranberries
Salt and seasoned pepper, to taste

Method:

Steam asparagus in a steamer, covered, for 4-5 minutes, to your desired degree of doneness.
Remove to serving dish, and keep warm.
Meanwhile, in a small skillet, heat oil and sauté remaining ingredients until pine nuts are toasted.
Arrange over asparagus.
Serves 4


ENJOY!!!



Be sure to visit my friend, Linda’s blog, @My Kind of Cooking for great tips and delicious easy recipes! 






Comments

  1. Look beautiful Pam and really spring time:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love pine nuts, I just made a stuffing with them over the weekend. This asparagus dish looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the taste (not piney to me) and crunch of pine nuts. And, I can't wait for fresh asparagus to pop up in the markets. This recipe sounds delicious!

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very clever... I like for my food to look tasty and these photos sure make this dish a winner..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pam, We love asparagus with butter and a bit of salt and pepper. Shaved parmesan works well too, especially if the asparagus is roasted. I like this variation... Sounds interesting with a whole lot of flavor going on! Thanks and Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

    ReplyDelete
  6. Can we join you for Easter please, that looks wonderful :-) Have a good one Diane

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, your asparagus looks so pretty. I always do asparagus dishes for Easter and this is a must-try.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  8. Asparagus = Spring! It looks delicious, Pam.
    ~Judy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Asparagus is one of my favorite spring treats. This looks delicious! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, this has my name written all over it! What a great side dish!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love asparagus and this looks fab with the cranberries and pine nuts! Yum! Might just have to add this to my Easter menu. Thanks and have a Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Our asparagus should be popping out shortly and I'm always needing new ways to serve it. Thanks for this one.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Our asparagus should be popping out shortly and I'm always needing new ways to serve it. Thanks for this one.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have served asparagus in many ways but never would have thought of this lovely combination. The little crunch of the nuts and sweetness of the cranberries would compliment it perfectly. And it's easy to prepare on top of it! Thanks, Pam. Happy Easter.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Gloria, thanks! It will be even better when local fresh asparagus is ready!

    Stephen, thanks!

    Rhonda, me too. And your stuffing must've been great!

    Bonnie, thanks! I love the addition of pine nuts in recipes and it's great with asparagus. Can't wait for spring and fresh veggies!

    Shug, thanks! They spruce the asparagus up for sure!

    jose, gracias! Que tengas un buen dia!

    Dave, thanks! There's lots of good flavors in it and crunch too!

    Diane, yes! I would love that and wish you could! Good day!

    Sam, thanks! I bet you'll really like it!

    Sue, thanks!

    Judy, yes! Asparagus is a sure sign of spring; now if only it would warm up.

    scrambled, me too! I so agree.

    Mary, great! We all think it's a winner here.

    Marguerite, thanks! I hope you make it and it's a hit there too!

    Mary, thank you!

    Larry, I know what you mean. Sometimes you just need to cook it a little differently!

    Cathy, yes! It's easy and filled with good flavors!

    ReplyDelete
  16. A little gussying up can definitely be fun! This looks super tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love new ways to serve asparagus and this one sounds delicious, Pam! I love pine nuts.

    ReplyDelete
  18. A great side dish for the holiday AND
    beyond.

    M :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a lovely vegetable dish! And it looks so delicious! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I LOVE this recipe!! It is another one I have to print out. Thanks, Pam!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

________________________

How am I supposed to relax in a world where “truffle” can mean either chocolate or fungus?
- from a cartoon by Dan Piraro
_______________

Hi!
I am happy to hear what you have to say, and appreciate your taking the time to stop by and leave a comment.
Keep Smiling,
Pam
_________________________