all sorts of recipes, from me to you

all sorts of recipes, from me to you…

Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Red Velvet Cake Roll with Buttercream Filling for Your Valentine


Red Velvet Cake Roll 

is one dessert that 

screams

 Happy Valentine’s Day!”






Although red velvet may be associated with the South ~ remember the red velvet groom’s cake, shaped like an armadillo, in the 1989 film, Steel Magnolias ~ the origin of the cake and recipe is well-known from New York City’s famed Waldorf-Astoria Hotel. 

Red velvet is everywhere and in everything from whoopie pies, to ice cream, to coffee, cupcakes and this red velvet cake roll.  The Republic of Tea makes a Red Velvet Chocolate Tea that tastes like devil’s food cake and gets its red tint from beets, instead of food coloring, and Rooibos, a South African tea known as red bush. 


Whether red velvet obtains its coloring from beets, or red food coloring, it’s a cake with a distinct red tint.  This moist cake roll, with just a hint of chocolate, is rolled around a luscious buttercream filling that will make your taste buds happy. 






Do not hesitate in making this; it is not difficult.  Just be sure to place it on the towel immediately after removing from the oven, and wrap it tightly to avoid cracking.  This recipe is adapted from a Domino Sugar cake roll recipe.

Seeing red” is a good thing sometimes!


Red Velvet Cake Roll with Buttercream Filling

Cake roll ingredients:

4 eggs
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1 tablespoon oil
2 tablespoons buttermilk
1 teaspoon cider vinegar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 ounce red food coloring
½ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
¼ cup cocoa powder (I used Hershey’s Special Dark Cocoa)
¾ cup cake flour, sifted
Confectioner’s sugar for dusting

Method:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Coat a jelly roll pan with cooking spray.
Line with waxed paper and coat with cooking spray.
Beat eggs for 5 minutes.
Slowly add sugar and oil, beating well.
Add buttermilk, vinegar, vanilla and food coloring.
Sift together dry ingredients.
Add to liquid ingredients slowly.
Beat 2 minutes, until well combined.
Pour batter into pan and bake for 12-15 minutes, until cake springs back when touched in center.
Sprinkle a cloth towel with confectioner’s sugar. 
Immediately, place cake on towel; peel off waxed paper.
Starting at narrow end, roll up cake and towel tightly.
Place seam side down on rack to cool for 30 minutes.
Unroll cake gently.
Spread buttercream filling over cake, leaving a ½” border on the long side.
Trim any rough edges, and re-roll cake without the towel.
Place seam side down on cookie sheet.
Dust with confectioner’s sugar.
Cut into slices with a serrated knife.
Serve



Buttercream filling:

¼ cup sugar
1 large egg white
12 tablespoons butter, softened at room temperature
1 teaspoon vanilla

Whisk egg white and sugar in a large bowl over simmering water.
Whisk constantly until the sugar melts into the egg white.
Keep whisking until there are no sugar granules remaining, when rubbed between your finger and thumb.
When well-blended, transfer to a stand mixer and whip until it doubles in volume.
Add vanilla.
Add butter, a little at a time, until the mixture has thickened to a buttercream icing consistency.


It’s irresistibly delicious!




HAPPY VALENTINE’S DAY TO YOU ALL!!!




Be sure to visit my friend, Linda’s blog, @My Kind of Cooking for great tips and delicious easy recipes! 









20 comments:

Bernideen said...

I love cake roulades and this is perfect to celebrate!

bellini said...

It is such a beautiful dessert Pam, and you're right...it has Valentine's Day written all over it.

Shug said...

so pretty and so delicious looking...I think I will make this for my honey....He WILL be surprised!
thanks for sharing with us..

Jill from Killeny Glen said...

Oh Pam...my mouth waters just looking at the photo! I adore Red Velvet!

David said...

Pam, These red velvet cake rolls look great! Too bad I don't bake... Maybe there's a way I could convince my Valentine to bake these up for us to share?! I'd be asking for trouble I think... Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

jose manuel said...

Genial como te ha quedado, de lujo.

SAludos

Cheryl @ TFD said...

Oh this looks so good! I love Red Velvet Cake. I'm not supposed to eat things like this, but I just might make an exception for this recipe! Thanks for sharing!

StephenC said...

You have just given me a fabulous idea. If I get it to fruition you know where my blog is.

Jenn said...

Oh, Pam, that roll looks amazing! And yes, how could I forget the armadillo cake.. hehe.. love that movie!!

teresa said...

absolutely gorgeous, so perfect for valentine's day!

Food, Fun and Life in the Charente said...

Yum I bet that tastes good. Diane

SavoringTime in the Kitchen said...

I've seen lots of red velvet cupcakes the past week but I love the idea of your cake roll so much better. How lovely.

Carol Z said...

You got me! I'll be stopping by with the coffee. Happy Valentine wishes!

GLENDA CHILDERS said...

Happy Valentines Day, Pam.

Fondly,
Glenda

betty manousos said...

happy belated valentine's day!

this looks and sounds wonderful! so perfect for valentine's day.
love the photo as well.
bookmarked it.

dropped by via betsy's to say hi.

Melinda said...

Well, you had me at Red Velvet!

One of my faves.

M :)

Cathy at Wives with Knives said...

I have never tried making a red velvet cake roll and I love that beautiful color. How perfect for Valentine's Day.

Karen said...

I love cake rolls... they always seem so celebratory!

Linda Burgett said...

Red Velvet cake is my son's favorite cake! I am going to have to print this recipe and make it for his birthday. :)

Marguerite said...

Omg, to "die for", cher! Looks fab and I will be making it soon. Thanks for another great recipe!