all sorts of recipes, from me to you

all sorts of recipes, from me to you…

Thursday, January 17, 2013

Frankfurter Goulash a la Walter Slezak and Soaps



I hear you ~ “Who in the world is Walter Slezak?”

Were you a fan of Victoria Lord’s on One Life to Live?  Not that I ever watched it.  Way back, when the boys were young, I was into General Hospital (the days of Luke and Laura) and Days of our Lives ~ like the sands through the hourglass, so are the days of our lives... 


Luke & Laura-1981


Luke & Laura-2006



Days of Our Lives cast-1982



Anyway, Victoria Lord was portrayed by Erika Slezak, the daughter of Walter Slezak.  Walter appeared in many Hollywood movies, usually as a villain or thug, but occasionally in a lighter role, as in “The Wonderful World of the Brothers Grimm.  I’m guessing you’d have to be about my age to barely remember him…



Walter circa 1946
Erika as Victoria Lord 



One Life to Live---finale cast photo-Jan. 13, 2012



And exactly what he has to do with frankfurter goulash, I have no idea.  I just stumbled across this recipe on the Internet and since it’s different, thought I’d give it a whirl.  







Frankfurter Goulash ala Walter Slezak

Ingredients:

3 tablespoons oil
1 onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 green bell pepper, chopped
1 (14½-ounces) can Del Monte Diced Tomatoes, drained
1 (10-ounce) cans Rotel Tomatoes with Green Chiles
1 (8-ounce) can tomato sauce
Seasoned pepper to taste
½ teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon caraway seeds
1 teaspoon mustard
8 frankfurters, sliced ½-inch thick
2-3 cups white rice, cooked

Method:

In a large skillet, heat the oil and add onions and garlic.
Cook over medium heat until onions are tender.
Add bell pepper and cook until tender.
Add remaining ingredients through mustard and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Stir in frankfurters and simmer for 10 minutes. 
Serve over rice.


ENJOY!!!



Be sure to visit my friend, Linda’s blog, @My Kind of Cooking for great tips and delicious easy recipes! 








17 comments:

StephenC said...

I remember Walter Slezak, but then I AM of a "certain age." Didn't know about his daughter. As for hot dogs (or franks), I put two of the (turkey variety) in tortillas for Peter's lunch today. Love me a hot dog, a brat, a half smoke (actually I'd like a full smoke right now, Marlboro Light please).

Becky Higgins said...

I used to watch General Hospital and One Life to Live, and have seen Erika Slezak, because I am a "certain age.'

I have never had goulash with frankfurters, but yours look good.

Melynda and Terry, we are the Browns! said...

Ahhhh, yes oh so many years ago! I love a good goulash, thanks for sharing.

From the Kitchen said...

My mother and sister introduced me to Days of our Lives and Another World when my boys were a toddler and an infant. Here's how I watched: I put the boys down for a nap and laid down on the sofa. I saw the first fifteen minutes of DOL, fell asleep and awoke for the last fifteen minutes of AW. Of course, that's all one needed to keep up!! The goulash sounds delicious.

Best,
Bonnie

Pam said...

Stephen, I remember Walter, but have no idea what I've seen him in. Hot dogs, love 'em, esp. on the grill. But seldom have them for the usual reasons so will try the turkey. I was into Newport menthols back in those days!

Becky, thanks! I loved General Hospital back then and felt like they were family. tee hee!

the Browns, yes to the years! I'm a fan of goulash also!

Bonnie, wow! You had it all down pat and didn't miss a beat, I'm sure. That's what I should've done! I put the boys down for a nap, drank a couple of Tabs and watched the soaps.

Rhodesia said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Rhodesia said...

Oops sorry messed that up!

Have saved this, it sounds interesting, easy and reasonable. Thanks Pam. Keep well Diane

Karen said...

I watched Days for YEARS!! Then we got a tape recorder, so I recorded all the shows and found myself zipping past the people I didn't like, the commercials, the scenes where I "knew" what the outcome would be... turned out that for a couple of months I only watched about 10 minutes of each show. Only then did I realize that I could live without watching it. Of course I could start watching it again today and pick up right where I left off. Haha!

GLENDA CHILDERS said...

Now that is a great post title.

Fondly,
Glenda

Pam said...

Diane, thank you! It's a little different!

Karen, you're right about catching up with no problem! I watched DOOL for years also, until I started working and loved it.

Glenda, have a good weekend, my friend!

JG said...

I never did watch them. When my sons took naps I took a break by sitting down in front of my sewing machine for a half hour. Always had a t-shirt in the works. :)
~Judy

SavoringTime in the Kitchen said...

Your post made me smile! I've only ever watched one soap that I starting watching in college - Days of Our Lives. That old cast photo is amazing!

Walter's Goulash sounds wonderfl!

Joanne said...

I've never seen goulash prepared with frankfurter's before! I'll have to show this to my boyfriend as a new way to enjoy his hot dogs :)

Chris said...

I was thinking Walter Slezak was the "Walter" from The Big Lebowski but that turned out to be Walter Sobchak. Then I thought he might be one of those Sleestaks from Land of the Lost. Whatever...the goulash sounds great! ha ha

The Short (dis)Order Cook said...

I'm afraid I was strictly a "Days" fan in my college days. Interesting recipe though. I do love hot dogs and it does make a long-cooking recipe cheaper and quicker.

Cathy at Wives with Knives said...

I got hooked on a few soaps years ago and All My Children was my favorite. I bet I would like this version of goulash. Paprika and caraway seeds are essential and I love good frankfurters.

Dining Alone said...

That old cast photo of Days of Our Lives is so wonderful. I grew up watching DOOL with my Mom and Grandma, what a great memory. Oh and I am so making this hot dog dish next week.