all sorts of recipes, from me to you

all sorts of recipes, from me to you…

Monday, December 10, 2012

Nutty Chocolate Batons



I can’t even think about, much less eat, pistachios, without thinking of my dear, now departed, sister-in-law, Barb.  Many years ago, she raved about them, insisting I try them.  And, I’m glad she did…

So---when I came across this Nutty Chocolate Baton recipe recently, no doubt ~ I had to make these cookies!  They are crunchy buttery-tasting cookies, dipped into creamy chocolate and those irresistible pistachio nuts.






The English name pistachio, is derived from pisteh, it’s Persian name.  It’s also known as “the green almond” and is related to the cashew.

Pistachios go way back in history to the Queen of Sheba.  She declared them as food only for royalty, and forbade commoners to grow the tree.  The ancient king of Babylon, Nebuchadnezzar, had pistachio trees planted in his fabled hanging gardens.









Fast forward to the 1880’s, when pistachio nuts arrived in the United States. After many years of experimenting, the American pistachio industry was a reality as a commercial crop around the early 1930’s, with the majority of them grown in California.

The pistachio tree lives for centuries with no particular care needed.  Supposedly, Iran claims there is a 700-year-old tree still living.   One of the most popular uses of pistachios is pistachio ice cream.  I think this cookie should be the most popular use!

Just imagine the smell of these cookies baking in the oven...
And the taste when that first bite hits your taste buds…







Nutty Chocolate Batons

Ingredients:

3/4 cup butter, softened
1/3 cup sugar
1/3 cup almond paste
1 egg yolk
1-2/3 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup pistachios, finely chopped and toasted

Method:

In a small bowl, cream the butter, sugar and almond paste until light and fluffy.
Beat in egg yolk.
Gradually add flour and mix well.
Shape into a ball, then flatten into a disk.
Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 2 hours or until easy to handle.
Divide dough into eight equal portions: divide each portion in half.
On a lightly floured surface, roll each half into a 12-in. rope; cut each rope into 2-in. lengths.
Place 2 inches apart on greased baking sheets.
Bake at 350° for 6-8 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool completely.
In a microwave, melt chocolate chips; stir until smooth.
Dip ends of each cookie in chocolate, then in pistachios.
Let stand on waxed paper until set.
Store in an airtight container.
8 dozen


Be sure to visit my friend, Linda’s blog, @My Kind of Cooking for great tips and delicious easy recipes! 






Pin It

27 comments:

GLENDA CHILDERS said...

I love chocolate and any kind of nuts. These look fun, too.


Fondly,
Glenda

jose manuel said...

Que maravilla.

Saludos

Chaya said...

I have some almond paste and no plans to use it. This looks like a worthwhile cause and a delicious treat for the family. Thanks for your inspiration.

Sam @ My Carolina Kitchen said...

I too love pistachios, but didn't know I did until a couple of years ago. These batons sound fabulous and perfect for the holidays.
Sam

Red Couch Recipes said...

These really do look delicious and such a fun treat to add to a cookie tray. Joni

Amber (Sprinkled With Flour) said...

I love pistachios, so any dessert using them sounds good to me. :)

scrambledhenfruit said...

I do love pistachios, and these batons sound like a perfect cookie. I remember when it was hard to find anything but the red (dyed) pistachios! :)

Kathleen said...

Pam these look fabulous. Just pinned :)

Melinda said...

Mr. Ken would love these!

It's good to see you at Draming. Come by again soon.

M :)

Velva said...

Pistachios are like crack(laugh). I love them. These baton cookies raise them to a new level.

Velva

Linda Burgett said...

Oh, these little lovely's are going in my Christmas baskets this year. I start baking tomorrow, so this recipe is just in time. Thanks, Pam! :)

kitchen flavours said...

This looks so addictive! I love pistachios, but they are quite costly over here, most nuts are! Pistachios and choc, are certainly meant for each other!

bellini said...

These are so festive!!!

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

So pretty and festive! What a wonderful cookie recipe.

Cheers,

Rosa

The Café Sucré Farine said...

Yum, they sound wonderful!

Miz Helen said...

Hi Pam,
What a fabulous Christmas Cookie. So glad you stopped by to have tea with me, hope to see you again soon!
Miz Helen

David said...

Pam, Come on down and bake a batch of these goodies for my better half and I! They look great and pistachios are about our favorite nuts... Thanks for the recipe and Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

Pierce said...

Looks like a lovely treat to share around the holidays. Well, they look good for anytime but these are particularly beautiful to take to a party.

SavoringTime in the Kitchen said...

Oh I do love pistachios. I didn't know the history - very interesting. I would love these batons!

Reeni Pisano said...

I'm a pistachio lover too! These look amazing! So pretty.

Marina@Picnic at Marina said...

Pam, what a lovely treat and trip in history!

Jenn said...

I will forever think of my dad too when I see/hear pistachios! I have got to make these.. they look so delicious and I love chocolate with pistachios!! YUM!

Joanne said...

These are such great holiday cookies! I love how festive they look and that they have my favorite nut AND chocolate!

The Summer Kitchen Girls said...

Wow!! These look amazing :) I think this is going to be on this year's Christmas Cookie list!!! Thanks for sharing it Pam...as well as the history ~ loved it!

Karen said...

these look so festive!

Amelia said...

Hi Pam, your pistachio batons look cute, it sure look very tempting. Thanks for sharing the delicious recipe.

Have a nice week ahead.

Gloria said...

I love pistachios Pam, these are so cute and yumm!