all sorts of recipes, from me to you

all sorts of recipes, from me to you…

Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Lemony Chicken with Olives



If you like olives as much as I do, this Mediterranean-style chicken dish just might be right up your alley...



 
This recipe is my version of a Cooking Light recipe.  The original called for several more spices and cilantro, which I’m not crazy about.  I can smell it from a mile away. 

The mixture of ginger with paprika, red pepper and garlic is spicy with a bit of a bite.  The olives and zesty lemon are the perfect flavorful additions to the chicken.  I hope you try it ~ we thought it was great with a tossed salad and garlic cheese grits!



Lemony Chicken with Olives
Adapted

Ingredients:

1½ teaspoon lemon zest
2 teaspoons paprika
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon ground red pepper
¼ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon seasoned pepper
4 garlic cloves, minced
4 skinless boneless chicken breasts
Cooking spray
½ cup flour
¼ cup lemon juice
1 (14-ounce) can fat-free, less sodium chicken broth
12 pimento-stuffed olives, sliced

Method:

Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
Combine first 7 ingredients in a large bowl, stir well.
Add chicken and toss to coat.
Arrange in a baking dish coated with cooking spray.
Combine flour, juice, and broth, stirring with a whisk until smooth.
Sprinkle flour mixture over chicken, tossing to coat.
Top chicken with olive slices.
Bake at 325 degrees for 1 hour, or until fork tender.

Spicy, tender and delicious!


Be sure to visit my friend, Linda’s blog, @My Kind of Cooking for great tips and delicious easy recipes! 







28 comments:

Food, Fun and Life in the Charente said...

I love, love olives. I never used to but I decided it was an acquired taste. With not too much effort I acquired it :-) This sounds delicious. Keep well Diane

Dining Alone said...

I am very anti cilantro too! This looks awesome, I love paprika on anything.

♥LOVE2COOK MALAYSIA♥ said...

For a chickenlover like me, this dish is divine!!! So mouthwatering ;)

GLENDA CHILDERS said...

So many of my favorite flavors in this one recipe.


Fondly,
Glenda

David said...

Pam, My better half would really like this entree! But I'm a problem in that I have way too many dislikes re: food, and olives are one of those dislikes. My wife would probably trade me in except she has way too many years invested in training me... Take Care, Big Daddy Dav

SavoringTime in the Kitchen said...

That looks so delicious! I love olives.

Shug said...

I do love olives, so I'm guessing this is a recipe that I would really appreciate. I'm not big on spices right now (got something going on with my tongue)and my mouth heats up way to fast..
this one sounds just perfect for flavor and not too hot!

The Café Sucré Farine said...

What a delicious way to prepare boneless chicken breasts, love the olives with it!

Gloria said...

Pam this look really delicious!!

Chris said...

That reminds me of a dish Sam at My Carolina Kitchen did a few years ago. I think the briny olives make this dish. Love it.

Velva said...

I can totally appreciate olives and lemons. Although, I enjoy he flavor of cilantro, my husband does not.

Thanks for sharing.

Velva

Parsley Sage said...

I do love olives! This is a very cool recipe :)

Becky said...

Pam.
I love all of the flavors in this dish, and my hubby would especially like the olives. Another wonderful chicken recipe.

Salsa Verde said...

Hi Pam,
What a delicious looking dish and amazing combination of flavours!!
Cheers and thanks for stopping by.
Lia.

Marina@Picnic at Marina said...

Hi Pam, that chicken is looking good. Spicy and tender, with a touch of lemon, count me in! :)

Linda Burgett said...

Cilantro is one of those funny ingredients that you either love or hate. I like it in some recipes, but I think you were wise to take it out of this one. Now it is recipe sure to please everyone!

Debbi Does Dinner Healthy said...

I'm not an olive fan but the chicken sounds delicious! Simple and tasty!

katiez said...

Yup, that's for me.... Lots of olives and no cilantro LOL

Heather Schmitt-Gonzalez said...

I love olives...especially green ones...but of course, I'm the only one in the house who does. Guess I'll have to make myself an extra special batch of this delicious chicken! =)

Ocean Breezes and Country Sneezes said...

I love olives, and my mouth is watering! This looks delicious!

Have a great weekend!

Joanne said...

What a great combination of flavors!

WizzyTheStick said...

Very delicious looking chicken dish.

Karen said...

I love lemon with chicken and if it was me, I'd have about a half pound of olives over that chicken!!

Reeni Pisano said...

I love the combo of spices here with the olives and lemon! Cilantro seems like a strange spice to use with olives. I like it better your way!

kitchen flavours said...

Yes, I do love olives and this lemony chicken looks so delicious!

anthony stemke said...

I personally like coriander but this recipe is truly delicious. Got to tryu it.

Chaya said...

One problem of your blog, for me, is I love each and every one of your recipes. I want to make this chicken. I want to make everything. I would have to give up my job to be a happy follower of yours. Thanks again for sharing wonderful recipes with us.

JG said...

My fam is going to enjoy this spicy chicken, Pam. Paprika + ginger, yummy!
~Judy