all sorts of recipes, from me to you

all sorts of recipes, from me to you…

Thursday, December 13, 2012

Chocolate-covered Cherry Cookies



I’m right in the middle of “cookie baking season,” and I have finally found my new favorite Christmas cookie ~ that just happens to include cherries!






This recipe is adapted from the “Taste of Home Christmas Cookie Cookbook.”  The chocolate cookies turn out rich and decadent, with the cherries topping them, and then fudgy chocolate frosting blanketing the whole cookie. 

The cookies are a bit unique in that the frosting is spooned over the cookie before baking.  The frosting becomes creamy, and the cookie, moist and tender. 

Sinful is really my word for them.  If you like cherries and chocolate as much as I do, this will probably be your new favorite Christmas cookie too. 

Actually, I intend to make them now and then ~ hear that Bubba?





Ready to bake



Chocolate-covered Cherry Cookies
Adapted

Ingredients:

½ cup butter, softened
1 cup sugar
1 egg
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1½ cups flour
½ cup baking cocoa (Hershey’s Cocoa)
¼ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon baking soda
¼ teaspoon baking powder
48 maraschino cherries, blotted dry

Frosting:

1 cup (6-ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
½ cup sweetened condensed milk
1 to 3 teaspoons maraschino cherry juice

Method:

In a bowl, cream together butter and sugar until fluffy.
Beat in egg and vanilla.
Combine the dry ingredients, and gradually add to creamed mixture (batter will be very firm).
Shape into 48 balls, about 1-inch round.
Place on ungreased baking sheets.
Make indentation in center with your thumb, being careful to not go all the way through dough to baking sheet.
Place one cherry in thumbprint of each cookie.

For frosting, melt chocolate chips in condensed milk in a small saucepan over low heat, stirring constantly.
Remove from heat.
Add cherry juice and stir until smooth, not runny.
Spoon 1 teaspoon of frosting over each cookie (the frosting will spread over cookie during baking).

Bake at 350 degrees for 10-12 minutes, (I test cookie dough with a toothpick coming out dry).
Cool on wire racks.
Makes 4 dozen

They are addictive, to me!


Be sure to visit my friend, Linda’s blog, @My Kind of Cooking for great tips and delicious easy recipes! 






Pin It

16 comments:

  1. You holiday mavens are going to get me cooking sooner or later, aren't you. You have taken me way back, 40 years in fact, to when I always gave my grandmother a box of chocolate covered cherries for her birthday and for Christmas (what else does a guy give an old lady he loves as a gift?).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stephen, start baking a sweet? Can't wait to see that! Actually, a box of chocolate covered cherries seems like the perfect gift to me. And these are so close, it isn't funny! I bet your grandmother adored you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These looks so tasty good! Realy tempted to try making these; pinning them for sure.
    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  4. I still have masses of cherries in my freezer, may not taste quite as good but I will try this recipe out with some. Thanks. Happy Christmas Diane

    ReplyDelete
  5. How handy to put the frosting on before it bakes.

    This may top my other favorite cookies ... the butter gooey one of yours that I have made so many times.

    Fondly,
    Glenda

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rita, thanks! I hope you try them. They're yummy!

    Diane, that might work, but will probably be a bit tart. Dry them well. Hope it works for you, if you try them!

    Glenda, thanks! Tthose gooey cookies are great, but these beat them, in my book! But then, I love love cherries!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pam... Very different and very, very sinful! Hard to miss being a winner with these ingredients... Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

    ReplyDelete
  8. My mother always had chocolate covered cherries at Christmas. This is even better than the original!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dave,thanks! They are my kind of cookie!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ok Pam....don't think of me as a crazy woman, but I have to ask (You know I'm not all that good in the kitchen) but, is baking cocoa the same as just plain cocoa...like hershey's powered cocoa?
    these look so very goooooood

    ReplyDelete
  11. These are going on my cookie list for next week- chocolate covered cherries are soooo good! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Savoring Time, thanks! They're close to chocolate covered cherries!



    Shug, you look perfectly normal to me. :-) I used Hershey's Special Dark Cocoa. Regular Hershey's Cocoa would be great too. Sorry about the confusion, and I will change it in the recipe. It's really an easy cookie to make that tastes divine! I really hope you try them!


    scrambledhenfruit,good! I bet you will like them!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the chocolate cherry combo! These sound great!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, this looks wonderfully delicious! Cherries and chocs are made for each other! Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've never seen a cookie like this where chocolate goes on top before baking. I bet these are delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. My father-in-law loved chocolate covered cherries. This would have been his favorite cookie. I wish he was still here to bake for, he was a wonderful man!

    ReplyDelete

I'm happy to hear what you have to say, and appreciate your taking the time to comment. Thanks for stopping by and sharing your thoughts!

Keep smiling,
Pam