all sorts of recipes, from me to you

all sorts of recipes, from me to you…

Monday, November 26, 2012

Turkey Potpies



Way back here, I told you about my kitchen gadget fetish, especially this one ~ the Breville Personal Pie Maker.







I’ve made fruit mini pies in the pie maker, and finally got around to making savory pot pies.  I used leftover turkey from Thanksgiving, but use your choice of meat, or go vegetarian with no meat at all.  Use whatever vegetables you have on hand, or a bag of frozen mixed vegetables works well. 

The next time, I will be adding mushrooms.  Or maybe I’ll try tuna with a combo of vegetables, or a shepherd’s pie, or maybe even quiche. 

Traditional pie making will always be around, but with this little gadget, mini pies couldn’t be any easier or quicker to make.   Dinner or an afternoon treat will be ready in no time!  












Turkey Potpies

Ingredients:

1 tablespoon butter
1 tablespoon flour
2/3 cup whole milk
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1 cup diced cooked turkey
¼ cup cooked onion
¼ cup diced cooked potato
¼ cup diced cooked carrot
¼ cup corn
¼ cup green beans
Salt and freshly ground pepper
1 pie dough round for 8-inch pie
1 frozen all-butter prepared puff pastry sheet, thawed

Method:

In a frying pan, over medium-low heat, melt the butter. 
Whisk in the flour and cook until light golden brown, about 2 minutes.
Remove from the heat.
Whisk in the milk.
Place back on medium heat and bring to a boil, whisking occasionally.
Boil, whisking until the mixture starts to thicken, about 2 minutes.
Remove from the heat. 
Stir in the Worcestershire sauce.
In a bowl, combine the milk mixture, meat and vegetables.
Stir until well blended.
Season to taste with salt and pepper, set aside.

Preheat the pie maker until ready to use.
Meanwhile, using the pastry cutter, cut the pie dough into 4 large rounds and the puff pastry into 4 small rounds.
Working quickly, place each large pie dough round into the pie maker.
Mold the dough into the wells to form the bottom crusts.
Divide the filling among the crusts and spread evenly.
Place a small puff pastry round over each filled crust.
Bake until the crusts are browned, about 10 minutes.
Using a fork, lift one edge of a pie just enough to slide a small offset spatula under the bottom and transfer to a wire rack to cool slightly.
Repeat with the remaining pies.
Serve warm.


Potpies ~ Delicious way for leftover Thanksgiving turkey!



Be sure to visit my friend, Linda’s blog, @My Kind of Cooking for great tips and delicious easy recipes! 








Pin It

12 comments:

  1. Thanks Pam.... you've just made my donner tonight. I didn't even think to make potpies with the leftovers! Yummo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to love tuna pot pies when I was a kid, I just got a huge craving for them now. I might need to get one of those things :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw someone fingering a box of refrigerated pie dough at Safeway this morning. I've thought about it off and on all day. I think I have an idea how to jerry rig something like your mini pie maker. Video tape at 11.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow these are adorable!! And the ultimate comfort food.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Making potpies even more simple than they are.. LOVE it!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was almost ready to pull the trigger on buying one of these but stopped because of the reviews. Yours look like they turned out perfectly though! I made have to revisit buying one :) I froze a couple of bags of turkey just to make pot pies.

    ReplyDelete
  7. In my mind, nothing beats a turkey or chicken pot pie. I have been looking all over for these mini pie plate; perfection for the 2 of us.
    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's been a long time since I last taken turkey. Yours just look so tempting.
    Kristy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great idea about the tuna pie. I have to try that!

    ReplyDelete
  10. There aren't that many single use appliances that I want but that is one of them. I have their panini press and it is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your husband has got to be the luckiest man in the world to have a wife that cooks like you do, these pot pies look great!

    ReplyDelete

I'm happy to hear what you have to say, and appreciate your taking the time to comment. Thanks for stopping by and sharing your thoughts!

Keep smiling,
Pam