all sorts of recipes, from me to you

all sorts of recipes, from me to you…

Monday, November 19, 2012

Oven-Roasted Sweet Potatoes and Onions



I’m crazy for sweet potatoes ~ unfortunately I’m the only one in this house who is.  On the other side of the coin, he’d like cooked carrots for dinner, and I’d rather never.






When I was growing up, I loved this time of year, as Mom would bake sweet potatoes frequently.  Ummm, mmm!  A nice big sweet potato, with just a lump of butter, and a little salt and pepper would do.  Now, I’m into peeling them and roasting them also.




~ Sweet potato blossom ~
kind of looks like a Morning Glory, doesn't it...



This recipe is from Cooking Light Complete Cookbook.  Here’s what it says about the dish:  “The gently flavored potatoes and onions develop a richer, more complex sweetness as they caramelize.  This recipe requires only one dish and is pretty much hands-off cooking.”  That sums it up, except to say these roasted sweet potatoes and onions are delectable and dulcet!



Oven-Roasted Sweet Potatoes and Onions

Ingredients:

4 medium peeled sweet potatoes, cut into 2-inch chunks
2 sweet onions, cut into 1-inch pieces
2 tablespoons olive oil
¾ teaspoon McCormick garlic-pepper blend
½ teaspoon salt

Method:

Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
Coat a 13” x 9” baking dish with cooking spray.
Combine all ingredients in the dish, tossing to coat.
Bake for 35 minutes, until fork tender, stirring occasionally.


Sweet Potatoes, delectable and dulcet!


Be sure to visit my friend, Linda’s blog, @My Kind of Cooking for great tips and delicious easy recipes! 








13 comments:

^..^Corgidogmama said...

What a killer combo! I love roasted sweet 'taters!

laurie said...

Sweet potatoes are one of my favorites. I'm glad to see them offered at so many restaurants now.

My hubby doesn't like them either...but this looks like a great way to make them for ME!

Chris said...

Pam, this looks perfect for tables this week.

GLENDA CHILDERS said...

I love roasted veg and this looks delicious. I can imagine how wonderful your kitchen smells.

Fondly,
Glenda

SavoringTime in the Kitchen said...

I am so with you on sweet potatoes! I love them baked with a lump of butter :) I'm willing to try them other way though and these sound delicious.

The Summer Kitchen Girls said...

OH Pam! I love sweet potatoes and I've never tried roasting them before...this sounds devine! Can't wait to try them ~ yum!!
Do enjoy your Thanksgiving day!!
Karla & Karrie

Jenn said...

I'm the only one that likes sweet potatoes in my house too! Heck, I'm the only one in my family that likes them! Such a shame too, they just don't know what they are missing!!

Linda www.mykindofcooking.com said...

I love sweet potatoes! I always order a sweet potato or sweet potato fries when they are on the menu at restaurants. This is a recipe you can cook anytime of the year but it would be an awesome addition to my Thanksgiving table!

teresa said...

you can't have thanksgiving without sweet potatoes. these look great!

Rita said...

Love the idea of roasting them; makes everything a bit sweeter; Happy Thanksgiving Pam.
Rita

David said...

Pam, I like your Christmas tree! It has a real Holiday look to it... Bright, shiney and hopeful! Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

hbs1991 said...

Hi Pam,
Sweet Potatoes are members of the morning glory family. Funny how we eat somethings and others are related like these.
Kind of like you will die from eating deadly nightshade, but many things we eat are members of the nightshade family, like tomatoes and potatoes.

Debbi Does Dinner Healthy said...

My family is the same way!! Hubs hates sweet potatoes but loves cooked carrots. Blech. Love this with onions!!