all sorts of recipes, from me to you

all sorts of recipes, from me to you…

Monday, November 12, 2012

Mary’s Roast Beef



I don’t know Mary, but I savored every bite of her roast beef!






Instead of the oven for roast beef, this time I used the slow cooker, and a recipe from Southern Living Slow-Cooker Cookbook.   It’s the way to a tender roast that nearly falls apart at the touch of a fork for mouthwatering deliciousness.  It turns out succulent, juicy and good enough for company too, I think.

This simple recipe has the beef cooking in gravy, with chopped onion and garlic, along with dried basil.  Nothing can be easier and more tasty than this roast beef served alongside mashed potatoes laden with gravy!

But, to tell the truth, while I thought it was delicious and would like to cook it again, Bill wants no part of a sirloin tip roast prepared this way again!  

To each his own…









Mary’s Roast Beef

Ingredients:

1 (2½ to 3-pound) beef sirloin tip roast
2 tablespoons oil
1 medium onion, quartered and sliced
3 garlic cloves, chopped
1 cup brewed coffee
¾ cup water, divided
1 beef bouillon cube
1 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon seasoned pepper
2 teaspoons dried basil
Flour for gravy

Method:
Sear roast on all sides in hot oil in a large skillet.
Place roast in a 4-quart slow cooker.
Add onion and garlic to skillet, and sauté until tender.
Blend in coffee, ½ cup water, bouillon cube and next 3 ingredients.
Transfer to slow cooker.
Cover and cook on LOW 6-7 hours or until tender.
Transfer roast to serving platter.
Measure drippings, and return to slow cooker.
For every cup of drippings, add 1 tablespoon flour to the remaining ¼ cup water.
Whisk to blend flour and water.
Stir mixture into drippings.
Cook, uncovered, on HIGH 5 minutes or until gravy thickens, whisking frequently.
Serve gravy with roast.
6-8 servings



ENJOY!!!


Be sure to visit my friend, Linda’s blog, @My Kind of Cooking for great tips and delicious easy recipes! 







Pin It

22 comments:

  1. Remember the old-style roast from the 50's? You cooked the meat in the oven for a few hours with canned mushroom soup and dried onion soup mix. We loved that when I was a kid. Would that be more Bill's style?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Deliciosa, que buena receta.

    Saludos

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stephen, yes, I remember that. He likes it rubbed with a little garlic, salt and pepper and roasted medium rare. In the slow cooker, it was more like a chuck roast, totally different. I thought it was really good!

    jose manuel, gracias! Es deliciosa!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have to admit that I would not cook it like this, I like my beef very rare so I think this would not suit me at all. Have a good week Diane

    ReplyDelete
  5. Diane, I do too normally, but liked this for a change.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pam, slow cooker is such a great creation: everything comes out just right! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wonder if it was the coffee flavor that turned Bill off? It certainly looks delicious to me!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can never think to use my slow cooker! This sounds really good but am wondering if you even taste the coffee when it's done?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Marina, yes, most of the time!

    SavoringTime in the Kitchen, I thought the same myself, even though he likes coffee. Plus, it was probably too well done for his taste.

    Cheryl, the gravy has a bold taste due to the coffee, but not a distinct coffee flavor. I thought it was great!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Call this Temptation. I am going to admit, the mashed potatoes are what I want. We have cut back on meat so I am choosing not to look too carefully. You did a great job.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks very delicious roast beef! Thank you for sharing your ingredients, I will surely try that.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This does look moist, tender and delicious. Maybe it was good your husband wasn't crazy about it - that left more for you! I bet the leftovers would be wonderful in soup!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Chaya, good name! I like the mashed potatoes too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Pam this looks delicious to me. I love Southern Living recipes. I'm pinning this right now!

    ReplyDelete
  15. It does look real good; it;s too bad he didn't enjoy it. I prefer a pot roast using boneless blade; a little more fat.

    ReplyDelete
  16. mmmmm, you can't beat a good roast!

    ReplyDelete
  17. All my travel has put me behind in reading all of your incredible recipes! Sorry Bill, but I think I would like this recipe. I love to use my slow cooker!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is definitely the perfect comfort food! Love that it is a slow cooker meal!

    ReplyDelete
  19. The Café Sucré Farine, I hadn't thought of that! Good one!

    Kathleen, I do too, they have some great recipes!

    Rita, yes. There's a little more flavor with that.

    teresa, my thoughts exactly!

    Linda, you have been one busy lady and I hope all went well with the PP!

    Joanne, thanks! Have a good day!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Mmm, good! That looks delectable.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Yum, it looks delicious to me. I just don't use my slow cooker often enough. It is such an easy way to prepare dinner and the results are usually delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  22. My questions have already been asked and answered by everyone else (why Bill didn't like it).

    ReplyDelete

I'm happy to hear what you have to say, and appreciate your taking the time to comment. Thanks for stopping by and sharing your thoughts!

Keep smiling,
Pam