all sorts of recipes, from me to you

all sorts of recipes, from me to you…

Friday, November 2, 2012

Homemade Banana Lemon Bread



If you have over-ripe bananas over there on your kitchen counter, this recipe, not the garbage can, is the way to go with them!







It’s great the way the zing of the lemon perks up the sweetness of the bananas in this loaf of banana lemon bread.  You get a mellow banana flavor when using bananas that are too ripe for any other purpose.  Just remember not to over-mix the dough; mix it by hand, not an electric mixer. 

Should you bake a loaf of this, you will have a tasty quick bread that is good enough for breakfast, as a snack or dessert!







Homemade Banana Lemon Bread

Ingredients:

½ cup butter, melted
1 cup granulated sugar
2 eggs
1 tablespoon vanilla
1½ cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
½ cup sour cream
1 tablespoon grated lemon zest
¾ cup walnuts, chopped
2 medium bananas (1 cup), mashed

Method:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Grease and flour a 9” x 5” loaf pan or 3 mini loaf pans.
In a large bowl, stir together the melted butter and sugar.
Add eggs and vanilla and beat well.
Combine flour, baking soda and salt.
Stir into the butter mixture until smooth.
Gently fold in sour cream, lemon zest, walnuts and bananas.
Spread evenly into the prepared pan.
Bake at 350 degrees for 60 minutes for large loaf pan or 25 minutes for mini loaves, or until toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
Cool in pan for 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.
Makes 1 large loaf or 3 mini loaves


ENJOY!


Be sure to visit my friend, Linda’s blog, @My Kind of Cooking for great tips and delicious easy recipes! 




And ~ take a minute to enter my giveaway for Tate’s Bake Shop Cookie and Bar Tower, if you haven’t already.  You just might be the happy winner!






Pin It

12 comments:

Deb said...

I will certainly bake this. We are big banana bread lovers. Thanks for the recipe, Pam.

Shug said...

Touch of lemon does the trick. I love banana bread and now to add a twist of lemon...yummo

jose manuel said...

Excelente la receta se ve genial.

Saludos

Cheryl @ TFD said...

This sounds yummy, Pam! I will be trying this one since I've never eaten banana bread with lemon before. The pork loin recipe below will be another one I'll be trying out, too. I love pork loin, but sometimes have trouble getting it to turn out moist and good. Thanks for the recipes and have a good weekend!

Velva said...

I have learned to freeze bananas once they are passed their prime. I make banana bread all the time and the addition of the lemon is a really nice touch. Awesome idea!

Velva

kitchen flavours said...

Lovely banana bread! This is perfect for breakfast or a tea-time treat! And with a cup of tea!
Have a great weekend!

Tracy Wood said...

I agree with the other folks who commented - lemon is a great idea in banana bread. Also, I think a touch of sour cream makes everything better. I have a really good banana bread recipe on my blog (from Martha Stewart) which uses sour cream and it is excellent!

Ocean Breezes and Country Sneezes said...

Hmm, love the touch of lemon! I'll have to give this a try!

Have a lovely weekend!

Mary & Dukeums!

teresa said...

what a great combo of flavors, this looks great!

Karen said...

This sounds good. I freeze overripe bananas until I can get around to making bread.

Andrea said...

Bananas and lemons are such a great combination. Your bread has such a beautiful shape and the crumb looks so moist.

laurie said...

Hi!

I can find the comments but I still can't read the post. It just won't come through even on Chrome.

Bummer!