all sorts of recipes, from me to you

all sorts of recipes, from me to you…

Friday, November 9, 2012

Creamed Spinach



You may know from my blog, that growing up, Dad had plenty of gardens.  After he retired, he established the first community garden in Louisville, and later created the display garden at the Louisville Zoo, maintaining it for several years.  




 


Along with the produce from those gardens, he had a large garden at home, which yielded even more produce.  There was never a lack of fresh vegetables growing up, nor later when Bill and I had our own home.  Oh, I had a garden at our house too!




Popeye's source of super-human strength!



The produce was all fresh and delicious, except for the broccoli.  It’s great frozen, but tastes totally different to me when fresh. Spinach is another matter ~ I adore it, no matter if it’s fresh, frozen or canned.  I even liked it when I was a kid.  I was the one at school who ate the other kids’ spinach to avoid reprimands from the lunchroom monitors.  I was happy to do them the favor, and eat their spinach.

Nowadays, we usually enjoy spinach with just a little salt and pepper, but when I want to doctor it up, this is the recipe.  It’s quick and tasty!


Creamed Spinach

Ingredients:
        
2 tablespoons butter
¼ cup onion, minced
2 tablespoons flour
½ teaspoon each, salt and seasoned pepper
2 (10-ounce) bags fresh spinach
¾ cup half and half
¼ cup Gruyère cheese, grated

Method:

In a large skillet over medium heat, melt butter.
Add onion and sauté until soft.
Whisk in flour and seasonings.
Stir in half and half and cheese and heat well, stirring until sauce has thickened slightly.
Place spinach in sauce in batches and cook until wilted, covering after each addition.
Adjust seasonings if needed.
Serve immediately.


ENJOY!!!


Be sure to visit my friend, Linda’s blog, @My Kind of Cooking for great tips and delicious easy recipes! 






10 comments:

StephenC said...

Glad to see an idea for creamed spinach. Mine is never quite satisfactory.

jose manuel said...

Me encantan las espinacas, que delicia

Food, Fun and Life in the Charente said...

I have given up growing spinach it bolts on me far too quickly! I make creamed chard in much the same way and yes it is yummy. Sometimes I ad a bit of Dijon mustard as well yum yum. Keep well Diane

Grubarazzi said...

I could totally go for a giant bowl of this right now.

GLENDA CHILDERS said...

I tried making creamed spinach once and it turned out horribly. I will have to try your recipe. Everything I make of yours ... is great.

Fondly,
Glenda

Joanne said...

I am a huge spinach fan also, though...I've never had it creamed! Crazy. Definitely need to try this!

RSA Australia said...

Good thing you're father has a garden of vegetables! I love spinach, it taste terrific.

Linda www.mykindofcooking.com said...

I think this recipe would make everyone love spinach!

Karen said...

Spinach is my favorite thing to plant in the garden. I've never made it creamed... will have to try it.

Chris said...

One of my favorite side dishes of all time! Your cheese sauce is luscious.